Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

621 - 640 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I see.

I will do that for sure since our cars need that. The other entry option is Buddyclub RSD with a 18kg rear Swift spring. I’ve heard those coilovers have a wide valve range so I emailed buddyclubusa and they told me I could go up to 4kg higher maximum out the box.

Also, I have a rear 23mm Eibach rear sway and ASR spherical end links. One time on track my tires weren’t warmed up and it brought the rear end out violently. Dialed down the back tires to 28 psi and it helps for now.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
A rear sway bar prolly would have helped me... I was still on stock sways...

·
Waifu Deluxe
708 Posts
47 out of 94 in PAX with my friends ES Miata on Sunday.

First time really driving a rwd at speed and it's the best PAX finish I've had lmao.

.5 away from the bulk of the ES Miata guys as well. Pretty stoked on that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anybody have the steering rack riser or is shortened tie rods the way to go with a lowered car? Inverted tie rods seems like it would work best for slammed cars. Extended RCAs seem to cause angle in the LCAs.

I’ll raise my car up a quarter inch for next season and change camber and tire pressure. My fronts are at 32 cold, 38 hot.
Rears 32 cold, 36 hot.

Attachments

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
the longer/shorter tie rods depends on your coilovers and ride height and alignment, since the steering arm is on the damper and all. You're basically making sure you have enough thread engagement to get the alignment you want. I was able to use the stock tie rods with my FA500 coilovers, but I was at a relatively tall ride height for a coilover'd car.

We put inverted tie rods on my sister's RSX, this was back in like 2005-2006, but as far as I can remember the steering still felt weird after coilovers (Buddyclub streets) on that car like it did on my more recent RSX. The only time the steering really felt right to me was when it was on stock suspension.

·
Registered
155 Posts
zrt Motorsports touring car based out of Dubai (what they’ve told me) runs steering rack inserts to eliminate steering play, and rca to eliminate bump steer. They use AST 3-way and like 600lbs front/1200lbs rear.

The Ohlins and J’s racing coilovers are nice too because they incorporate a flat arm design. But then they would need revalving since their dampers off the shelf are paired with spring rates too low.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
I had RCA on both cars and didn't have the steering rack inserts on either.

Revalving on Ohlins isn't too bad, thats what I have on my Miata. List price is 2k and I paid about 2700-2800 including new Swift springs and an adapter thats required for the NC application. That being said, I think BC can do flat arm if asked. I remember seeing that on someones car on here...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Must be cheaper for the Miata then... I see the DFVs listed for 3000. A pair of swift springs each for 170. So that’s 340 plus whatever revalving service fee plus whatever tax and shipping.

Really? I’ve never heard of BC Racing doing that

*found them. They’re the bc racing type BR extreme drops with swift springs upgrade that are considered a custom build for higher than 16kg spring rates.
Nice price too. I honestly forgot about BC Racing but how good is their damping compared to the Ohlins DFV I wonder.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
I mean they're not Ohlins... but they're decent... everybody that has BC's seams to like them...

That being said, I don't think DFV's are worth 3k + revalve job

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m also looking into Buddyclub RSD for around 1,500 before a pair of swift springs and also the RS Evo 3-ways for about 2,500 before swift springs...

I think I need to work on braking later. My corner exits look pretty good though. A bucket seat is in high order. The Buddyclub P1 Limited are super light and very affordable.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
I'd go for the BC just for that steering arm... when the other choice is Buddyclub anyway... Buddyclub isn't anything special as far as dampers go...

and for a seat I recommend getting a brand that specializes in that, like Recaro or OMP or Sparco, etc... also go to 425 motorsports in Bellevue and sit in a bunch of seats in their showroom, different brands fit different people. Personally I found OMP to be the most comfortable (within my budget, Status seats are awesome but $$$). Don't buy the Planted brackets that 425 sells tho, buy PCI brackets.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Right, more companies should have designed it like that. BC Racing also make a 2-way I believe.

I’ve only sat in DC5Rs, EP3Rs, and rep buckets. I was just looking at the Sparco Fighter seats. Yeah I’ve heard Planted are super low.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey guys just to build on the coilover conversation, Im in the market to get a more serious but affordable coilover, I currently have BCs with off the shelf specs. I would like to get the flat arm variants with custom rates , 14kg F and 20kg rear. Would those be considered the custom extreme drop option from BC ?

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
Right, more companies should have designed it like that. BC Racing also make a 2-way I believe.

I’ve only sat in DC5Rs, EP3Rs, and rep buckets. I was just looking at the Sparco Fighter seats. Yeah I’ve heard Planted are super low.
PCI can usually go lower in most applications, I'm not sure about the RSX specifically tho cause I didn't have PCI. The reason I recommend PCI over Planted is that its easier to work with, doesn't require drilling, and I think its cheaper too.

Hey guys just to build on the coilover conversation, Im in the market to get a more serious but affordable coilover, I currently have BCs with off the shelf specs. I would like to get the flat arm variants with custom rates , 14kg F and 20kg rear. Would those be considered the custom extreme drop option from BC ?
the whole slammed thing isn't my cup of tea, I don't know the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah those would be custom and rates those high will require the Swift Spring option says BC Racing. For the dc5 you want a rear spring rate to be almost double the fronts to match the wheel motion rate. Is this a track only car?

I have been prioritizing other parts besides suspension and looking back at old photos there is a ton of body lean and I can feel the entire cars weight lift from one side when I’m cornering. Feels floaty especially Turn8B and 9 up the blind hill.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
What was your best time at the Ridge? I think the best I did on the RSX was a 2:06, but thats very much driver limited... about 5 seconds faster on my miata..
2:02x... on 200tw RE71R street tires, Carbotech XP8 no BBK, base cal, and no aero. Search Antiherodc5 on YouTube for that lap. Somehow I forgot to tap start record on Harry’s lap timer but I have the GoPro footage.

The car definitely has more in it.
You two make me sad with your times.
With turbo, I'm still only 2:02.96. That's with RE71R on the front.
Last time I went to the Ridge was in 2016 or so.

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
Last time I went to the Ridge was in 2016 or so.
I'll be joining the boost club for next season... and the cooling issues club...

First and only track day of 2019, and I broke something in the transmission, after getting a personal best by 0.23 seconds.
https://youtu.be/nlWJUknpFg4
and I really really really hope not the broken transmission club...

·
Fat Free
559 Posts

btw, if you end up getting the BC's with the flat steering arm, let me know how the steering feels with it...

·
Registered
155 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Last time I went to the Ridge was in 2016 or so.[/QUOTE]

Are you the Tkane tuning guy with the greddy turbo?

And yeah, I’ll report back sometime next year. I’d like to install SHG steering rack inserts while I have the motor out this winter to reinforce it.

621 - 640 of 652 Posts