Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This strikes me as completely unacceptable. There are variables like "got the student's consent ahead of time" but I don't even think that's OK. You get tunnel vision out there and if you see or feel a hand you weren't expecting, bad things can happen. Especially in a casual/amateur setting like HPDE, "we're going to die" seems like the only appropriate time for forceful intervention.

Am I out of line here? (To be clear, this didn't happen to me, I was just discussing it with a friend)

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Why the hell would an instructor grab the wheel except maybe in an emergency, like an imminent crash? and even then it sounds like a horrible horrible idea.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
the females of my peoples can't drive for crap so i grab the wheel whenever we park or merge on the freeway. whats the big deal?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
the females of my peoples can't drive for crap so i grab the wheel whenever we park or merge on the freeway. whats the big deal?
LOL man speaks the truth I married an Asian gal... :thumbsup:

but in all seriousness yeah :thumbsdow to grabbing the wheel. Just a dumb move putting student/instructor/ and other nearby cars at risk:run:

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Thank you.
worse thing I've done as an instructor is slap the drivers hand on the shift lever when they insisted on driving gangster style... :iptf:

Holding the shift knob does not make you faster nor does it help you turn!!!

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
i imagine during a "we are going to die" situation, upsetting the balance of the car by jerking/grabbing the steering wheel might not be that great of an idea.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
worse thing I've done as an instructor is slap the drivers hand on the shift lever when they insisted on driving gangster style... :iptf:

Holding the shift knob does not make you faster nor does it help you turn!!!
any lawsuits?

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
only a couple for copying other drivers lines. Who knew that apexes & braking zones were covered under IP law?

·
Go-Go JDM Power!!
3,887 Posts
I had an instructor do that to me and it did nothing but scare me into driving absolutely HORRIBLE lines. All it did was induce even more understeer than before, led to blown apexes and me second-guessing EVERYTHING. I spent the whole time puttering around the track, pretty much just waiting for the guy to grab my wheel again and then wait for the guy to tell me how awesome he was and how bad I was at driving.

It's not cool at all. No matter how good an instructor thinks he can steer from the passenger seat, it's NOT going to help the car get anywhere at all if you're driving at anything over 5/10ths.

My vindication came though when after my 2nd session I asked the guy if I'd ever be able to run under 2-minutes at the track with my RSX. His response was "I run in the 1:40s with my car, and that's REALLY fast...so if you're ever going to get anywhere close to that, you might as well get rid of that car...but don't feel bad, you're new at this...don't concern yourself with trying to be as fast as I am."

Last year I ran a 1:32 in my pathetic RSX.

Eat it, wheel-grabber.

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,868 Posts
yeah, mife wife likes to drive in the bike lane... scares the shit out of me.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had an instructor do that to me and it did nothing but scare me into driving absolutely HORRIBLE lines. All it did was induce even more understeer than before, led to blown apexes and me second-guessing EVERYTHING. I spent the whole time puttering around the track, pretty much just waiting for the guy to grab my wheel again and then wait for the guy to tell me how awesome he was and how bad I was at driving.

It's not cool at all. No matter how good an instructor thinks he can steer from the passenger seat, it's NOT going to help the car get anywhere at all if you're driving at anything over 5/10ths.

My vindication came though when after my 2nd session I asked the guy if I'd ever be able to run under 2-minutes at the track with my RSX. His response was "I run in the 1:40s with my car, and that's REALLY fast...so if you're ever going to get anywhere close to that, you might as well get rid of that car...but don't feel bad, you're new at this...don't concern yourself with trying to be as fast as I am."

Last year I ran a 1:32 in my pathetic RSX.

Eat it, wheel-grabber.
Post of the month. :rotfl:

As people have pointed out, that kind of intervention is most likely going to make things worse.

I think it's a straight ego problem for anyone to do that. Great doers are not always great teachers. It implies the person is just impatient and frustrated with the student's mistakes, which basically means they're not conveying it effectively.

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,868 Posts
What brought all this up?

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Short story, it happened to someone I spoke with and I flipped out when I heard it. He didn't seem particularly bothered by it, which is not a trend I would like to see accelerate.

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
I can't find the video but it happened to someone locally. They stayed where they were to video a crash. Pocono HPDE crash. The instructor had every right at that point IMO, they wouldn't listen.

Found it...She had every right...She wanted to get away fromt he crash and the guy wanted to tape it.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Happens-to-the-best-of-us_43500.htm

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
i was kidding. lol.

i grew up in the 626. mostly populated by Asian immigrants. my horn (on my quick release) wasn't working for a few months. the worse is trying to honk with a broken horn (and waving and screaming frantically) at some Asian woman who can't merge out of the supermarket parking lot correctly.

back in' 05, at one point, we were directing people on how to park in the parking lot so they wouldn't hit our cars at the meet. lawl.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts