Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't posted much here at all but I thought I'd give this a try. Searching for the information I'm looking for has proven difficult given the vast amounts of pages.

I have a 2006 RSX Type-S ASpec. It currently has ASpec wheels with Re71R's, Hondata reflash, Injen CAI, ASpec shocks/struts, and Ktuned rear adjustable control arms.

This is my DD. I'm not looking the change the ASpec shocks and struts and they are comfortable while still being sporty enough to use on track.

I'm looking to see what others recommend to change in the steering system to get the best grip and response out of the car. I already know the front camber is a bit weak. But whats the best route to correct that without changing to coilovers?

Thinking possibly bushings? Sways? Adjustable tie rods?

I've seen talk of baffled oil pans, is this necessary?

I'm coming from a MINI Cooper that was heavily modified and an awesome track performer. So this will be a completely different animal for me.

thanks for any direction / help

·
Fat Free
559 Posts
you can get camber bolts for some more camber... the typical practice is to get a pair, one for each side. if you get 2 bolts for each side you can get some more camber out of it. you'll have to take it somewhere that the techs are used to working on modified cars for alignment, your average oem spec alignment monkey won't know what to do with camber bolts. downside with camber bolts is that they're known to slip... this isn't an RSX specific thing, just a universal camber bolt thing

SuperPro makes front lower control arm bushings that add caster, so that can be useful

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, haven't posted much here at all but I thought I'd give this a try. Searching for the information I'm looking for has proven difficult given the vast amounts of pages.

I have a 2006 RSX Type-S ASpec. It currently has ASpec wheels with Re71R's, Hondata reflash, Injen CAI, ASpec shocks/struts, and Ktuned rear adjustable control arms.

This is my DD. I'm not looking the change the ASpec shocks and struts and they are comfortable while still being sporty enough to use on track.

I'm looking to see what others recommend to change in the steering system to get the best grip and response out of the car. I already know the front camber is a bit weak. But whats the best route to correct that without changing to coilovers?

Thinking possibly bushings? Sways? Adjustable tie rods?

I've seen talk of baffled oil pans, is this necessary?

I'm coming from a MINI Cooper that was heavily modified and an awesome track performer. So this will be a completely different animal for me.

thanks for any direction / help
Hey, I've had my RSX for a really long time and started tracking it regularly about 2-3 years ago now. These are my experiences:

A thicker rear sway bar is always going to help our cars rotate in the corners. The Progress adjustable rear bar is popular, I have it and love it. I would rate this mod very highly.

Getting an aggressive alignment is also going to be a huge help on track. Right now I'm running -3 in the front and -2.5 in the back (recommended by my race shop) but I've read many people going for a 2:1 split front/back and I used to run that myself.

One mod I don't see talked about is replacing the rubber steering rack slider with a delrin one (I got mine from SHG Motorworks). It prevents the steering rack from twisting which helps a ton with feel and bump steer. Personally I would rate this mod very high as well. You can do it yourself, with the rack still on the car.

Poly bushings will help and in my experience feel great on the street. You might as well put a caster correction bushing in the front if you're doing this. Energy suspension makes a popular kit.

I needed the adjustable tie rods when I put my car on coilovers. I'm not sure whether you'll need them if you're just adding camber to the a-spec coils. Generally you start to need more of the 'correction' stuff as you lower the car, which you won't be doing.

Check out this video - everything they say there applies to the RSX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1MuqCfPXQ

Regarding the oil pan baffle, I went ahead and did it since I track my car regularly on sticky tires. I got the clockwise motion baffle and can vouch that it's an extremely nice, though expensive bit of equipment. From what I recall the biggest problem is high G left handers, which is where I got the only two check engine lights I've ever had on my RSX. I don't know for sure if it was due to oil starvation but I didn't mind putting in the baffle for peace of mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I've had my RSX for a really long time and started tracking it regularly about 2-3 years ago now. These are my experiences:

A thicker rear sway bar is always going to help our cars rotate in the corners. The Progress adjustable rear bar is popular, I have it and love it. I would rate this mod very highly.

Getting an aggressive alignment is also going to be a huge help on track. Right now I'm running -3 in the front and -2.5 in the back (recommended by my race shop) but I've read many people going for a 2:1 split front/back and I used to run that myself.

One mod I don't see talked about is replacing the rubber steering rack slider with a delrin one (I got mine from SHG Motorworks). It prevents the steering rack from twisting which helps a ton with feel and bump steer. Personally I would rate this mod very high as well. You can do it yourself, with the rack still on the car.

Poly bushings will help and in my experience feel great on the street. You might as well put a caster correction bushing in the front if you're doing this. Energy suspension makes a popular kit.

I needed the adjustable tie rods when I put my car on coilovers. I'm not sure whether you'll need them if you're just adding camber to the a-spec coils. Generally you start to need more of the 'correction' stuff as you lower the car, which you won't be doing.

Check out this video - everything they say there applies to the RSX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1MuqCfPXQ

Regarding the oil pan baffle, I went ahead and did it since I track my car regularly on sticky tires. I got the clockwise motion baffle and can vouch that it's an extremely nice, though expensive bit of equipment. From what I recall the biggest problem is high G left handers, which is where I got the only two check engine lights I've ever had on my RSX. I don't know for sure if it was due to oil starvation but I didn't mind putting in the baffle for peace of mind.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your insight! Exactly what I was looking for. I heard about the p/s slider, but wasn't sure if the DC5 needed it or not. I was aware it was an issue with EP3's.

I think I'll still do adjustable tie rods for the extra camber since I'm maxed out currently. And good to hear about the sway bar, I had a huge one on my MINI and it improved the rotation considerably.

Also I forgot to mention I purchased Type R Brembo conversion with aluminum front lower control arms, axles, and rear brakes. So I'll be putting in bushings before install, probably a good time to do the caster correction as well.

Any particular vendors you recommend while I do my searching?

Thanks again for your input and help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the Brembo conversion came with the front knuckles/bearing/hub. Came as all one unit.

·
I like Golf
3,629 Posts
Thicker sway bars will make a big difference, you want to dial in more front negative camber.
Aim for -3 (you'll probably get -2 on such a high sitting suspension) you can achieve this by using 2 SPC camber bolts per side (one on the top hole and one on the bottom hole)
if you want sport suspension without going full Coilover; i'd say try the Mugen Sport Suspension out.
will be a tad stiffer than the A spec

Front lower control arm bushings would be a good one to do

the magic rule for RSX is whatever front camber you have in the front, you want half of that in the rear
that's where i normally start when i set up an RSX for spirited driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts