Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd was starting to get notchy and 3rd was popping out so I decided to do a trans fluid change. Decided to put in ACDelco 10-4014 synchromesh fluid, as it was highly suggested by DC5.R Parts. Put it in and now half the time it really does not want to shift into any gear. Like I have to really slam the shifter into the gear to get it in. Was wondering if anybody else has had that issue after a fluid change, maybe I should just drive it for a couple days and try to work the fluid into the gears? Or maybe I should drain it again and put in Honda green label MTF? Any info would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Make sure you put the correct amount of fluid in and shift easy with it until it works the fluid into the gears. Turn the car on let it idle and shift through the gears while sitting still until the car fully warmed up and continue to shift through the gears while sitting still. Do not force it in

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
You should be able to see the tranny fluid and it should almost be leaking out from the top bolt when full. Also make sure you put everything back on correctly

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You should be able to see the tranny fluid and it should almost be leaking out from the top bolt when full. Also make sure you put everything back on correctly
Appriciate the reply. I'm fairly certain I filled it up completely. Made sure the car was level on jack stands and filled until the fluid was dripping out of the fill bolt. Replaced the fill bolt crush washer and torqued to spec. Was hoping it would just take a few days to work the fluid into the gears as you said. Is that normal after a trans fluid change? Gears are just extremely notchy right now and worse based on rpm and or speed. As you can imagine it's very worrying considering I expected it to be better, not much worse.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Maybe for a little while it works its way back onto the gears. I would just let it idle while shifting through all the gears especially while the car is warmed up cause thats when the fluid will be at its thinnest

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I think it has gotten a bit better. gear 1-4 are typically no problem, but the moment I got into 5th, or god forbid 6th, It just does not want to go in. I have to push the shifter twice as hard to get it in, and sometimes it will grind a bit. then, after i get it into 5th or 6th, taking it out feels very notchy, and then when I try to go back into any of the lower gears it has the same issue, just does not want to go in. I end up having to force it into 1st because im at a stoplight. after I shift through a couple lower gears it goes back to normal until I have to go into 5th again. I have rowed through the gears at least a 100 times a piece, particularly 5th and 6th, at idle with the engine warmed up all the way. Hoping it continues to get better over the next couple of days or ill end up putting Honda MTF in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes I typically warm up the car before I drive it at all and it is happening after the car is completely warmed up
Hmm okay. Well the k series transmission can be sensitive the fluid. I have used Honda mtf and its good but in the cold winters it’s notchy until the car is warmed up. It’s not bad though. I currently have amsoil synthetic synchromesh mtf and it’s seemed to work better than Honda mtf. This is some good stuff so I would encourage you to give it a try before possibly opening up your transmission.Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been debating if I should do a trans fluid change or not..I've had the same fluid in the car since 02..
I've heard it could be problematic..Should I do a trans fluid change or not... I do have the Honda fluids sitting in my closet

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been debating if I should do a trans fluid change or not..I've had the same fluid in the car since 02..
I've heard it could be problematic..Should I do a trans fluid change or not... I do have the Honda fluids sitting in my closet
I haven't seen much in terms of people having problems and this situation has been a surprise to me. I've got the fluid suggested a few posts above coming in tomorrow, and I'll be putting it in this weekend. Hopefully it solves my issue and I just chose a trans fluid that my trans doesn't like. I'll post updates after I do the change.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
02, as in you've had the same fluid for 18 years? If so, you must have a bulletproof trans...
Fluid is supposed to be changed at 120k or 6 years, and then every 90k or 5 years after that.

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Something is seriously wrong in the transmission. Changed the fluid with the Amisol MTF. Broke it in and test drived it seemed to be getting better. Later continued to drive it and over time it got worse. Doesn't want to take any gear without force and I can hear a wizzing clutch sound at idle in first with the clutch depressed, but the biting point on the clutch feels fine, and Im having no issues with stalling. It seems fine when i first get in and gets worse throughout the drive. I don't think this is the fluid not working, I have no idea what is going on. I think there is something broken or damaged and it was either caused by changing the fluid, or merely by coincidence that something broke shortly after changing the fluid.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
With the car on lightly place your foot on the clutch pedal. If you feel alot of vibration you could of bent your clutch fork

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Also Check your clutch master cylinder and fluid. But when was the clutch last replaced? Did you do your throw out bearing when you replaced the clutch? Will if go into all the gears with the car off fine?

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also Check your clutch master cylinder and fluid. But when was the clutch last replaced? Did you do your throw out bearing when you replaced the clutch? Will if go into all the gears with the car off fine?
I bought the car about 8 months ago and it had already had a rebuilt transmission, 4th and reverse grind already but it had the slave cylinder replaced shortly before I bought it. I was thinking/hoping it was the master cylinder or a shift fork because of the way it was acting. Didn't really seem like it was internal problems it seems like a something external that is broken and slowly breaking more. That is something I had noticed is that with the car off all the gears felt great, turn the car on. And they're all fucked. Also noticed there is a click any time i go into or out of any gear. I don't know if that's normal or not but something I noticed while messing around with it at idle.

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you referring to under the center console? I actually did check down there briefly but didn't see anything wrong in particular, though admittedly I don't really know what to look for. I could post some pictures if that would help. I appreciate all the help you're trying to provide.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Yea send some pic and look up a video on how to check the shift cables. Make sure nothing is binding

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked for some videos or articles on how to diagnose a bad shifter cable but honestly still very confused on what to look for. everything looks a little worn but still in working condition to my untrained eye. Here are some photos I took, maybe you will see something I don't. Also noticed that it doesn't like 5th even with the car off, after I shift about for a minute it will go in but initially nope.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts