Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
If you did I would just drain its and use the honda mtf and see if that helps. But it should be 2 quarts coming out and 2 going back in

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I am certain I did everything correctly both times. Do you really think changing the fluid a third time with Honda MTF would fix it? I think something is broken and I'm already $85 into fluid at this point

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Take a look at you clutch master cylinder have someone in the car pressing the clutch while you watch also have them run through the gears and see if you can see or hear anything binding or rubbing.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
Also just park the car somewhere level and pull the fill bolt and just make sure you have enough in there

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: It's a blown clutch. I must have blown the clutch while testing out the trans fluid so she'll end up getting a full rebuild. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update: It's a blown clutch.
I just did my clutch. Seems to me like it's probably just your throwout bearing, but you might as well replace everything in there while you have the transmission off. My throwout bearing had been twittering pretty bad, and it was getting hard to shift gears. If you want to check it, start up your car, roll the window down, and listen. Push the clutch in and listen for any changes. If you hear a chirp or chatter that goes away when you push in the clutch, it's probably just the bearing.

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That wouldn't surprise me. Makes a clutch wizzing sound when I push in the clutch, and put it in gear. Regardless 4th and reverse grind guaranteed so I'll just have them overhaul the entire thing since it's so labor intensive to have the trans taken off in the first place.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type S
43 Posts
You said the trans was rebuilt. How long ago was that? also I wonder how bad the clutch is cause when I had to do mine on my 03 Subaru wrx it was going into gear just fine but would slip alot especially at high rpms. So it might just be your throw out but you might as well replace everything. But if your budget doesn't allow that just make sure your flywheel and pressure plate are good and that you have enough meat on your friction disc

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You said the trans was rebuilt. How long ago was that? also I wonder how bad the clutch is cause when I had to do mine on my 03 Subaru wrx it was going into gear just fine but would slip alot especially at high rpms. So it might just be your throw out but you might as well replace everything. But if your budget doesn't allow that just make sure your flywheel and pressure plate are good and that you have enough meat on your friction disc
Can't truely say that the trans was rebuilt but I can tell you that I'm the third owner, and there's a sticker from a transmission shop near the right strut brace. It had to have been done by the first owner because the sticker is to a shop in California but the second owner is local and I don't live near California. I imagine it has had at least 1 clutch job considering it's got 165k on it. Money is a bit of a factor but not to where I'd have it taken off just to have the clutch replaced. I'll just drive on it for a month or so until I have the full amount saved up and the time to have it done over completely

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok so I adjusted the clutch following this video
. It seemed like it was all better, shifted fairly smooth and reverse didn't even grind, took it for a short drive immediately, by the time the engine warmed got it into 5th and 6th, which were still very notchy, and then it went right back to the way it was, very hard to get into every gear but 3rd, and making that horrendous noise, checked the clutch, and everything was as I had adjusted it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok so I adjusted the clutch following this video
. It seemed like it was all better, shifted fairly smooth and reverse didn't even grind, took it for a short drive immediately, by the time the engine warmed got it into 5th and 6th, which were still very notchy, and then it went right back to the way it was, very hard to get into every gear but 3rd, and making that horrendous noise, checked the clutch, and everything was as I had adjusted it.
Sorry, I see now that the adjustment is just for the pedal height. Sorry, I had you go down the wrong path.

It sounds like your gears might be grinding because the Clutch master or slave cylinders are not moving the clutch enough to release the pressure.

Let's go step by step
1) Is the clutch fluid low? If so, HOW LOW??
2) I'll get to the next step after you're done with step 1 :rolleyes:
3)
4)

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok so I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and its at the max line, maybe a bit higher, also the clutch fluid is almost clear. Not sure if that matters but i expected it to be darker. I have not touched the clutch fluid since I got the car and the slave cylinder was replaced shortly before I bought the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok so I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and its at the max line, maybe a bit higher, also the clutch fluid is almost clear. Not sure if that matters but i expected it to be darker. I have not touched the clutch fluid since I got the car and the slave cylinder was replaced shortly before I bought the car.
New(ish) slave cylinder and fluid!! OK

Step 2) Clutch Master cylinder
Test it for fluid flow and air in the system. You want to see if the Master is pumping enough fluid to release the clutch and make sure there is no air in the system
. You might have to remove the battery tray and intake or maybe you can Get under the car and hook a clear hose up to the slave bleed fitting.

a) Have someone step on the clutch.
b) Open and close the fitting and collect the fluid. Watch for bubbles in the hose.
c) Release the clutch
d) Repeat 5 times. You should get a good squirt each time. Maybe 1/2 oz total. The reservoir is probably 4 oz, (just guessing. I don't know) so you should see the level drop substantially

·
Registered
05' RSX Type S
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New(ish) slave cylinder and fluid!! OK

Step 2) Clutch Master cylinder
Test it for fluid flow and air in the system. You want to see if the Master is pumping enough fluid to release the clutch and make sure there is no air in the system
. You might have to remove the battery tray and intake or maybe you can Get under the car and hook a clear hose up to the slave bleed fitting.
View attachment 564847
a) Have someone step on the clutch.
b) Open and close the fitting and collect the fluid. Watch for bubbles in the hose.
c) Release the clutch
d) Repeat 5 times. You should get a good squirt each time. Maybe 1/2 oz total. The reservoir is probably 4 oz, (just guessing. I don't know) so you should see the level drop substantially
I appriciate all your help but I don't think this is the solution. I'm actually thinking it's internal because the issue is in 5th and 6th gear. At the beginning when it wasn't so bad the lower gears were fine but 5th and 6th were just didn't take. As the issue has continuously gotten worse, the 5th and 6th gears seem to be affecting the lower gears in some capacity. After staying in lower gears for a while everything shifts fairly smoothly but as soon as I go into 5th or 6th the problem immediately comes back and is there until I've rowed through the lower gears for a while. Don't want to bleed the clutch fluid, and then find out that it didn't solve anything, only to have to purchase more from Acura. I'll end up taking it to a transmission shop and having it rebuilt, it already needs a rebuild due to 4th and reverse grind. Once I have more information I'll post an update on what the cause is/was.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts