Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
If you can simply just add a 6th gear onto the end, then sure, but I guess I wouldn't go with a 6th gear bigger than what's been done in another tranny. Reason being is that the countershaft may not clear the casing, I've heard. I'm really a noob on this but just trying to help.

But yeah I don't think I'd get a 4.0FD unless you want super low cruising rpms. I mean, the extra 6th gear is already gonna help a ton. If you go from a shorter FD to a taller one, usually people experience a slower sensation, whether real or not idk. With a K20 for sure, but with a K24, you probably won't know the difference, lol. It will sound slower, but the revs will deceive you, but the pressure pushing you back in the seat will not. I guess ask someone in the all motor chat to chime in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So if I am reading this chart correclty, k20z1 and k20z3 have the same gear but the k20z3 has a tsx 6th gear and a LSD?

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
YES. Exactly. I have it. It is quite tall, definitely more of an overdrive. You cannot really use it below 55mph unless you don't plan on accelerating. LSD is great fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well that's awesome, I have to rebuild my transmission now I know I can get the SI gearset and swap it all over.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
I have an 02 with the same year's TSX 6th gear. my RPM's are around 2800-3Krpms at 80mph.

There was a gear/rpm calculator floating around that pertains to our cars.. I'll have to dig it up and see... theoretical top speed of it was 219mph at 8600 rpm's:)

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,183 Posts
RSX RPM Calculator <attached>

With 05 Type S stock 4.765 FD and TSX 6th, 70mph is 3004rpm and 80 is 3433rpm

It does lower it for sure, but man does it make a big drop. It's like having an overdrive, or gears 1 thru 5 and then 7. It takes away the readiness of 6th gear to pull/pass without downshifting, especially if you don't have any mods.

Someone made this handy do-hicky you can use to simulate RPMs. I'm not sure what tire size I used to make my calcs on my own, but from my experience of using 245/40R17's, this program matches precisely. If you change the 6th gear ratio while you have 6th gear selected, you have to chose another gear first and click 6th again to make it work right.
View attachment RSX.zip
Basically the answer is 70 is ~3000, 75 is ~3250, and 80 is ~3500
Reference: stock 6th gear is ~3500, 75 is ~3700, and 80 is ~3900

·
Registered
224 Posts
My car is stock and 6th gear sucks I hate it. It has no power to pass/overtake so I always downshift. I do a lot of highway driving since my job is 70miles one way. I swapped to a 14' civic gears and I like those way better, it has the TSX 6th with the 4.7 final.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What I mean is 6th gear was sluggish on the stock transmission. I always had to downshift. I went with tallers gears 2-6 because I was going boost which is better and has better mpg since 95% of my driving is highway. 6th gear is for cruising, I rather cruise at 3000rpms then 4000rpms.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts