Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've been having problems with my transmission on my 2005 Acura RSX Type-S. Gears have been grinding and I've lost a few gears including reverse. I've brought the car to the mechanic and he identified the problem as a transmission failure.

So when he replaced the tranny, he installed a 5 speed tranny, not a 6 speed. The installation of the 5 speed was done without consulting me. When I confronted him with the issue, he said that 6 speed trannys are difficult to find, and 5 speed trannys are stronger and less likely to fail again. I'm not too sure how I feel about this situation.

What should I do in this situation? And also, what is the general consensus on a 5 speed vs a 6 speed? Will having a 5 speed installed affect the car's performance and value?

Thanks!

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
In my mind; it's just math. You have to stay in each gear a little longer, right? Having less gears makes it a little more difficult to stay in the power band?

But the Type S, 6-speed has never won any awards for being durable. So maybe the 5 *would* be more reliable; given the comparison.

Resale value may be a real concern. But if you get the 5 for a good deal; you've already gotten your money.

If you're a VTEC-happy driver; this may change your shifting points. But you also very well may be happy with the 5-speed.

However... if the service contract said to replace the tranny with a 6-speed; I'd negotiate some money off of the bill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts