Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the dealer to bitch and complain about the infamous 2nd and 3rd gear grind since I only have 64,000. Of course the first thing the guys says is change the transmission fluid and since I was already there and didn't feel like doing it myself I got it done there.

Fast forward, I ask the service manager and tech it they saw anything unusual from the fluid coming out like metal pieces. He said no and I asked them if the bolt was magnetic and the service manager tells me that even if it was you wouldn't see anything because the synchros and gears are brass.

I thought they were carbon coated. Also, I've seen pictures on this site of guys using a magnetic bolt and having chunks of metal on the bolt. Brass isn't magnetic (if it is then its not really brass or its just coating the surface)

Why the bullshit man?:dontknow: !!!

anyway, I am planning on getting a magnetic plug...any particular suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that. Supposedly, Honda puts a magnet in the tranny and people think that the pug is useless, but you and others prove that the magnetic plug is helpful. I guess the magnet honda is putting in isn't enough....

·
Registered
755 Posts
So I went to the dealer to bitch and complain about the infamous 2nd and 3rd gear grind since I only have 64,000. Of course the first thing the guys says is change the transmission fluid and since I was already there and didn't feel like doing it myself I got it done there.

Fast forward, I ask the service manager and tech it they saw anything unusual from the fluid coming out like metal pieces. He said no and I asked them if the bolt was magnetic and the service manager tells me that even if it was you wouldn't see anything because the synchros and gears are brass.

I thought they were carbon coated. Also, I've seen pictures on this site of guys using a magnetic bolt and having chunks of metal on the bolt. Brass isn't magnetic (if it is then its not really brass or its just coating the surface)

Why the bullshit man?:dontknow: !!!

anyway, I am planning on getting a magnetic plug...any particular suggestions?

As previously stated there is already a magnet in the transmission for that purpose.

The synchros are carbon sleeved, not carbon coated. So pretty much the synchro has carbon deposited on the inside where it sits on the mainshaft, this is to act as a brake inbetween the synchro and mainshaft to help in slowing it down when changing gears.

The magnet in transmission is not visible unless you open the case up. I doubt there was any bullshit. Unless there was a lot of metal chunks (in which case your transmission would probably not work) you would not notice when draining the fluid into a pit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts