Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Transmission Noise... Differential/Final Drive?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fade2Black 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I have a 05 type s, 9x,xxx, oem flywheel and clutch just replaced my driver axle. So I've been having this clunking noise coming from my driver side and its driving me nuts. Trying to pinpoint what the problem is so I can figure out what I need to buy. When the car is jacked up in neutral and you try to spin the driver side wheel you'll hear a clunk noise every rotation or so but wheels don't lock up or freeze they will still spin, also tried putting it into gear and letting the clutch out while it was jacked up and running and it made the same noise. If I drive the car the clunking gets louder with speed but goes away if I put it in neutral. Really wanna say its the final drive gear but I don't know for sure. Please excuse my lack of transmission knowledge lol. Note made the same clunking noise before I replaced the axle thinking I needed to replace the axle. Heard of similar stories of people ending up having to replace differential/ countershaft but couldn't figure out an exact answer. Thanks again for the help guys. I'm stumped

EDIT - So after some extensive Google researching and reclicking over and over again I found one similar story to mine that seemed to fit most if not all of the symptoms which leads me to believe its the same problem, hopefully lol. Ironically it is on the same platform (a kseries) but on a 8th gen civic. Here is his story : "A few days ago, I noticed a tapping sound coming from the drivetrain of my 2006 Si Coupe, which I thought could be a CV joint starting to go bad. However, two days later, that sound went from a "tap" to a definite "clunk" so I limped it home to investigate further. The sound occurs whether in gear (regardless of gear) or in neutral, and is independent of loading (swerving side-to-side) or turning. With the front-end jacked up and rotating the wheels by hand, the "clunk" happens every second rotation of the wheel. Listening and feeling underneath, it's definitely coming from the area of the differential where the axles enter it. I could be wrong, but this has all the symptoms of broken teeth in the differential. Does anyone else have any thoughts? I drained the MTF to look for any metal pieces, but none came out. Thanks in advance for thoughts and replies. Once I find out what it is, I will update the post." But of course my luck is that he never ended up updating the post so now I'm stumped haha

See less See more
#3 ·
see if you hear the noise when the clutch pedal is pressed in and when you're in nuetral and the clutch engaged (it will cause the internals of the trans to rotate). this will help you pin point if its inside the trans or if its an external rotating piece

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.