Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 06 type s 2 years ago, a month later 3rd started grinding. I changed the trans fluid and it didn't help... I decided my synchros are probably shot. Since I have been rev matching and double clutching to get into 3rd gear fine, but the other day my clutch went out. I decided now is the time to get the synchros done too so I took it to a transmission shop and they gave me a quote for $1600 Stage 1 clutch, resurfaced flywheel, and full trans overhaul parts and labor included. I jumped on it. Well they called me today and said that the mainshaft is destroyed and it ruined my case so it needs a whole new transmission and it's going to be $3600! I'm calling bullsh** I drove the car to their shop fine. I'm not paying them to do it, but I have to go tow it tomorrow. Long story short I need to either rebuild my transmission myself ( a task I think I am capable of doing ) or find a new trans. Any recommendations? What transmissions are direct swaps? If I can find a good price on a type r imported transmission is it a direct swap? Thanks. I have researched but I am working on a very limited time frame here so any advice would be appreciated guys. Also if I do the rebuild myself I want to build it to hold more power so I can turbo it so suggestions on parts and options for that would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most direct trans for an 06 Type S is the 06-11 Civic Si unit. It is the same except 6th gear cruising speed will be lowered and it comes with an LSD. 05-06 Base transmissions will also work but you get slower gearing and no 6th gear.

·
Bitter Old Hybrid Member
93 Posts
Only problem with the 06-11 Z3 trans suggestion is the Z1 shift mechanism/selector isn't a complete swap over to the Z3 trans. Z1 shift mech doesnt line up exact and needs some modification to fit 100%.
Tho, you could swap the Z1 outer casing over to the Z3 trans and that'll fix that problem. You can do this if you decide to buy a Z3 trans, but if your case isn't uberly destroyed (as the mechanics have claimed).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies guys! Sorry for the late response, but days after my RSX took a shit my backup car (1986 Toyota MR2) was started on fire by a leaky grand prix that parked next to me at work :( so I had to go with the fastest solution and that was to buy another car to get me through the winter. I bought a 2002 VW Gti and for now my RSX sits in the garage. I am debating whether to buy a oem rebuilt transmission from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/RSX-K-Series-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-OEM-Rebuilt-K20Z1-05-06-/131353565185?hash=item1e95485801:g:TrUAAOSw0HVWBTvg&vxp=mtr and putting it in myself and selling the car immediately after. Or keeping the car and going all out with a rebuilt transmission built to hold boost because if I keep the car I am going to turbo it for sure, but that is looking like a very expensive build and I haven't decided if it's something I am willing to do. If any of you have experience with Geardriven let me know. They seem to be very reputable for our trannys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts