Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Trying to get a smog on turbo/flashed 02 RSX type S

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Clever97 
#1 ·
So I took my car to LA to get smoged and the place couldn't complete the smog due to the ecu being hondata flashed. So I bought a stock 02-04 type s 6speed ecu and tried to plug but it didnt start. After a little research I found that I needed the stock injectors. I have ordered them and they are on the way but with further research, I found that in order to have a reflash done you need to send in your ecu, vehicle key and immobilizer. So I guess my question is do I need to get a stock immobilizer too? I purchased the vehicle last year and the tags were good till dec and I thought I had a guy that could pass it but I guess not. It's a stock motor with a turbonetics turbo, turbonetics wastegate, spearco intercooler, hks blow off valve, hks turbo timer, upgraded injectors (440cc), ktuned returnless fuel rail system and it's 3" straight piped. So my plan was to swap the ecu and just turn the boost all the way down (cause I have the boost knob mounted inside under the steering colum) and not over rev it when i drive it to the smog shop. If needed i was thinking of swapping the wastegate spring for a 1lb.

Any help and instruction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
So if I matched it to the stock one I would have to match it back to the chipped one. Not sure how much it would be but I was thinking that I should have all the parts needed that I swap when getting smog done and then swap back. So the turbo absolutely has to come off? So I would also need to get the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe? What if I get kpro would that make things easier at all?

#11 ·
Because of the smog test visual inspection. You will fail, just based on that. None of that equipment is state certified.

Ask around for a smog station that will certify you for a price. Ask Body shops, repair shops. They are only $200 some. Cheaper and faster and easier than any legal alternative

#5 ·
Unless this turbo kit has a CARB EO number, it absolutely needs to come off, and yes you would need a stock header and cat. The turbo would have to come off strictly for the fact that it’s not legal. It’s a hefty emissions fine. Pretty sure state law also requires that you have at least 1 muffler.

As for Kpro, you should get it anyways. More power to be had. Are you sure you don’t have it already? Never heard of a reflash for a turbo

#6 ·
I'm not 100% but I'll send a picture of the ecu the only difference I see on the flashed ecu is there's some pin connectors that were soldered onto the board. As for the turbo the smog place is a pay to pass. So basically if I had a can that I know cant pass they will pass it for a hefty fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.