Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i’ve had my 2002 base rsx for a bit now and i’m starting to try and learn about mods and things to make her a bit nicer. i was just wondering, is there anyway to make the rsx a little louder but not too loud to where i’m getting dirty looks from people lol

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
I think Them Witches misread your post, those exhausts he listed are obnoxiously loud. Head over to youtube and start watching videos. Most cannister style exhausts will be loud, square/suitcase style exhausts will have a more tame sound. The Yonaka exhaust is fairly quiet until you lay into the throttle and it's cheap. That may be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Them Witches misread your post, those exhausts he listed are obnoxiously loud. Head over to youtube and start watching videos. Most cannister style exhausts will be loud, square/suitcase style exhausts will have a more tame sound. The Yonaka exhaust is fairly quiet until you lay into the throttle and it's cheap. That may be what you're looking for.
ahh gotcha. i don’t mind something that’s loud once i step on it. just don’t want it to be all loud when i’m just cruisin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess i never really realized how much exhausts actually are. they have the catback on their yonaka website for 350

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
i guess i never really realized how much exhausts actually are. they have the catback on their yonaka website for 350
Most of the time, you are paying for the name just like you would for most consumer products. In this case though, cost typically does make a difference in quality. That being said, I’ve never seen negative comments towards the Yonaka except that it’s not loud enough lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the time, you are paying for the name just like you would for most consumer products. In this case though, cost typically does make a difference in quality. That being said, I’ve never seen negative comments towards the Yonaka except that it’s not loud enough lol.
gotcha alright. so the catback is what i should get?

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
2,036 Posts
I can vouch for Yonaka. I have it on my daily driver Civic only because the factory exhaust rusted and fell off.

Honestly, $350 is a pretty good price for a decent quality catback. As you saw when you searched, the big name brands are going to be $500-$1000 for a system.

Reactions: ErikRSX02

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you want cheap, get a good quality muffler and take your car to the exhaust shop to get it welded onto your factory exhaust. What was said above is false, you certainly get what you pay for. Cheap ebay/amazon/aliexpress exhausts sound terrible compared to good quality options. The packing usually goes out and then they sound worse relatively quick. A good quality exhaust will usually last, sound better, and look nicer. Yonaka rides that fine line between cheap and good quality. If Yonaka is still too much a good quality 2.5 inch vibrant muffler will get you a little more sound without being too loud. An exhaust shop should be able to weld it on for you for $150 or below.

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
2,036 Posts
If you want cheap, get a good quality muffler and take your car to the exhaust shop to get it welded onto your factory exhaust. What was said above is false, you certainly get what you pay for. Cheap ebay/amazon/aliexpress exhausts sound terrible compared to good quality options. The packing usually goes out and then they sound worse relatively quick. A good quality exhaust will usually last, sound better, and look nicer. Yonaka rides that fine line between cheap and good quality. If Yonaka is still too much a good quality 2.5 inch vibrant muffler will get you a little more sound without being too loud. An exhaust shop should be able to weld it on for you for $150 or below.
What was the "false" thing that was said?

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
What was the "false" thing that was said?
I feel like he just misread what I said about paying for a name, because I clearly stated afterwards that this is not one of those moments.

Thinking about it now, I'm kind of wrong. Look at Spoon. Are the welds and seams perfect? Yes. Is it light weight? Yes. Is it worth $1400? Absolutely not, but it sounds sick and it says "Spoon Sports" on it. The Fujitsubo Powergetter meanwhile is the same diameter, same weight, and also good quality for almost $400 less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Fujitsubo Powergetter meanwhile is the same diameter, same weight, and also good quality for almost $400 less
I can vouch for a Powergetter, I have it on my Type S. I can barely hear it during idle or a normal daily driving rev range, it's just a nice quiet deep rumble- but when you put your foot down it's pretty epic! It's pretty hard to find but if you can get your hands on a good used one (I stalked Facebook marketplace for a while looking for steals on parts, scored mine for 400), it's 100% worth it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're just looking for sound, just focus on replacing the rear muffler. Catbacks are nice but aren't worth the money on a base if you're just focusing on sound. Sure you might pick up a horsepower or two at the top end but you're talking $300-800.

Check facebook market place if anyone is selling just the muffler so you can just bolt it on. Worse case scenario you'll need to pay someone to cut and weld another muffler.

If you're going for the cut and weld method, I recommend this. Its a pain because you'll have to weld some brackets to hold it up to the rubber mounting points, but its only $40. The sound was clean and not stupid loud when I had it on my base.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried the " JUST-THE-MUFFLER " route, and wasted $300 for the labor and the muffler. Thankfully. I got half my money back on FB Marketplace when I sold the muffler.

Get yourself a catback.

I got an HKS Hi-Power catback ( $445.00 )

Has a good note and is not obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbeStwITis

Listen to the video with good surround sound speakers.

. . .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried the " JUST-THE-MUFFLER " route, and wasted $300 for the labor and the muffler. Thankfully. I got half my money back on FB Marketplace when I sold the muffler.

Get yourself a catback.

I got an HKS Hi-Power catback ( $445.00 )

Has a good note and is not obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbeStwITis

Listen to the video with good surround sound speakers.

. . .
got a link where i can get it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts