Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a DC5 (RSX) Base model with a K24A2 (K24A3) w/ 5 speed transmission. KPROV4

I bought CL9 or TSX gears, came with the countershaft + final drive 4.7, it didn't come with shift forks or the outer bearings (needle bearing etc) and I want to put them into my 5 speed gearbox.

I know the CL9 TSX gears (1-6), countershaft and 4.7 final drive will fit into the 5 speed case after reading around. Not too worried about the reverse lockout solenoid after researching about that.

Here's a few things that I think I need to do to make it work:
  • The first to second gear synchro is a bit cooked, I believe I need a 1-2 triple cone synchro to fix it up... or an entire kseries rebuilt set
  • Needle bearing as the new gearset is a 4.7, I believe original 5 speed is 4.3.
  • 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 Shift Forks
  • I THINK I need a 6 speed shift selector?

This WILL be my first time taking apart a transmission, but I want to learn how to do it and do it right, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if I need anything else
(Posting this for pure confirmation before I start taking things apart.)

Registered
Considering its your first time, I hope this isn't your daily because chances are pretty high you're going to break something or lose a small piece. I doubt anyone on these forums are going to guide you on how to take apart a transmission because its obviously complicated. If you haven't found a DIY guide on this forum, then good luck. Youtube is going to be your best bet if you really want to undertake this. Plus, I hope you have all of the necessary tools, lube, cleaning area and work space to do all of this.

I recall someone else trying to put 6 speeds into a 5-speed case and they found out its too much hassle because the outer case is different and needed modification. I've looked into doing this with my 5-speed and ran into that wall.

You want my advice, first learn how to disassemble, rebuild, and reassemble your current 5-speed with a standard rebuild kit made for your transmission before you go venture out Frankensteining a a working 5-speed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh should mention since this post, I've now got two cases. Both 5 speed, ones in the car which isn't a daily and one is a higher mileage unit from a mates car who went for the Type R gearbox on their base. He just gave it to me for free to have a crack at it

I've watched videos on how people rebuild their gearboxes before, my mindset going with this was that it just didn't make much sense to me to rebuild an already tired gearbox when I could potentially swap in a 6 speed along with a fresh rebuild kit and upgrade.

I've read on some forum posts, with K series cases, atleast with the RSX/DC5 and TSX/Accord Euro CL9 cases, they were the same internally. It was just the mounting points for the engine mounts were different. Which I thought was OK? Since I'm only swapping the internals.

To be honest, I will probably go ahead and strip the higher mileage box and understand it better, I will watch videos alongside the disassembly for sure to make sure everything goes smoothly, I've prebought tools that I've seen people use in the videos use, worse comes to worst... I'll just pause and go buy a tool.

Since this project will be a longterm thing, not entirely fussed if it takes a while and doesn't end up working.
If it does end up working, I'll write up a post on how I did it, if there isn't one thoroughly explaining how.

Registered
Oh should mention since this post, I've now got two cases. Both 5 speed, ones in the car which isn't a daily and one is a higher mileage unit from a mates car who went for the Type R gearbox on their base. He just gave it to me for free to have a crack at it

I've watched videos on how people rebuild their gearboxes before, my mindset going with this was that it just didn't make much sense to me to rebuild an already tired gearbox when I could potentially swap in a 6 speed along with a fresh rebuild kit and upgrade.

I've read on some forum posts, with K series cases, atleast with the RSX/DC5 and TSX/Accord Euro CL9 cases, they were the same internally. It was just the mounting points for the engine mounts were different. Which I thought was OK? Since I'm only swapping the internals.

To be honest, I will probably go ahead and strip the higher mileage box and understand it better, I will watch videos alongside the disassembly for sure to make sure everything goes smoothly, I've prebought tools that I've seen people use in the videos use, worse comes to worst... I'll just pause and go buy a tool.

Since this project will be a longterm thing, not entirely fussed if it takes a while and doesn't end up working.
If it does end up working, I'll write up a post on how I did it, if there isn't one thoroughly explaining how.
Bruh, the amount of pieces and steps that go into opening up and reassembling a transmission is nuts. Making it a long term goal is a good way to forget where something went or if you did a certain step. I think its great that you're trying to learn, but if you're going to do it the right way, just rebuild the high mileage transmission and see how long that lasts. Learn the basics before you decide to hit the ground running. I would imagine if you have all the tools, YouTube, and the rebuild kit, you can do this over a weekend. Wouldn't you rather have a working rebuilt transmission versus 2 transmissions taken apart with parts scattered in your garage?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This project has a dedicated bench for it at the moment, recording the steps I take during the disassembly and annotating it as I go.
I did this with my k24 overhaul, took it all apart, recorded it and put the notes onto a server, then referred back to it when I was ready to plonk it back into the chassis.
Saying it was a long term project was purely cause I'd be waiting for parts lol initially, but I wouldn't start the disassembly without all the necessary parts.

So far I've got a transmission that already works on my car, a high mileage transmission put aside and just the gearset from a CL9.
Yes, I could rebuild the higher mileage transmission, but I can't think of what for? I already have a transmission on my car w/ original 5 speed with low mileage. I could rebuild it and chuck in an LSD (assuming the gears themselves aren't cooked).

But hear me out, I'm more than happy to take the L if this doesn't end up working, I'll just end up putting the 5 speed back together OR consider rebuilding it.
I'll be sure organize myself properly separating the 5 speed parts from the new 6 speed parts.

Honestly I really do appreciate the caution you've given me and I genuinely understand where you're coming from mate, I feel like I'm asking permission lol.
Again, I'll have a crack at it, if I fail you'd be the first I tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts