Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
421 - 440 of 777 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
k sounds good. lookin real forward to using it!

later

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
Update: RazDyno 1.0.

I have completed the page with download and documentation:
http://chewies.net/~raz/tuning/razdyno/

This is a SPREADSHEET file that is setup to link to a datalog csv export. All you do is update the link to point to a new csv file and it processes and graphs the data and allows you to prune bad data and adjust the processing and smoothing parameters on the graph screen. This addresses my worries about trusting all data and needing the ability to prune data from the runs.

The documentation is VERY long and filled with 101 screen shots but the process of using it is actually very simple -- I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. Once you get through the documentation and try it a few times it is a hell of a lot faster than the old system. Let me know what you think. I've ran a few sets of datalogs through it and the results were quite good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
wow! raz, i already tuned all my cam degrees for my low cam, i think im gonna go do my high cam tuning now and then the power runs for each degree. im so glad i can tune it now with ur new program.... ill let u kno how ti goes!

thanks so much

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
05nbp said:
wow! raz, i already tuned all my cam degrees for my low cam, i think im gonna go do my high cam tuning now and then the power runs for each degree. im so glad i can tune it now with ur new program.... ill let u kno how ti goes!

thanks so much
Just a word of advice -- below 1500 or so, don't dick with the cam angles. You can if you want, but I found that leaving them alone makes the car drive more like stock, even though other cam angles may make more power.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's the link for the latest KDyno.. small tweaks here and there and new look. I haven't had the time to do major rework :(

http://www.na-soft.com/kdyno/kdyno_2006_feb_28.zip

Anyways, I used this SW myself to tune the jrsc'd beast and results seem very good indeed :)

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
theta said:
Here's the link for the latest KDyno.. small tweaks here and there and new look. I haven't had the time to do major rework :(

Anyways, I used this SW myself to tune the jrsc'd beast and results seem very good indeed :)
Does your motor have the prb or prc (itr) k20a2 cams? What cam advance did you end up using up top? I found that my vtec point was about perfect at 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
13,797 Posts

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
05nbp said:
ok so in order for me to successfully tune my cam angles by ur method, then i need to tune a/f for each cam angle from 0-8000 rpms?

(i.e. tune a/f for all of my 12 cals before i run the logs?)

for example, the high speed cam will never be at 50 degrees when ur at 7000 rpms, so the a/f for the 50 degree high cam is really only tuned for the rpms that its being used at meaning that if i run a cal that is strictly using the high cam at 50 throughout the whole rpm range then the a/f ratio will only be good where the 50degree high speed cam would normally be used at. correct?

so if im thinking correctly, then i have to tune each one of my 12 cal's that i created (for each cam degree) AND THEN do 3 or 4 runs each and run them through ur program?if thats the case, then thats gonna take forever!
i thought that i can just tune my a/f on my normal cal, then do the rest of the process.

im really confused but hopefully i made sense.

if you can, pls run me through a basic rundown of what i need to do to obtain valid data to run through your program.

thanks raz
Raz's rundown assumes fuel is already tuned.

To answer your question, YES you need to have each cam angle COMPLETELY tuned for fuel prior to trying to tune cam angles. It doesn't matter how you do it. You can do it Raz's way, which continually builds on top of old calibrations. Or do it my way, which Raz touched on. I separate all my cals and copy and paste. Its not very difficult at all and I'm very quick at it.

Remember:

1. Tune Fuel per cam angle.
2. Tune Ign per cam angle (most people are skipping this step when street tuning)
3. Tune for cam angle.
4. Tune vtec crossover.

:thumbsup:

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
theta said:

Yeah, I still can't get your's to work. I used it one time a long while ago. But now when you select a datalog, it never populates.

:confused:

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
Raz that spreadsheet is out of control. So far I like what I see, but it looks like there's more to learn with it. More reading. Poop.

:crap:

·
Registered
866 Posts
wow this is intense.....

but before i have to do it all over again, how do you guys recommend i tune ignition if i dont even get any knock to begin with? you really seem to emphasize a lot on igntion and i dont want to miss tuning it before i get to the cam angles

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
05nbp said:
wow this is intense.....

but before i have to do it all over again, how do you guys recommend i tune ignition if i dont even get any knock to begin with? you really seem to emphasize a lot on igntion and i dont want to miss tuning it before i get to the cam angles
You shouldn't tune ignition except to retard it from knock. The calibrations are damn close for ignition, and unless you're running something like water injection or some other method to slow the initial combustion process, no power will be had by advancing it in the general case. That is unless your calibration was tuned ignition wise to avoid detonation to begin with. That is not the case for the N/A k20 calibrations as I understand it.

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
MentalMidget said:
Raz's rundown assumes fuel is already tuned.
Um, no it doesn't! -- it says tune a/f and ignition. On the road, you generally tune for a/f and remove knock for ignition.

Oh, and another note -- don't tune different cam angles with 'edit all tables' checked -- for those who are new with kmanager.

Wayne

·
Registered
866 Posts
Razathorn said:
Um, no it doesn't! -- it says tune a/f and ignition. On the road, you generally tune for a/f and remove knock for ignition.

Oh, and another note -- don't tune different cam angles with 'edit all tables' checked -- for those who are new with kmanager.

Wayne

i leave the "edit all tables" unchecked when im tuning a/f for my general base map, but when i tune a/f for each cam angle, since the car maintains a variable cam degree of + or - 2 degrees (usually less that that) than what is commanded (i.e. what you set the cams to be at ) then i usually use the "edit all tables" since the other cam degrees wont even be used. i should be ok if i do that right?

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
05nbp said:
i leave the "edit all tables" unchecked when im tuning a/f for my general base map, but when i tune a/f for each cam angle, since the car maintains a variable cam degree of + or - 2 degrees (usually less that that) than what is commanded (i.e. what you set the cams to be at ) then i usually use the "edit all tables" since the other cam degrees wont even be used. i should be ok if i do that right?
Yes, but I'd get in the habbit of being on the right cam. In other words, don't rely on "editing all tables"......it will bite you.:laughing:

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
Razathorn said:

Wayne
Indeed it does.:thumbsup: Step #4 has it.

My fault for referring to the wrong post. In an earlier post you were discussing cam tuning, which would assume fuel is already set.

Just trying to keep 05nbp up to speed.:driving:

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
Whats the best way to tune CAM when there are three different angles weaving in and out of each other?

Should I take the next logical angle and work my way up or should I just jump to the highest angle?

Like if LOW is in 20 and then there's about 3000 RPMs of 40/50/30 all mixed up, which one should I take. There doesn't seem to be much difference between them, so should I just put them in order until one of the angles comes out on top (like if 40 ends up being dominant, should it go 30/35/40)?

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
640k said:
Whats the best way to tune CAM when there are three different angles weaving in and out of each other?

Should I take the next logical angle and work my way up or should I just jump to the highest angle?

Like if LOW is in 20 and then there's about 3000 RPMs of 40/50/30 all mixed up, which one should I take. There doesn't seem to be much difference between them, so should I just put them in order until one of the angles comes out on top (like if 40 ends up being dominant, should it go 30/35/40)?
If they are weaving in and out it's probably a good sign that you didn't get good single direction averages and are suffering from road noise. Send me your datalogs and calibration and I'll see what I come up with.

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
Holy Shit!!!

I just went through learning the new program. Looks damn fine!!!

If I wasn't planning on dyno tuning, I'd probably try it out. But its too intense for someone who is going to dyno tune.

I got Theta's working again. Seems to not like the work firewall, but got it up and running on the laptop.:thumbsup:

For the litterally 30 seconds it takes to figure out the high and the low, its close enuff! :laughing:

·
BIG POPPA®
4,248 Posts
theta said:

Hey theta, do you or does anyone else know why I can't get your program to work on my work computer? I have it working fine on my laptop.

It loads and opens fine. But when you go to select a datalog and hit OK, the file doesn't get populated in the selection.

Really frustrating....:jigglemad

421 - 440 of 777 Posts