Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Turbo Boost Creep and Spiking bad?

i mean how can you help but do it? I read what they were, but dont you need to stop on the accel. when you race, and stay in high rpms?

And what r the highest rpm's that your allowed to stay in(or what you guys stay in to be safe)? Can you go all the way to 9k i think and still the engine be ok?

I read about Turbo Boost Creep and Spiking from this place.http://www.allpar.com/mopar/boost-creep.html

thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Boost spike is not good when you are tuned on a specific boost level, especially if you are taking that tuning to the limit..By getting more boost, you would need to compensate for that in your tuning..

The best way to avoid this as much as possible is to use a good wastegate and a good boost controller..Many of the newer boost controllers have warning meters and limiters you can use to your advantage..I am not a fan of the Deltagate wastegate, which I've seen many people use..

·
Registered
419 Posts
basically when you spike and creep your car is set for a certain amount of boost which means its already at the perfect a/f mixture..when you spike your putting more compressed air and less fuel which causes it to run lean..lean = bad..then you can get into springs, actuators, exhaust flow..blah blah blah..but thats the basic part

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i should not mess with the boost levels beyond the limit, is this correct, then there should be no problems right?

And then what is turbo boost creep?
same thing?

·
Registered
419 Posts
as long as you boost only as much as your car can handle you should be fine..then weather and other factors come into play..didnt you read what boost creep was?? do you not get it?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Most of my boost creep occurs in 1st and 2nd... it happens least when rpms are not so quickly reved.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
unlimited77 said:
Is Turbo Boost Creep and Spiking bad?

i mean how can you help but do it? I read what they were, but dont you need to stop on the accel. when you race, and stay in high rpms?

And what r the highest rpm's that your allowed to stay in(or what you guys stay in to be safe)? Can you go all the way to 9k i think and still the engine be ok?

I read about Turbo Boost Creep and Spiking from this place.http://www.allpar.com/mopar/boost-creep.html

thanks
Boost spike or creep is caused by the inability of the wastegate to control exhaust flow that regulates turbine speed, or the solenoid's ability to control the wastegate.

It is not a good thing when you are running on a thin margin of safety.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
ryan34o said:
basically when you spike and creep your car is set for a certain amount of boost which means its already at the perfect a/f mixture..when you spike your putting more compressed air and less fuel which causes it to run lean..lean = bad..then you can get into springs, actuators, exhaust flow..blah blah blah..but thats the basic part
Well, not exactly.

The whole dynamic of tuning is that it is not static. Just about all tuning electronics will handle multiple pressure levels @ multiple RPM points, AF and ignition timing. Rarely would anyone just tune up to the boost level they run at. I run just 13 psi, but I'm tuned up to 18 psi because my ECU can support tuning parameters up to that boost level and plus it acts as a defensive mechanism. What I did was that I used the high boost table as my "limp home" mode that basically retards timing and richens the AF ratio.

Of course, this does not mean your engine will like it, but it is a line of defense between a running engine and dead engine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Brillo said:
Most of my boost creep occurs in 1st and 2nd... it happens least when rpms are not so quickly reved.
you should be at full throttle when you boost or atleast be watching your gauges when not

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bigbuyer2477 said:
Well, not exactly.

The whole dynamic of tuning is that it is not static. Just about all tuning electronics will handle multiple pressure levels @ multiple RPM points, AF and ignition timing. Rarely would anyone just tune up to the boost level they run at. I run just 13 psi, but I'm tuned up to 18 psi because my ECU can support tuning parameters up to that boost level and plus it acts as a defensive mechanism. What I did was that I used the high boost table as my "limp home" mode that basically retards timing and richens the AF ratio.

Of course, this does not mean your engine will like it, but it is a line of defense between a running engine and dead engine.
well i didnt mean equal fuel and equal air..i dont feel like explaining myself because im sure you already know..i should have been more clear i guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts