Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always sounds to me like you guys have to CONSTANTLY worry about stuff. i ave heard that you have to constanly listen to your motor and watch all you guages. whats the fun in that? no more radio or just cruising around town? Am i all wrong (which i hope i am becasue i really want cn 1) or is thier some truth to this? i would want to practically set it and for get it. i would still check my oil and stuff but i dont want to have to cross my fingers that my engine wont blow every time i go and get milk. any info would be apprecitated!

·
PIMPIN AINT EZ
155 Posts
Seems to me that a lot of people even on this forum do have problems with Turbos. I would love to have one. But seems to high maintenance to me as well. To a point where I would rather not bother with it. Im hoping the supercharger will be less hassle than a turbo and at the same time, keep my shiznitz street legal for when I get pulled over and harassed. :)

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
The thing to keep in mind is that Turbos=more maintenance...
If you don't take care of it, it'll come back to bite you in the ass...I think that if you pay attention to your gauges, you'll be fine with listening to radio..

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
I don't have my turbo installed yet but it's all in how in tune you are with your car...aftermarket turbos aren't meant for the average driver who just wants to go fast so he can go racing around on the freeway.....

you need to be the type of person who is in tune with their car and notices every little thing even if they aren't conscious of it....it's not a matter of watching your guages constantly and driving around with the radio off so you can hear every little thing going on with your car...you just have to be aware...you get to a point where you could be criss crossing through cars at 150, with the radio blaring, drinking your soda and talking to your friend but still be fully aware of how much you are boosting, what the a/f ratio guage says and be completely conscious of how your engine is reacting (I don't recommend trying this)....

This type of conscious or unconscious awareness of what is going is achieved in a direct relationship with how much you know about how your car works...if you don't know how the suspension works together, then when something is making a weird noise or vibration, in the case that you even notice it, you would have no clue on where to start when thinking about what is wrong...whereas if you have even a general idea of how everything works you might be able to tell that the bolt fell out of the bottom of your koni insert and the strut is flopping around (make sure you tighten those things really good...don't trust a friend)...

anyways...I guess my advice to anyone who's worried about getting a turbo is don't get one right now...learn as much as you can about how every little thing works...and learn to be in tune with everything your car is doing...and then and only then should you do any major performance modifications...and when I say learn as much as you can it doesn't mean you have to know exactly how every single little thing functions...but at least have a general understanding of how for example all the parts in the transmission work together to get the power from the engine to the wheels...instead of just knowing that you have a transmission...and it grinds...

eh that's all for now

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
merlin2111 said:
It always sounds to me like you guys have to CONSTANTLY worry about stuff. i ave heard that you have to constanly listen to your motor and watch all you guages. whats the fun in that? no more radio or just cruising around town? Am i all wrong (which i hope i am becasue i really want cn 1) or is thier some truth to this? i would want to practically set it and for get it. i would still check my oil and stuff but i dont want to have to cross my fingers that my engine wont blow every time i go and get milk. any info would be apprecitated!
Well, put it this way. If you're pushing an extra 100hp to the crank, then theres a higher chance of experiencing problems which you probably might not have experienced N/A. Its a give and take situation. Yes, heavily modifying the car calls for some more attention, but for that extra 100hp it seems to be worth it. I've only had a few minor problems, but nothing serious. I'm suprised I haven't blown my motor either; considering that I have 54k miles and boosting at 10psi w/T60-1. As long as you do some daily checkups, run at 7psi boost, and change / check your oil regularly, and keep a close eye on your gauges then you won't have any major problems. BTW, I still cruise with the radio blasting, but sometimes it's more addicting to hear that, PHSSSSSSSSST.

·
Rage With the Machines
1,280 Posts
what about "boost creep"...heard you can solve with an external wastegate...
and didnt cybernation just release something that tunes the car on it's own or something?

·
Registered
462 Posts
RYU583 said:
what about "boost creep"...heard you can solve with an external wastegate...
and didnt cybernation just release something that tunes the car on it's own or something?
I think you are referring to Guardian E.I. It has not been released as of yet. still doing some testing with it. This will not solve boost creep however. You will have to wait until ECS-DREAM is released for that one. But Bip Bip's main issue is the weather. We use the Delta on our shop cars and have pushes as high as 40PSI with no problems. But we do live in SoFla where the weather is always warm. Cold weather will cause the spring to become stiff and increase the force necessary to load it.

·
Rage With the Machines
1,280 Posts
so when these things are released ....hopefully the turbo will be more of a plug and play app.?

what else could you expect to happen if you run forced?
sorry if they dumb questions.....im thinking bout the turbo but just scared kus I cant dish out the cash for a new engine in sace something happens but from reading forums...seems like cybernation has it covered from every angle...

·
Rage With the Machines
1,280 Posts
so when these things are released ....hopefully the turbo will be more of a plug and play app.?

what else could you expect to happen if you run forced?
sorry if they are dumb questions.....im thinking about the turbo but just scared because I cant dish out the cash for a new engine in case something happens but from reading the threads...seems like cybernation has it covered from every angle...

·
_
572 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
I think you are referring to Guardian E.I. It has not been released as of yet. still doing some testing with it. This will not solve boost creep however. You will have to wait until ECS-DREAM is released for that one. But Bip Bip's main issue is the weather. We use the Delta on our shop cars and have pushes as high as 40PSI with no problems. But we do live in SoFla where the weather is always warm. Cold weather will cause the spring to become stiff and increase the force necessary to load it.
But guardian will add the fuel necessary when the boost spikes right>

·
Registered
661 Posts
chicows18 said:
Seems to me that a lot of people even on this forum do have problems with Turbos. I would love to have one. But seems to high maintenance to me as well. To a point where I would rather not bother with it. Im hoping the supercharger will be less hassle than a turbo and at the same time, keep my shiznitz street legal for when I get pulled over and harassed. :)
dam chicows you're car looks tite, what type of rims are those.

·
Registered
144 Posts
protocol said:
How is yours running by the way?
It's great. Installed a simple HKS MBC and i hit 11 psi and no problems. Im still playing with it to set it at 9 psi. After its set properly, I'll dyno it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts