Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I turbo charge my base, in the future, if i convert to a type-s transmission if i will run into problems when it comes to compatibility. I cant buy a type-s and im having trouble finding a shop willing to do the conversion. I know im eventually going to do it so I need to know.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Basic principles will always remain the same, no matter the engine or even the drivetrain configuration. Shorter gears multiply torque and help acceleration (at the cost of top speed in a given gear, and cruising rpm for a given speed), and there's no changing that. If you're into road course racing, at least look into a final drive and limited-slip diff to help get you out of the corners. Turbo sizing will also play a part in deciding powerband. It's a very delicate balance, choosing the right modifications that not only get the car to perform how you want it to but also compliment each other to reach those ends in the right way. More or shorter gears can work for or against you, it just depends on what you're trying to do, what style of racing you're building for, etc. Drag racers tend to prefer less gears, while two- to four-speed gearboxes will be worse than useless around a road course, where you'll want to be able to jump up all around the powerband depending on the situation.

If you know you want the six-speed 'box, it'll function just fine if that's what you mean by compatibility. The only thing that will change is acceleration because of the different gear ratios.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.