Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I’m currently looking at turboing my base RSX. There isn’t a lot of solid information on the base compared to the Type S.

Will a turbo kit for a Type S for a base RSX?

How much power has a base engine been able to make reliably on stock internals?

I’m also looking to find a selection of turbo kits from reputable sellers. If you know anyone, please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Yes, with a type s intake manifold and type s exhaust
2. Search
3. See #2
Hi

Thanks for the response. A lot of the times when I search I get unclear answers like, “more than stock” or “not worth it”.

So I was just wondering if members have come across regular-ish numbers they are hitting on a turbod stock base engine.

Also a lot of the turbo kits people were suggesting are from threads from 2005ish and companies discontinued kits or are not in business all together. I will try to search harder though. Thanks!

·
Boosted K20A3
65 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but it never hurts to add some relevant details or perhaps throw out some inspiration.

Here's the CXRacing turbo kit on my formerly base automatic RSX. I'm currently still using the stock intake manifold and throttle body, but I had to buy a different silicone elbow to accomplish this. Spending <$10 is better than thinking you need a whole new IM. Then again, everyone is so deathly afraid of running boost on these IMs because they're plastic. The only down side I've experienced so far is Hondata's refusal to support base model tunes, which are required to run the dual runners properly (PND tunes don't get tip in or overrun settings, and PRB tunes don't allow dual runners).

As far as exhaust is concerned, no you don't need a type S exhaust - you need whatever exhaust can be fitted up with your turbo down pipe. The turbo kit I purchased required welding anyways, so I welded a high flow cat and a reducer down to my GReddy Evo2 exhaust that I've been running for over a decade.

Hope this puts some missing information out there for others.

For reference, my build included all forged internals. I am not making any claims for the capability of a stock K20A3, but I did see others on this site that had some great success until they got greedy with the boost (according to them).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts