Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a used turbo rsx type s and have came to the realization that they're not easy to find anymore. Do you think it'd be easier/better to find a nice low mile type-s and build it myself, or keep looking for a used one that's already built. Looking to spend less than 20k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's your power goal? I just installed a cheap $880 EMUSA turbo kit on my 06 type-s with 177k miles. Makes 296hp, and it's quick lol. I went for a cheap eBay style build, and man it's fun. Cheap 1000cc injectors, cheap stage 4 clutch, walboro 255. Just do all the work yourself and it's not too much at all. My whole turbo build plus a tune was like $2500-$3000. Bro if I had a budget like you of just "less than 20k" you could build a 5 or 6 hundred horse power machine easily. If you don't want super cheap, Full Race makes some banger kits, or check out Humble Performance. They got vids of it making 600 on a stock long block. Pretty insane. Even if you don't want to do the work, a shop near me says they'd make a full turbo kit from the grand up installed for around 7-8k. You got some options.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your power goal? I just installed a cheap $880 EMUSA turbo kit on my 06 type-s with 177k miles. Makes 296hp, and it's quick lol. I went for a cheap eBay style build, and man it's fun. Cheap 1000cc injectors, cheap stage 4 clutch, walboro 255. Just do all the work yourself and it's not too much at all. My whole turbo build plus a tune was like $2500-$3000. Bro if I had a budget like you of just "less than 20k" you could build a 5 or 6 hundred horse power machine easily. If you don't want super cheap, Full Race makes some banger kits, or check out Humble Performance. They got vids of it making 600 on a stock long block. Pretty insane. Even if you don't want to do the work, a shop near me says they'd make a full turbo kit from the grand up installed for around 7-8k. You got some options.
Thanks man. 296whp isn't bad at all. I'd like to make as much power as I can, but also be able to drive it to work every now and then. Do you daily yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks man. 296whp isn't bad at all. I'd like to make as much power as I can, but also be able to drive it to work every now and then. Do you daily yours?
Yeah I daily it. Has a good tune on it, and I have no issues. I make sure bolts are tight every now and then but it's all good. Just install it right the first time. I rushed some stuff and had to fix it over time.

·
:)
15,544 Posts
I was looking for a used turbo rsx type s and have came to the realization that they're not easy to find anymore. Do you think it'd be easier/better to find a nice low mile type-s and build it myself, or keep looking for a used one that's already built. Looking to spend less than 20k.
Have you looked at my turbo rsx for sale? lol

·
:)
15,544 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
20K should be more than enough to buy and build your turbo set up. Quite honestly for that money you can take it to a performance shop and have them do it for you the right way. Since you plan to daily this car, reliability should be your number one concern. If this is your first turbo set up, just anticipate for shit to go south because that's just expected when you do things for the first time.

I would suggest getting the car first, make sure all the maintenance is in order, drive it for a while to confirm everything is good, then decided whether or not you want to do the turbo yourself or pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trust me you dont want to buy someone's used turbo build just do it yourself cause it could be used and abused hard if you were going to go that route do a compression test on all cylinders first before purchasing and have a mechanic check over everything cause you never know if shortcuts were taken or it it was built properly.

·
#Inkpot
5,193 Posts
+1 for buying a decent shape type S and building a turbo kit yourself.

You should be able to easily make ~350 on a used log manifold. Could probably get the whole thing done for less than 15k if you're frugal about it.

Assuming ~6k for the car, ~1k ecu, ~1k pump/injectors, ~3.5k for the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trust me you dont want to buy someone's used turbo build just do it yourself cause it could be used and abused hard if you were going to go that route roblox auto clicker do a compression test on all cylinders first before purchasing and have a mechanic check over everything cause you never know if shortcuts were taken or it it was built properly.
Make sure bolts are tight every now and then but it's all good. Just install it right the first time. I rushed some stuff and had to fix it over time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Make sure bolts are tight every now and then but it's all good. Just install it right the first time. I rushed some stuff and had to fix it over time.
But the thing about it is when you do yourself you know what you need to check or fix cause it was your own two hands that did it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's your power goal? I just installed a cheap $880 EMUSA turbo kit on my 06 type-s with 177k miles. Makes 296hp, and it's quick lol. I went for a cheap eBay style build, and man it's fun. Cheap 1000cc injectors, cheap stage 4 clutch, walboro 255. Just do all the work yourself and it's not too much at all. My whole turbo build plus a tune was like $2500-$3000. Bro if I had a budget like you of just "less than 20k" you could build a 5 or 6 hundred horse power machine easily. If you don't want super cheap, Full Race omegle chat makes some banger kits, or check out Humble Performance. They got vids of it making 600 on a stock long block. Pretty insane. Even if you don't want to do the work, a shop near me says they'd make a full turbo kit from the grand up installed for around 7-8k. You got some options.
I make sure bolts are tight every now and then but it's all good. Just install it right the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted an estimate on how much it would cost to boost a RSX TypeS 2002 130,000k - engine and 180,000k on transmission. I am the original owner. At 49000k my original engine was replaced by Acura with a brand new one due to failure. - I went to a local shop and he wanted to charge me 12k parts and labor. I want to run a cheaper setup but 12k damn!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts