Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, whats up? i've posted a thread on turbo before called turbo=death. or something similar on those lines. well most responded with it will shorten the life span of the engine because the engine wasnt made for turbo.

theory: what happens if you take the k series engine, and then just upgrade it, so it would be able to handle it? like forged pistons, port and polish, fuel injectors, etc. cause with those parts, you're making the engine stronger itself, and if you add the turbo, i dont think it would shorten the life of it. it'll be just like stock. but stronger. is this dumb? or any comments? thanks!!!

-van-

·
i-VTEC, Do you?
973 Posts
Read all the topics about preparing for turbo / boost, it's all explained there.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any links? i've tried seraching, but couldnt actually find the answer i was looking for? thanks!:spin:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
nintecninja said:
hey guys, whats up? i've posted a thread on turbo before called turbo=death. or something similar on those lines. well most responded with it will shorten the life span of the engine because the engine wasnt made for turbo.

theory: what happens if you take the k series engine, and then just upgrade it, so it would be able to handle it? like forged pistons, port and polish, fuel injectors, etc. cause with those parts, you're making the engine stronger itself, and if you add the turbo, i dont think it would shorten the life of it. it'll be just like stock. but stronger. is this dumb? or any comments? thanks!!!

-van-
You can turbocharge a Yugo as long as you re-engineer the car to operate under those conditions.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
even if you upgrade the internals, engine life will still be shortened? shouldnt it stay 'normal' because you've built the engine for turbo? :dontknow: :confused:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
nintecninja said:
even if you upgrade the internals, engine life will still be shortened? shouldnt it stay 'normal' because you've built the engine for turbo? :dontknow: :confused:
If you build the engine for the manner it will be used, then you should expect it to operate "normally"

·
Registered
252 Posts
nintecninja said:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. Yes, the car will run efficiently if it was tuned correctly for a turbocharger. But I was focusing on the engine life that you asked in your post. So let me explain myself. When people want to increase boost excessively, they upgrade to stronger internals correct? Yes, they replace their stock internals for stronger ones to withstand greater power. But what a lot of people don't take into consideration is for how long will those upgraded internals hold up. Of course, they're gonna hold up the power for quite some time, but obviously the constant boost will ultimately wear down the motor much quicker. Even if those parts were designed to withstand and be compatible with turbo, a lot of them weren't designed to last as long as the original stock setup.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inline said:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. Yes, the car will run efficiently if it was tuned correctly for a turbocharger. But I was focusing on the engine life that you asked in your post. So let me explain myself. When people want to increase boost excessively, they upgrade to stronger internals correct? Yes, they replace their stock internals for stronger ones to withstand greater power. But what a lot of people don't take into consideration is for how long will those upgraded internals hold up. Of course, they're gonna hold up the power for quite some time, but obviously the constant boost will ultimately wear down the motor much quicker. Even if those parts were designed to withstand and be compatible with turbo, a lot of them weren't designed to last as long as the original stock setup.
i c i c . but say i build the engine just like a turbo engine. (i.e. sti or something; and of course the engine lay out is totally different but just first car that popped in my head) how come the engine life of the STi isnt shorten? or is it? but shouldnt the life be normal if the internals are moddified to with stand the boost? of course you're not going to run it hard everyday. maybe once a month or two. :dontknow:

·
zoom zoom
2,027 Posts
see, its hard to say, bc no one has really actually gone and tested this theory. the problem is how long it would take. also, to get consistant and accurate data, you would need to test this on multiple engines. if this was a science experiment with relatively inexpensive parts, and only lasts over a relatively short time, then experimentation would be justifiable. but we're talking about cars here. to test the engine life would just take too long and too expensive. not many people would go through such trouble. so all we can say is that boosting probably shortens engine life. strengthening the internals would likely increase engine life, but who knows for sure?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It also matters how much your scootin around town. Shit im sure a 1000hp supra can be reliable aslong as you are going WOT from every stoplight.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Inline said:
But what if you engineer the parts to operate under those conditions? Would that be its "normal" operating condition?

It's obvious that factory cast pistons are not the strongest, nor is the factory top ring, connecting rods, exhaust valves, lifter springs.........so on and so on. When you upgrade them to higher quality parts, you will be able to withstand more extreme operating conditions then before. See, what you are saying that is those parts "weren't designed to last as long as the original setup", and that would be a design fault and not a fact that parts designed for extreme conditions can't also last very long.

The best way to look at it is this way:

You take the OE setup and run it through the "extreme" condition.

You then take the upgraded setup and run it through the "extreme" condition.

Of ourse, the upgraded setup is going to last longer.

The fact that they both fail is not the issue. the fact that the upgraded parts lasts longer than the OE parts would sugguest that there is value in re-engineering when opperating outside of the "normal" operating conditions.

If an OE turbocharged engine can go 150K without an overhaul under normal driving condition, then the upgraded engine parts can probably go, say 200K without an overhaul.

Let's say now you turn up the boost and make 30% more power. And let's just for the hell of it say that the amount of engine wear is proportional to the amount of engine output increase. So now you OE engine might last only 100K before needing an overhaul, but the upgraded engine can last up to 140K miles before needing an overhaul.

So if we increase the engine power by 90%, then the OE engine will last just roughly 15K miles and the upgraded engine might last 20K miles.

But let's just say that you increase the amount of power so much that the engine will experience instant failure as you as you reach full power with the OE setup, but you might last a good 20 seconds with the upgraded setup, that might be the difference between between coasting down the 1/4 mile strip or winning at full speed.

I mean, what you are saying is right, they both don't last forever, but their tolerance to stress is what set them apart. So if you want to increase engine power but maintain its longevity, then upgrading the essential parts are definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much boost would stage 1 and stage 2 get on our car?

i dunno....i really think it wouldnt really 'shorten' the life if the parts are swaped out from the stock ones and upgraded to hold the power (psi). cause i am guessing, the sti, evo, etc. will probley last as long as our car. well...not sure about the evo cause its a mitsu, but you get the idea. and i also think it just depends on how hard you drive the car and how much you do it. even without the turbo, if we ran our cars at 7800rpms everytime we shift, the car is going to get messed up.

also, would we still have our i-Vtec if we add turbo? so it would be like....i-vtec turbo? :dontknow:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Everyone here has made good points. I base my posts on my own experiences with turbo cars since a handful of my friends have or had turbochargers. Comparing those FI cars to my other friends who are N/A tuners, I notice that the N/A cars are still running consistenly while the F/I car's is less reliable. This of course in terms of daily street use. Like mentioned, it all depends on the maintenance and driving. When my friend(I-GSR) first turbocharged his car, he said he would drive moderately, but seriously, do you think you'd be driving normally knowing that there's a turbo under your hood waiting to unleash great power? It's a temptation that's difficult to supress.

It's really hard to get my point across cause I can't put together the right wording. There's a lot of things I wanna say, but just don't know how to write it down. Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea if i had that kinda power under the hood i would use it a lot. well i would feel bad, i feel bad using i-vtec now. haha *shrugs* :dontknow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts