Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a battle that will last for all time. I think depending on the application both are great. For overall performance in a 4 cylinder I would go with a turbo. For overall drivability I would go with a supercharger. In racing I would go with a turbo unless I bracket race and then I would go with a supercharger.

Those are my thoughts on this, what are yours?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
i like the idea of power constantly with the SC, but the Turbos for our cars produce bigger numbers so far...tough choice...btw i love the new idea for this forum.. this will start some heated battles

·
Murderator
13,398 Posts
I am with you on that one.....although with todays boost controllers you can make turbo boost very very consistant. I feel that a turbo car can be just as consistant as a S/C car. While Turbo is easier to extract power from the car a S/C is much much better for every day driving. Even with the size of the T51Z turbo as soon as i hit 2500rpms the car starts to pull a little harder than i want it to sometimes. When you are talking about either Turbo or S/C they are both pointless in stoplight to stoplight battles in the RSX as they completely eleminate all traction in the first 2 gears. Just ask Alpha Zero...a couple days ago we where driving to a friends house and Henry (Alpha) was next to me in his Hondatafied RSX......we messed around from a light and i could not pull him at all because i was lighting the tires up and he has no major problems hooking up. On the freeway or speeds about 40 the car is much nicer......the same goes with a S/C car as there is one that gets work done at my dealership and he explains the same problems......

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drusuf said:
i like the idea of power constantly with the SC, but the Turbos for our cars produce bigger numbers so far...tough choice...btw i love the new idea for this forum.. this will start some heated battles
I am glad that you like the idea. Intelligent battle are supposed to start, at least that is the goal.

·
Murderator
13,398 Posts
in lowend power nothing beats a S/C......thats why Top Fuel Cars Use S/C's....if the course was a mile long then turbo would be the way to go cuz absolutly nothing beats top end turbo power....not displacement not anything!

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Acutally, they use a SC because they cannot use a turbo. If they used a turbo it would spin so fast they would blow out the turbo and the housing and the blades would kill people in the stands. They would use them if they could but there is too much of a saftey factor. I think it would cool to see nitro car use either one because that could bring some cool differences to the sport.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like this new forum idea as well.

Superchargers are nice because the maintenance on them is a lot less, just replace the belt if it snaps. Another benefit of a supercharger is the instant power, there is not turbo lag, however the power on a SC is linear so you get more HP at higher rpm's.

Turbo's are great because they can be upgraded to add tons of boost and HP. With a turbo a get all the power at once ( as soon as it spools or the turbo lag is gone ) making a turbo'ed car more fun to drive.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other thing to think about...

Turbo is free horsepower. You car produces exhaust gas, why not use it for something...

Supercharger is costly horsepower. Since it takes your engine has to spin the belt to create the power...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
K20A2 said:
One other thing to think about...

Turbo is free horsepower. You car produces exhaust gas, why not use it for something...

Supercharger is costly horsepower. Since it takes your engine has to spin the belt to create the power...
I was under the impression that turbo wasn't "free" horsepower because it added a lot of backpressure in the exhaust. It is less of a drain than supercharger, but not free.

·
baby buffett
13,382 Posts
I made this exact thread like 3 months ago, wow, but my vote is N/A, thats why alot of the SCCA race cars don't use turbo. I guess it gives them better times. Plus I like the sound of 9k RPM

·
baby buffett
13,382 Posts
Ignore my post..wrong thread

·
6,734 Posts
Acura RSX TypeSC. Has what is called parasitic drag. Turbo has turbo lag. Both have potential. What if you put both on the same car. Have the ECU spin the SC until right about the time the turbo spools then the SC goes into bypass mode and the turbo takes over. Best of both worlds. SC for low end, turbo for high end.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is an Integra like that and it has never run right. It is really really hard to do. It is better to deal with the problems on one side or another than try and do both.

·
28,748 Posts
Yeah, I think the Integra is the Meguiars Integra. Twincharging (S/C and T/C) is too expensive, its unreliable, and you need A LOT of dyno time to get it to work OK.

From what I think, the superchargers are reliable, easy to install, low-end power, and easy to maintain. Turbo's are a little less reliable, have some lag, but they can be modified a bit more, and of course the BOV:D

·
What are you made of...
22,072 Posts
How about having a twin-turbo? Would that be possible in our cars?

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes and no that is a post all to itself to be honest. You could do it but I don't think that you would want to. if you want more boost run a larger turbo. A 4 cylinder doesn't produce enough exhaust to spin 2 turbo all that well. Much better to go with 1 but you could do 2 for something differen.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts