Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have some questions in regard to turbocharging my 2002 RSX Type-S (K20A2). I was hoping you guys could help me in my search for knowledge as I put my list of parts together. I have spent plenty of time researching online, but want to hear from you guys and any experience you guys have had. Some background knowledge on what I am looking to do. My biggest concern is reliability and want to make sure I have no problems with the car after I do the install while keeping PS/AC because this is my daily driver. I want to make 300-350 whp, so I am staying within those boundaries when deciding on my turbo. So, here are my questions to you guys.

1.) My car currently has 160,000 miles on it and I have been told that the numbers I am hoping to achieve won't add extra wear and tear to my engine as long as the turbo set up was done right and I don't abuse the car. What are your guys opinions on this and how long has your car been turboed for and have there been any extra problems since adding the turbo?

2.) What turbo do you guys recommend for the power goals? I have seen turbos such as the GT2871R and the PT4831B, but have been leaning towards the Garrett Turbo because it is ball bearing instead of journal like the Precision Turbo, but I want to hear from you guys and see if I have been leaving out important options to pick from. Also, any reviews on the two previously stated turbos would be greatly appreciated.

3.) What kit do you guys recommend? I have been told that the Full Race Kit is the way to go in terms of reliability, but a kit can also be pieced together at a cheaper price point. Being cheaper in cost isn't a huge deal to me unless I can get the same reliability out of the pieced together kit that I can get with the Full Race Kit or the PeakBoost kit. I have been told that using some of the CX Racing kit with a different manifold and intercooler would give me good results, but I want to hear about your guys experiences and reviews.

If you guys could post up your set ups and any other reviews and insight for me on this topic that would be greatly appreciated guys. THANKS!

·
Registered
947 Posts
As long as your essentials are legit (turbo, bov, wastegate, intercooler) and with a good tune, you will be very reliable with your power goals. Reliability is all in your tune is you have quality parts.

I am on a pieced together kit with Garrett GT3076r turbo on a revhard log manifold, Tial BOV and wastegate, and threadstone intercooler. I am only on 8 pounds of boost and making 336whp on a very conservative tune on my k24a2. I made two 9 hour trips from KY to NC and back to KY on it with no problems at all!

My friend that I bought the kit off made 421whp on 13psi on k20a2. He put in 10k miles with no problems as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get quality Turbo, Wastegate, BOV, injectors, and stay with the oem fuel pump if you are not aiming higher than 350whp. I have a t67 ho turbo its not fun to make it spool around 5.5k right when vtec kicks in. If you want a quick spool turbo build a TDO5/T517z turbo. I did mine but i have it as a spare just in case i need to slap it in.

I used a TDO5 Cartridge/ Turbine and compressor wheel.
For the oulet I bought a Mamba A/R 62 3in. vband outlet housing.
I recommend this turbo over turbonetics and precision

The rest you can buy from ebay. I bought a revhard style, or logmanifold from ebay and I am at 10psi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts