Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sorry for asking stupid question.
if someone can please tell me, a car with turbo kit can turn off the turbo while driving long distance (freeway) in order to save fuel? or do they just lower the boost to save fuel?
thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll give you a serious answer as these numbskulls obviously won't. When you're cruising on the freeway, your turbo is effectively bypassed (not under boost). Only when you're heavy on the throttle is your turbo active. So when you're on the freeway, your car is running like stock so your gas mileage should, theoretically, be the same as a stock car. Realize, however, that with larger injectors and fuel controllers, you are probably running a bit rich all the time, so your mileage will suffer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
install voice command on your turbo and ecu and when you are entering highway just say "TURBO OFF" then it will turn off. hahahah just fucking with you man.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Arent you constantly making boost? The exhaust gases made by your car are always going to run through the turbo so the blades are constantly spinning and creating boost. Whether this boost can amount to anyhing substansial such as 1psi is what matters, but technically your always boosting

·
The 1st-11 sec Rsx
261 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
Arent you constantly making boost? The exhaust gases made by your car are always going to run through the turbo so the blades are constantly spinning and creating boost. Whether this boost can amount to anyhing substansial such as 1psi is what matters, but technically your always boosting
No. Pressure in the manifold, not vacuum would be considered boost. When cruising the engine is always in vacuum. You will only build up pressure(boost) when the engine is under a load. Yes the turbo is spinning constantly, but the motor is sucking in air faster then the turbo is feeding it. The turbo is just helping it breath.

Tim

·
Not Plugged In
10,045 Posts
you can't turn off your turbo. The turbine is always spinning, even at idle. It may be slow, but exhaust gases are always passing through. On the highway, your turbine is spinning, but your not creating more boost, therefore, your gas mileage will be better then when spooling. By cruising on the highway, I mean between 2700-3200 rpms.. if your in the 4k range, your probably spooling the turbo a little bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.