Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
..Crawling..
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have u guys had a look at the Hondata website and compared the 2? They do not have the same horsepower. A base with CAI and Hondata has the same horsepower as a stock SI. Here u guys can have a look:
Civic Si

Base RSX

And is there anyone that knows if I can put a Type-R IM on my base?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Go_Canes - the extra balance shaft of the Si actually robs it of a few hp, although it makes the engine a bit more smooth. It gains that power back though through its EPS and TB/IM.

No offense to hondata, but their dyno graphs are fishy. For the Si, they claim 152whp with just the reflash? 140whp stock? I haven't seen any Si dyno that high stock or with the reflash. Those on ephatch.com seem to agree, and many say the best part of the reflash is the 7700rpm redline.

As has been covered many many times before, the Si makes slightly more peak hp than the base, at the expense of midrange torque.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't really care what you do with your money, but look at these two dyno graphs from AEM and decide if it's really worth it.

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6105 02-03 Base RSX.pdf

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6108 02-03 Civic SI.pdf

Look at the stock (blue) torque graphs. At 4750rpm, the base RSX has 21 lb-ft. more torque than the Si.

I don't advocate comparing two dynos done on separate days, but I'm guessing AEM uses the same dynanometer for its testing. That said, the Si still looks like it's dyno'ing a bit low, but the results are clear - the base RSX is making noticeably more torque through its midrange than the Si.

It might still be worth it to get the type-R IM/TB (assuming they fit). The choice is your's.

·
..Crawling..
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 16.9hp increase and a 17.7ft-lbs of torque increase on the Si with a V2 installed? compared to a 5hp and6.5ft-lbs increase on the base. According to these dyno charts I would gain 7.1hp but lose7.2ft-lbs of torque.

Now, i've also got a Comptech Race header which increased my high end a lot. By getting the Type-R IM i would incrase that high end even more, and with a Civic Si hondata (redline of 7700) I could rev higher therefor seeing even higher performance. Am i correct?

·
doing stuff
4,547 Posts
beatred said:
A 16.9hp increase and a 17.7ft-lbs of torque increase on the Si with a V2 installed? compared to a 5hp and6.5ft-lbs increase on the base. According to these dyno charts I would gain 7.1hp but lose7.2ft-lbs of torque.

Now, i've also got a Comptech Race header which increased my high end a lot. By getting the Type-R IM i would incrase that high end even more, and with a Civic Si hondata (redline of 7700) I could rev higher therefor seeing even higher performance. Am i correct?
I think you're building a kick ass car man and I think that would work. Call Hondata. When I purchased my flash I called em and asked a bunch of questions about future mods. They were very cool.

·
boosted
199 Posts
beatred said:

Yeah good luck man and let us know how it goes... :thumbsup:

·
..Crawling..
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just emailed Hondata about getting the Civic Si hondata on my base if i got the Type-R IM. I'll see what their response is.

I figured that i'm goin to get Hondata anyways. and with hondata u get the most gains at the high end. so whats the point of midrange torque? Might as well get as much out of the top end as possible.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
corso when you did the swap did you notice the differences between the base vs. type s throttle body?

base is 60mm and type s is 62mm.

What other mechanical differences do they have? The way they're mounted? Are they exact duplicated of each other except for the fact the diameter is different?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I dont know to much about the type-r IM but from the looks it seems to be the same design as the base plastic IM. If it has the same dual runner setup as the base the type-r IM would be a hell of alot better with the hondata gasket compared to the plastic on the base.

·
Registered
251 Posts
360 said:
Go_Canes - the extra balance shaft of the Si actually robs it of a few hp, although it makes the engine a bit more smooth. It gains that power back though through its EPS and TB/IM.

No offense to hondata, but their dyno graphs are fishy. For the Si, they claim 152whp with just the reflash? 140whp stock? I haven't seen any Si dyno that high stock or with the reflash. Those on ephatch.com seem to agree, and many say the best part of the reflash is the 7700rpm redline.

As has been covered many many times before, the Si makes slightly more peak hp than the base, at the expense of midrange torque.
I know about the balance shafts. I simply mentioned them because no one seemed to know that it was a difference between the two engines.

The big difference between the two is after getting a Hondata. The Si engine kills the base engine. I wouldn't waste my money though. If you're looking to spend over $1000 on a TB, IM and Hondata, you're wasting your money. You can get a K20A2 swap for $3000 and sell your base engine/tranny for around $2000. You'll be WAY ahead of the game and still have TONS of room for future upgrades like Hondata, Toda kit, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go_Canes said:
I know about the balance shafts. I simply mentioned them because no one seemed to know that it was a difference between the two engines.

The big difference between the two is after getting a Hondata. The Si engine kills the base engine. I wouldn't waste my money though. If you're looking to spend over $1000 on a TB, IM and Hondata, you're wasting your money. You can get a K20A2 swap for $3000 and sell your base engine/tranny for around $2000. You'll be WAY ahead of the game and still have TONS of room for future upgrades like Hondata, Toda kit, etc.
where can u get the s motor from for that price????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.