Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently upgrading my type S with Type R pistons, Does anyone know if any other upgrades are necessary in order for this upgrade to go smothly. I was told to upgrade my fuel injectors & fuel pump, because of potential problems of running too lean. I was told by another person that the stock rods are not a good idea with the Type R pistons, but I haven't found any differences bettween the Type S and the Type R???
And just too list I am upgrading the Headers and exhaust and I'm not sure about what type of Head Gasket to use. Please Advise
 

·
- - - - - - -
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Well, to meet the basics, all you would need would be to use 93 octane instead of 91. That's it.

Being that the ITR is mechanically the same in all other aspects you are thinking of replacing. I would recogmend rods. Also a fuel pump would be nice because of future N/A mods, you are most definetely going to need it. Besides, I know our cars tend to run on the leaner side after primary bolt-ons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the info..... Do you know where I can pick up a set of type r rods and is there that much of a difference
 

·
You Like My Member
Joined
·
754 Posts
what is the point of installing type-R Pistons?? Does it higher the compression ratio to gain more HP? (of course used in conjunction with higher octane fuel)
 

·
- - - - - - -
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Silverisk, I wouldn't really bother. You aren't going to really need it. If you want you can, I haven't looked, so I don't know where. But if i were to buy rods, would be for Toda's high compression pistons or something extreme in that sense. But I'd do the primary bolt-ons first before this mod in particular. I only say so because it's good to have the basics first.

Mr.Yoon, you have been around for quite a while, you should know better. Of course a higher compression is going to improve HP. I read from another board that the ITR pistons would add around 6-8 hp. Give or take.
 

·
You Like My Member
Joined
·
754 Posts
acutally i haven't been around. I have the same registered date because i wanted to know a little about the rsx back then. I haven't been here in forever.
 

·
Tyler
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
But if i were to buy rods, would be for Toda's high compression pistons or something extreme in that sense.
:iamwiths:

If you're gonna mod your internals and fork out the Benjis like that, you might as well go ALL out. TODA's products for the K series motors are superb. Type R stuff isn't worth the money IMO. I thought about going Type R myself until I researched TODA's products and did a price comparison. Just my 2c.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Replacing the pistons is going to cost you a TON OF DOUGH! For a gain of just a few HP. And your current ECU program is for 11.0:1 not the 11.5:1 that you will have after the piston upgrade. What i suggest you do is if you get new cams put in have them just install the toda head gasket (bumps the compression .4).
 

·
- - - - - - -
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Well if you're gunna think about it that way, if your car isn't a factory ITR, your ECU isnt programed for the 11.5:1 compression anyways. Why do you think people wanted the ITR ECU? Besides, the way I figure, why try to be something so normal and common in Japan? That's my philosophy behind mods, being Japanese and all, understand that it's retarded to make your car a common ITR. Make it better than that and be recognized. Otherwise you are one alike in a crowd of many.
 

·
You Like My Member
Joined
·
754 Posts
Bluewind said:
Well if you're gunna think about it that way, if your car isn't a factory ITR, your ECU isnt programed for the 11.5:1 compression anyways. Why do you think people wanted the ITR ECU? Besides, the way I figure, why try to be something so normal and common in Japan? That's my philosophy behind mods, being Japanese and all, understand that it's retarded to make your car a common ITR. Make it better than that and be recognized. Otherwise you are one alike in a crowd of many.
werd. that's my philosphy as well. I bet if you go to japan right now there is a high demand in clear headlights rather than the blackouts.. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,623 Posts
I dont know why all these people swap in the ITR parts........the only time id open up the engine like that is to put in some forged 9:1 pistons and forged connecting rods.....any idea of what it costs for a shop to do the swap?
 

·
- - - - - - -
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
RsxManJoe, you think that way because you have already given up the idea of N/A. Your plan of running lower compression to boost at a higher degree to gain your HP. Anyhow, look and ask Cybernation. They are the only ones i know who make low compression pistons for our cars. G/L, remember, Honda blocks are like butter when it comes to FI. Remember to run on low boost when not racing! :)
 

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
pints99 said:
Replacing the pistons is going to cost you a TON OF DOUGH! For a gain of just a few HP. And your current ECU program is for 11.0:1 not the 11.5:1 that you will have after the piston upgrade. What i suggest you do is if you get new cams put in have them just install the toda head gasket (bumps the compression .4).

:iamwiths: The gasket will raise to 11:4:1 instead of 11:5:1. It is a whole lot cheaper that way. :)
 

·
Old member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
*No sales in N/A, come on now...*
 

·
ATLP Laboratory!
Joined
·
5,985 Posts
eddie123 said:
:iamwiths: The gasket will raise to 11:4:1 instead of 11:5:1. It is a whole lot cheaper that way. :)

Which Gasket is that

i got the JDM motor w. 11:5:1 Compression I need to lower it for more boost on my Supercharger..

please help me find a good gasket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
MR. YOON said:
acutally i haven't been around. I have the same registered date because i wanted to know a little about the rsx back then. I haven't been here in forever.
holy shit it's that guy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Bubz said:
Which Gasket is that

i got the JDM motor w. 11:5:1 Compression I need to lower it for more boost on my Supercharger..

please help me find a good gasket
I mean a really cheap way would be to just get type S pistons. That would reduce it to 11.0. You could go after market and get liek 9.5's if you want.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top