Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get the features of the motor of the Type S i have a Base model rsx 5 spd and am wondering what i should do and how much it might cost me to convert my base into an animal like the type S also would it just be better i sell the base and get a type S ( dont know if thats possible yet or not but just an idea). Thanks

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You would have to do an engine and tranny swap. That will cost you about $8,000 for the used K20A2 engine (the one in the Type S) and tranny. If you're going to do a full out engine swap then I would suggest getting a K20A or K24 engine, they're similar in price.

Your best bet would be to sell your Base and buy a Type S, really.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
James S said:
You would have to do an engine and tranny swap. That will cost you about $8,000 for the used K20A2 engine (the one in the Type S) and tranny. If you're going to do a full out engine swap then I would suggest getting a K20A or K24 engine, they're similar in price.

Your best bet would be to sell your Base and buy a Type S, really.
Type S K20A2s go for a hell of a lot cheaper than that. You can start out though by increasing the flow of the motor that you have. The Type S intake manifold will fit on the K20A3 (as the Civic Si runs this combination) and the Type S header, downpipe/cat, and catback will all fit the Base, but only if used together.

Skunk2 made a lot of power with a Type S head on a Base block. I would definitely not discourage attempting to improve what is already there.

On a side note, if you are interested in this setup, then I have a Type S intake manifold and header/downpipe/cat.

·
I Heart Kelly Clarkson
232 Posts
When James S was referring to $8,000 for the K20A2 motor and transmission, I think he was referring to the engine + labor/installation.

In terms of Skunk2 making a lot of power with a Type S head on a Base block, where did you read of this? I've heard it being mentioned a couple of times, but I would like to read for myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Icy said:
When James S was referring to $8,000 for the K20A2 motor and transmission, I think he was referring to the engine + labor/installation.

In terms of Skunk2 making a lot of power with a Type S head on a Base block, where did you read of this? I've heard it being mentioned a couple of times, but I would like to read for myself.

Thanks.
Skunk2 and Super Street magazine worked together on a Civic EP3 that used this combo and along with other mods, made over 200 whp.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
ResidueRSX said:
link? :wavey: :dontknow:
Go to Super Street's website and do a search.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
BidDawg, I think there are issues with installing a Type-S or Type-R intake manifold on the base because of the dual intake runners on the base intake manifold which I believe the ECU manages. :dontknow:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
blackandred said:
BidDawg, I think there are issues with installing a Type-S or Type-R intake manifold on the base because of the dual intake runners on the base intake manifold which I believe the ECU manages. :dontknow:
You could always get the Si specific Hondata flashed ECU (for 5-spd.) which would be better anyway.

·
8" member
3,542 Posts
psh. buy an engine on ebay for 3500 shipped, pay for my plane ticket to come install it, my food, and 200 bux labor, you've got a deal. 3500 + 250 + 200 +50= 4000. cant beat that. plus u can sell the base engine and make up for some lost cash.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
alkeyowns said:
hey big dawg how much for that setup and are you positive that it will fit??
Check out the guy in this very forum(Spent198) that has a Type S Toda header and Type S Fujitsubo exhaust. If that fits, then the stock components fit. I also have the Type S front sway bar.

I will sell the header/downpipe/cat for $200 plus shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts