Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yes, I am sure this has been discussed before, but perhaps not my exact questions... I have spent some time searching and pretty much expect the general answer to be “Don’t Do It, Save Your Money.” But here it goes anyway:

I have an 05 Type-S with 190k KMs on it. No mods except for the Injen CIA. I am just looking for an excuse to get under the hood right now (might do the timing tensioner). I also have a rather shitty, raspy, annoying sound coming from SOMEWHERE when I am between 4-5k RPM. I am thinking something in the Exhaust, but I am not sure. So, I am thinking of doing my exhaust, and if doing ONLY the cat-back, I will be going with the Q300. Nothing obnoxious.

However… I am also thinking of going farther and replacing all of it (just because), but I want to KEEP the Cat (or replace it). I want to have a cat because: a) Not looking for huge gains, b) Planning on the Hondata Reflash (Price for an 05 KPro in Canada is insane) c) Don’t want the extra noise/smell, and d) Do not want my daily driver to be environmentally unfriendly.

My question is, would this combo work (Fit together)??: Megan Racing Shorty + Magnaflow DirectFit Cat + Q300 CatBack.

Any other suggestions that would be more worth my time and money?

Would I see any gains at all? And how many people would want to stone me in the streets for doing this..? lol

Thanks All. frequent reader, seldom poster, love this forum.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That combination will work as long as they are all type s specific, but you really are throwing money out the door with the shorty header. Both the Base and Type S already come with a 4-2-1 shorty header from the factory. As for the cat, I wouldn't bother until your factory one is roached because again, you're just throwing money out the window lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the K-tuned header with cat option and the Q300. Bolts right up. Sounds perfect.
I have definitely looked at that one, the noise is not too loud? And are they still making the more expensive 304 stainless model? much difference between the 304 and 409?

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
No loud at all. sometimes you do not hear it and when you do get on it, it's a nice deep tone.

They make both models yes. THey are pretty much the same when it comes to HP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on, thanks, I will think about that one. However, do you run KPro with that Header+Cat?

I have an 05 and live in Canada... which makes it about $2,300 CAD, last time I did the math... Insane. Even the Reflash will drain me of 500-600 with the shipping costs... Fuuuk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Type R header with SARD catalyst and Q300 would be the setup of my choice. Will sound and perform very well.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
My question is, would this combo work (Fit together)??: Megan Racing Shorty + Magnaflow DirectFit Cat + Q300 CatBack.

Any other suggestions that would be more worth my time and money?

Would I see any gains at all? And how many people would want to stone me in the streets for doing this..? lol
You will not get stoned, haha, but yes it won't profit you much midrange gains. Figure out a way to get a long-tube/tri-Y header and a cat. Like remyrounds said K-Tuned offers one. Or if you can find someone that will convert a test pipe for you, go for any header that has a separate test pipe piece just like K-Tuned's

Right on, thanks, I will think about that one. However, do you run KPro with that Header+Cat?

I have an 05 and live in Canada... which makes it about $2,300 CAD, last time I did the math... Insane. Even the Reflash will drain me of 500-600 with the shipping costs... Fuuuk
dude. you have an 05. you can go with Ktuner for much less. They have a reflash too for a header if you don't even want to spend $500. http://ktuner.com/typesrsxreflash/

Type R header with SARD catalyst [...]
I hadn't heard of this. I bought a hi-flow cat to get welded in (which no one will do for me of course). A 2.5" 300-cell from Vibrant. How is this different? dude SARD's website says it costs ~$1000! :eek: why? :rain:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
[/QUOTE] dude SARD's website says it costs ~$1000! :eek: why? :rain:[/QUOTE]

I vaguely recall reading something about the cat having more precious metals for "exhaust purification" as well as half the amount CPSI for better flow. Claimed gains are anywhere from 9-17 depending on the vehicle. Also, JDM points man, that has to be worked into the price somehow lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dude. you have an 05. you can go with Ktuner for much less. They have a reflash too for a header if you don't even want to spend $500. http://ktuner.com/typesrsxreflash/
Has anyone else done the KTuned Reflash? I have contacted a dealer in Vancouver and they told me I need a $450 USD daughterboard for my ECU... an extra $100 for the install and then ANOTHER $600 for a dyno tune...

Do they still offer the Reflash options?... Because it does not seem possible to even navigate to that reflash web page without specifically using that link... they do not list it under products on the site under RSX....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Has anyone else done the KTuned Reflash? I have contacted a dealer in Vancouver and they told me I need a $450 USD daughterboard for my ECU... an extra $100 for the install and then ANOTHER $600 for a dyno tune...

Do they still offer the Reflash options?... Because it does not seem possible to even navigate to that reflash web page without specifically using that link... they do not list it under products on the site under RSX....
The first option you mentioned is for the End User system, which just means you or a tuner can tune it with Ktuner’s program. Shouldn’t cost more than $450 plus shipping though. Comes with several reflashes/tunes to start with. You don’t “need” a dyno tune unless you want one.

If you want the reflash without the self tuning option, that too is available and it’s only $250.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
This isn’t for the header specific reflash, though. You would need to purchase the End User system for that, or find someone offering a header specific reflash. I think turbogixxer has one on their website.
https://www.hamotorsports.com/ktuner-05-06-rsxs-reflash.html
You can use that very same link for the header reflash -- just select REFLASH 2 in the drop down box :thumbsup:. BTW you have to mail in your ECU and they flash it and ship it back. Definitely easiest cheapest turnkey option.

If you're not sure you will stop modding, you can buy the End User, even pay extra for them to provide an ECU if you don't want to ship yours out, install it yourself, and run the basemap for Reflash #2 (should be included). If you buy a new ECU you may have to get it matched at an Acura dealer but I'm not sure (can it be de-immobilized?). Then you could even get an e-tune, learn to tune yourself, or keep modifying, and someday take it in for a tune somewhere/e-tune/yourself. Whatever suits your fancy/pocketbook

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

I will most likely be stopping at the Reflash #1, since I only have a CAI. I am planning on a cat-back eventually, but that should not really change anything significantly.

I started this thread thinking of a header+cat... and going for a Header setup is tempting, but I likely will not go that far, since I can't bring myself to spend the money on the power i really do not need. Just want a little more responsiveness and a lower VTEC engagement...

And if I went with a Header WITH a cat... I would probably need to get the End User, seeing as how the Header Reflashes are probably not meant for a Cat...

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
you could probably run a header reflash with a cat with no issues. I mean, I plan to. I also plan to run my PRC intake mani with it. I plan on a lot of things... and time keeps passing :sigh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts