Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Type S exhaust Swap Complete!!!!

3K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  BLACKBEAUTYRSX 
#1 ·
Okay so yesterday I went out to my friends Ross and Jennifer(Two other base owners) And we installed my type s exhaust all the way from the headers to the catback. I had ordered some bolts and gaskets from the dealership just incase there were some broken bolts but Ross did excellent. The install wasn't too bad it was more taking off the rusted bolts that was the task but again Ross did great. So we took off my arospeed headers base cat and HKS exhaust and swapped everything with Type S parts.There is a 1/2 an inch difference in the Type S piping compared to the base, and my HKS piping was the same size as the Type S Piping. The header is longer as well as the catalyst but everything bolts up perfectly. The sound is nice, I was getting tiered of my HKS growl, dont get me wrong i loved it but I no longer wanted so a big exhaust. I am happy with the outcome of this project and it was much cheaper then buying a whole new exhaust. I do reccomond this project to others and i believe you will also be happy with the outcome.
Parts: Type S Header--$65 Shipped From member on ClubRSX
Type S Cat--$150 Shipped from member on ClubRSX
Type S CatBack-$55 Shipped From Ebay Member
Bolts and Gaskets-$55 From Dealership
So Grand Total---$325
This is a cheaper alternative for the same if not more power gains then an aftermarket exhaust.I really have to thank Ross and Jennifer for taking time to help me on this swap. 2 new great friends of mine. I hope this answers any questions base owners had. The answer is---Yes the Type S exhaust can be done on base, just get all parts listed above and everything will piece together perfectly. Thanks for reading my post.
<<<<<<<Brendan>>>>>>>>

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice work. What kind of header did you get?

#6 ·
It felt a lot like my aftermarket set up, but quieter and more smooth. And when i had orginally installed my arospeed headers and HKS exhaust i felt more of a boost. But now it seems more free flowing and better taking off at the line. Time for some Torque Dampeners.I have no regrets with this set up at all. The only thing I fear is Type S owners Flaming me, lol. But i am really happy with the performance of this set up, damn typs cars were hoooked up to begin with. haha. Thanks for reading.

#7 ·
good info.. i'm glad you're satisified. i too am going that similar route -- type-s muffler with custom piping and either JR or comptech race header.

#10 ·
U don't need a downpipe. All u need are the parts I listed. Type S Header connects to Type S catalyst with gasket type s catalyst connects to B Pipe and B Pipe to Muffler. I think u only need a downpipe with a turbo set up but I could be wrong. I'd take pics but I have no digi cam, maybe next time I'm with Jennifer and Ross we can take pics. I know u were going this path but now decided 2 go turbo, but if u change ur mind it all bolts up. Best of Luck.
I'm glad I'm giving people Ideas!! LOL! :)

#12 ·
Lol. Thanks a lot guys. Go ahead and try it. Its a easy fun mod. With good power gains. Now I can get any aftermarket exhaust for the type s they don't make for the base :) I like reading posittive fedback, no flames yet, YAY! LOL! Keeps the mods coming guys.

#15 ·
Man! 141 Views. This most of been a good post. People can leave any feedback positive or negative. I am glad to see that its been positive thus far. Keep the replies coming. Makes me feel like a job weel done. Haha.

#19 ·
There is a rattle at 3000RPMs but I believe it is the Heatshiled for te catalyst that must be tihteed or removed, if not that it may be the extra holder the base header needed rubbing against the catalyst and that ca be bent away. Sadly I won't have time to fix this problem to the weekend. But it only rattles at 3000RPM ad if u maintain a 3000RPM, otherwise it goes away. Not really noticeable, but any noise I notice, lol. I wil let u know if that fixes the prolem. How did u know there would be a rattle?

#21 ·
You really won't find any power unless you u use everythin type s oem or an aftermarket set up. There is half an inch difference between base and type s so there is deff. A differene in power. If ur going to try this get everything type s oem or aftermarket.

#23 ·
Sadly no my friend. You will need a type s catalyst and type s header for it all to work. Those parts are usuallu easy to find in the for sale forum. If people ask about a down pipe its really called the A-Pipe and usualy this piece is already bolted to the catalyst.. Te type s catalyst and eader are longer and half an inch larer in diameter. Get these parts and join me on the type s swap lol. Good luck to u buddy.

#24 ·
thanks for the info. see i have the S bpipe and muffler, and am simply tryin to replace my muffler that was stolen(noone sellin any base mufflers, so i bought a type S catback today). is there a way to modify(cut.weld.etc) the S bpipe so i can bolt it up to my base cat and then put the S muffler on to the S bpipe?

#25 ·
Yea the Type S Exhaust I have to admit is much smoother than the Base stock exhasut, it's not as choppy.

I was there for the install and took a ride in it, I have to say it was a mod. worth doing for anyone who's looking to do something new to thier rides.

Good job Brenden...sorry if I spelled ur name wrong...no hard feelings pal.....:wavey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.