Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found a Type S exhaust to put onto my Base RSX, it includes only the exhaust from the cat back. I have seen in some posts that I need a new header. What type of header would I need? Any replies would be appreciated before I purchase the exhaust. When searching through other threads I see I need a downpipe??? Could somebody explain what exactly I need so I do not buy the exhaust and cannot put it on the car. And if I do need something where do I purchase it ie. header/downpipe.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
You would need a race header in order to bolt up the exhaust made for the type s directly. Shorty header made for the type s would be useless in your case because there is the cat after the header. The type s exhaust would not bolt up to the base cat. The race header eliminates the cat and that's where the type s exhaust bolt up to.

For the type s exhaust to work on a base you need either:

1. Race header + Type S exhaust

2. Shorty header for Type S + Type S Cat + Type S exhaust

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Anywhere! Lol. Check the for sale forums people always selling them, the catalyst is the harder thing to find. 150 is the usual cost for a type s cat. U can pick up a OEM header for 50 to 65 bucks for the type s. Glad to see aother 1 follow my lead. ;)

·
OG member
4,194 Posts
why put a type S exhaust??? i can see why with the jackson race header...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i would just get a race header (ie Comptech or JR) then get an aftermartket exhaust made for the type s thats a 2.36" ie power getter, HKS hi power, tanabe hyper medalion, or 5 zigen fireball. any (most) japanese company have a 2.36" pipeing on there exhaust. this way your squeezing out 100% of all the power you can get from your exhaust system and it will sound good too :) 5zigen fireball is the most quiet hands down, very close to stock FYI

good luck
Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts