Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a "running" first gen RSX type-s with a k20z1 engine and transmission. It would get a rev limiter at 5500rpm and it would blow fuses like it was the 4th of July. I took it to a shop to get a proper ecu/tune put in it. I asked for a kpro. It's been there over a year and the owner of the shop can't get in contact with anyone who can answer enough questions for him to even start working on it. This is a shop that primarily tunes Miatas on Haltech or Megasquirt, but they are the only shop in my area that is willing to tune it. Hondata/kpro won't speak to him and is refering him to vendors. He said he can't get any of the vendors to answer any questions or if they say they'll call back, they don't. The bonus here is that I still need to purchase a Kpro and possibly an ECU, (My ECU was stolen while the car sat in the shop yard) so there is at least a sale attached to this question...........which is, does anyone have time to answer some questions about tuning my setup and what we will need to purchase ? Upstate S.Carolina area

I would be grateful for any help

·
Waifu Deluxe
798 Posts
k20a and I believe Hondata also have their own forums.

I'd expect to find a different tuner with Honda experience. Not that that guy couldn't get you something, but it seems like he's in over his head. Also with covid and supply shortages, their may be an issue with that and Hondata.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take your RSX back. That's NOT the shop to make it happen. What do you mean "first gen RSX Type-S" ? a 2001- 2004 ? That version comes with a K20A2. The refresh 2005 - 2006 model comes with a K20Z1. It's my understanding that you can ship an E.C.M./E.C.U. directly to Hondata. When it returns use one of the base map tunes that come with it to drive it to a shop that specializes in tuning Acura/Honda vehicles.

·
Boosted K20A3
83 Posts
Fellow RSX owner in upstate SC here.

I never found any reputable local tuners familiar with Hondas when I looked in the 2017-2019 time frame. I had a great experience at Driven Tuning near Charlotte and recommend them, though. There's also a shop with good reviews up near Asheville (Arden) called HPTautosport. I actually got my K-Pro through them (before I knew about Driven) on a spare ECU I bought through car-part.com.

This being said, though, I'm not sure your issues sound K-Pro / tuning related. If the engine is mostly stock and the one that came with that model car (as Will4781 mentioned, you said first gen but K20Z1, which would indicate an engine swap occurred), then you should be able to get a replacement ECU and have it keyed with your immobilizer at Acura. If it is indeed a swap to the K20Z1, then there are many issues that could have happened - such as the K20A2 ECU was used incorrectly for the K20Z1 engine/trans.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take your RSX back. That's NOT the shop to make it happen. What do you mean "first gen RSX Type-S" ? a 2001- 2004 ? That version comes with a K20A2. The refresh 2005 - 2006 model comes with a K20Z1. It's my understanding that you can ship an E.C.M./E.C.U. directly to Hondata. When it returns use one of the base map tunes that come with it to drive it to a shop that specializes in tuning Acura/Honda vehicles.

Right. 2002 type-s with a Z1 swap. Engine and trans. It was a hack job, electronically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fellow RSX owner in upstate SC here.

I never found any reputable local tuners familiar with Hondas when I looked in the 2017-2019 time frame. I had a great experience at Driven Tuning near Charlotte and recommend them, though. There's also a shop with good reviews up near Asheville (Arden) called HPTautosport. I actually got my K-Pro through them (before I knew about Driven) on a spare ECU I bought through car-part.com.

This being said, though, I'm not sure your issues sound K-Pro / tuning related. If the engine is mostly stock and the one that came with that model car (as Will4781 mentioned, you said first gen but K20Z1, which would indicate an engine swap occurred), then you should be able to get a replacement ECU and have it keyed with your immobilizer at Acura. If it is indeed a swap to the K20Z1, then there are many issues that could have happened - such as the K20A2 ECU was used incorrectly for the K20Z1 engine/trans.

Best of luck to you!

It's a 2002 Type-S. I thought it may have just had the badges glued on but I decoded the VIN and it's genuine. I'm pretty sure the A2 ECU was used but I wasn't sure how to correctly identify it. I did crawl all around the car until I found the K20Z1 stamp on the engine and transmission........but yeah, it ran like garbage. Thanks a lot for the shop recommendations. I'm not sure if they'll be in my budget but I'll call and find out. The shop owner said he'd replace my ECU with a used one or he could put a stand alone ECU in (Haltech) and tune it that way. I just wonder how well the Haltech would run everything. Hit me up if you like. I'd love to check out your RSX.

Much appreciated !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts