Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is another post about the tc v. the base RSX. I'm not interested in that comparison, because I was never interested in the base RSX. For me, it was the Type S or nothing from Acura. The 6speed manual transmission was huge for me, and might well be the saving grace for Type S IMO. I went to the movies yesterday, and before the movie there was a commercial for the tc. It was very similar to the RSX commercial that is on tv, but the tc commercial was more futuristic and had annimation. I was struck with how good looking the tc was, and how solid the stance was. As far as I'm concerned, Toyota just did not make a car that I was into, except for the IS300 or Supra (I do not like the Celica or MR2 or any of the others) but those cars are out of my range. For me, Toyota seemed to make the right trucks, but not the right cars. Honda made the right car, the Type S. There are some things that I never liked about the Type S, like the wheels, and tiny rear windows, and super-small sunroof, and crappy speakers, and I do not think that the turning radius is as good as it should be. But there are plenty of things about the Type S that I love...and that is why it is my car. But seriously, look at this Scion tc, and look at the base price and how you can option it:
http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Scion_tC&ReviewID=1566
I'd be very surprised if Honda did not counter some of this with the '05 model, but the ability to factory customize the tc makes it a much more accessible car than the Type S. Look at the sunroof on that thing, and standard 17s with factory optional 18s or 19s, and a factory optional supercharger...heck, all of the TRD stuff. I'll be watching these cars carefully as they roll out over the next few months (they come out this week), and I might even go to a lot and drive one. Looks like real competition.

·
Asian dude
3,145 Posts
I think it is great that they came up with the concept of having more options in performance rather than just accessories. The motor is decent and the car looks great in my opinion and the price is just right for a starter. I think the RSX is a better car though. But for the prices, you can't beat the tc unless you want a geo or kia.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Supercharged tC won't be out for awhile. My Scion dealer said the earliest they may see one is December. However, many n/a tCs are already being sold...nice cars.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
when i first heard of the new tC, i was surprised that for such a low price it had all these options and the power of the engine is pretty decent. might be stupid but after hearing the arrival of the new tC, i was disappointed in my type s, :(. but of course the rsx is a better car because it does cost more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ombastic said:
might be stupid but after hearing the arrival of the new tC, i was disappointed in my type s, :(. but of course the rsx is a better car because it does cost more.
What? The tC uses a 160HP Camry motor...not to mention a weasy 6200 RPM redline! For it to make the same HP as the Type S it needs a supercharger. Type S is way superior to the tC, even the supercharged one. 100 HP per liter n/a...c'mon dude. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
Well, if the tC really turns out to be just that great and all, it'll probably become the new civic thing. Remember, sometimes if a car is made to be vey low costing yet it gives a lot...a lot of people will buy it and it'll be one of those cars that you see everywhere. besides that, i'm sure it's a nice car since it's coming from scion/toyota...but i'd still like to keep my base rsx

·
28,750 Posts
The morons at Scion/Toy aren't bringing them or any Scion's here :firemad: We get the Vitz instead. Oh yay.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
DavidT said:
What? The tC uses a 160HP Camry motor...not to mention a weasy 6200 RPM redline! For it to make the same HP as the Type S it needs a supercharger. Type S is way superior to the tC, even the supercharged one. 100 HP per liter n/a...c'mon dude. :thumbsup:
lmao man. needs a 2.4L? that's the absolute most asanine statement i've ever heard on clubRSX. It doesn't need a 2.4L to make that power. It's just a camry engine, meaning an engine from a mid-size family sedan. it's not supposed to be some sort of crazy high-hp high-revving engine. Notice it has an FE head. If it was a GE head, u could argue that it was made for power. Not only that, tehy'd probably use lift, and other crazy features like the K20.

Also, look at the torque, 20 more ft-lbs over the Type-S, and that's raised to 206 after the supercharger is added. Plus, tehy're actually using a Vortech as opposed to the Roots style that's used for teh other TRD superchargers, so there's a lot more potential for it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
02 DsrtSilverBase said:
lmao man. needs a 2.4L? that's the absolute most asanine statement i've ever heard on clubRSX. It doesn't need a 2.4L to make that power. It's just a camry engine, meaning an engine from a mid-size family sedan. it's not supposed to be some sort of crazy high-hp high-revving engine. Notice it has an FE head. If it was a GE head, u could argue that it was made for power. Not only that, tehy'd probably use lift, and other crazy features like the K20.

Also, look at the torque, 20 more ft-lbs over the Type-S, and that's raised to 206 after the supercharger is added. Plus, tehy're actually using a Vortech as opposed to the Roots style that's used for teh other TRD superchargers, so there's a lot more potential for it.
yeah i think the tC with a few thousand put into it would totally own a stock type s. =(

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
its all fun and games till you have to tell people you own a scion.....its not a lexus....its not even the lower toyota.....its the even lower scion.....you might as well just go gay and drive a pink volkswagen beetle

·
Vandergriff Acura rapes
475 Posts
I wouldn't say that. I would pick tC over Camrys or Corollas any time. tC is pretty cool, I have to say, but then a lot of cars now are coming w/ more 'sporty' packages. I saw this car from Hyundai or Kia or something and it's as cheap as lower civic models but as well sport-equipped as base RSX.. tC is a good option for people considering base RSX. However, can't be compared to S. Type S's engine efficiency and output and the higher redline and iVTEC are a different breed that cars like tC would be hard to compare against. People keep saying 'if tC did this or that' but the truth will be that the vast majority of new tC owners will not go for supercharger or any kinda speed-minded mods, just like the vast majority of RSXs you see on the street are total stocks.

·
twoplustwo
3,172 Posts
did any of you actually read the article....

Scion has chosen a menu of 40 different freestanding options, more than any other car in its class, ranging from a $4500 supercharger kit good for 200 horsepower to a selection of different chrome and leather shift knobs. Special Toyota Racing Development (TRD) high-performance items for the Scion tC include 18- and 19-inch wheels, a lowering kit, struts and shock absorbers, rear anti-roll bar, a high-performance clutch, a quick shifter, a stainless steel muffler, and a shift-point indicator light kit. Toyota's high-performance arm is already working on a 300-horsepower package of parts for the lunatic fringe.

esp the last sentence...

300-horsepower package will destroy the rsx-s

dont get me wrong, I love my RSX but that's pretty impressive :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
GrungeRSX said:
Yeah, well, type s w/ a few thousand put into it would eat tC for lunch. Have you seen turboed RSX w/ 300+ horsepower?
um..the price difference between the two would be significant also

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
GrungeRSX said:
I wouldn't say that. I would pick tC over Camrys or Corollas any time. tC is pretty cool, I have to say, but then a lot of cars now are coming w/ more 'sporty' packages. I saw this car from Hyundai or Kia or something and it's as cheap as lower civic models but as well sport-equipped as base RSX.. tC is a good option for people considering base RSX. However, can't be compared to S. Type S's engine efficiency and output and the higher redline and iVTEC are a different breed that cars like tC would be hard to compare against. People keep saying 'if tC did this or that' but the truth will be that the vast majority of new tC owners will not go for supercharger or any kinda speed-minded mods, just like the vast majority of RSXs you see on the street are total stocks.
:iamwiths:

the car has been tested to do 15.8 in the 1320....not conna be spankin(or even hanging with) the type s at all unless it gets teh supercharger(4500) and that will bring it up to the type s's price range..

type s with intake and hondata can do low low low 14s

if you consider the tc over the type s for anything other than monetary reasons....you should have your head examined

that car will never outhandle a type s....the engineer that decided to put TWO heavy ass glass sunroofs on the highest part of the car needs to get kicked in the face :thumbsdow

·
baby buffett
13,383 Posts
The supercharged tC will take the type S stock. Start modding! :wavey:

·
baby buffett
13,383 Posts
and i'm pretty sure the S/C tC will get a following just like the type s.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
its a nice car...but would i buy one? No.

Its around 16500 with tax and everything. Well around there. And then a super charger is 4500 bucks. Strut package. Exhaust package. Lowering package. It all adds up. The damn TC will cost MORE than a type S with all that shit and will pretty much perform the same.

Plus 200 hp n/a > 200 hp turbo.

Also 6spd, lighter, etc etc.

Its a nice car but i wouldnt consider it as a car i would go about modding.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts