Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
169 miles...
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo! Just checked out Honda's website in japan, and the 06' Type R weighs in at 1,180 kilograms without A/C. Thats about 2601 lbs. 06 Type S weighs 2840 right. Just trying to gather a list of what the differences are that cause the type r to weigh less. There is about 240 lbs difference. I'll start, if anyone else has any ideas shoot them out!

The obvious:

Sunroof: About 70-80 lbs.
A/C: About 70-100 lbs. ?????? se eblow, honda claims A/C only adds 22 lbs.
Less Tar(sound reducing material) 20 lbs

Heres the interesting thing. Honda's site says without A/C the Type R is 1180 kilograms(2601 lb), with A/C it's 1190 kilograms(2623 lbs). hmmmm
leaves anywhere from 40-100 lbs left :thumbsup:

·
Mike Ock
4,305 Posts
Punker1234 said:
Yo! Just checked out Honda's website in japan, and the 06' Type R weighs in at 1,180 kilograms without A/C. Thats about 2601 lbs. 06 Type S weighs 2840 right. Just trying to gather a list of what the differences are that cause the type r to weigh less. There is about 240 lbs difference. I'll start, if anyone else has any ideas shoot them out!

The obvious:

Sunroof: About 70-80 lbs.
A/C: About 70-100 lbs. ?????? se eblow, honda claims A/C only adds 22 lbs.
Less Tar(sound reducing material) 20 lbs

Heres the interesting thing. Honda's site says without A/C the Type R is 1180 kilograms(2601 lb), with A/C it's 1190 kilograms(2623 lbs). hmmmm
leaves anywhere from 40-100 lbs left :thumbsup:
radio.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
Lmao, funny. It's kinda illegal for jdm cars to have a speedo that goes over 180 kph...LOTS of jdm cars only have a speedo that goes to 180 kph. Few exceptions here and there, NSX for one goes up to 300 kph if i remeber correctly, but for the most part 98% of the passenger cars only have a speedo at 180kph.

Just a rule they had...kinda like how american cars back in the day had 55mph on the speedo highlighted because it was a nationwide speedlimit on the highway.

As far as weight, yes the AC only adds 25 lbs supposedly...w/e, I don't honda would lie about it's weight. AC isn't as heavy as everyone thinks, it's not like 100 lbs or anything close to that. The main components are the condensor, evap, and compressor.

Things which make the ITR lighter then the fully loaded type-S...hmm

-No sound deadening (i'm pretty sure type-R's have 0 deadening...most honda sport cars back then didn't have any.)
-No sunroof
-No radio
-No AC (optional)
-Alumium Hood (just like the s2000)
-Alumium Control Arms
-Alumium Rear calipers
-Alumium rear bar that goes under the rear seats (crossbeam bar or w/e it's called)
-Recaro seats with no side air bags
-No cruise control

Those are the main differences that I can think of right now, there might be a few other ones here and there but that's the majority of it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The flywheel is worth 6lbs.

The aluminum Brembos are lighter than the Iron TypeS front calipers.

·
Jurassic Member
4,023 Posts
mikestypes said:
The flywheel is worth 6lbs.

The aluminum Brembos are lighter than the Iron TypeS front calipers.

That what I would say the Brembos are lighter, but what's funny the hubs, brembo rotors, are heavier than the stock S. The brake pedals are heavier than stock S as well.

The front metal bumper guard on the S is probably a lot heavier than the ITR brace that fits on the front of it.

Chassis panels may be lighter as well.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Importtuner said:
Lmao, funny. It's kinda illegal for jdm cars to have a speedo that goes over 180 kph...LOTS of jdm cars only have a speedo that goes to 180 kph. Few exceptions here and there, NSX for one goes up to 300 kph if i remeber correctly, but for the most part 98% of the passenger cars only have a speedo at 180kph.

Just a rule they had...kinda like how american cars back in the day had 55mph on the speedo highlighted because it was a nationwide speedlimit on the highway.

As far as weight, yes the AC only adds 25 lbs supposedly...w/e, I don't honda would lie about it's weight. AC isn't as heavy as everyone thinks, it's not like 100 lbs or anything close to that. The main components are the condensor, evap, and compressor.

Things which make the ITR lighter then the fully loaded type-S...hmm

-No sound deadening (i'm pretty sure type-R's have 0 deadening...most honda sport cars back then didn't have any.)
-No sunroof
-No radio
-No AC (optional)
-Alumium Hood (just like the s2000)
-Alumium Control Arms
-Alumium Rear calipers
-Alumium rear bar that goes under the rear seats (crossbeam bar or w/e it's called)
-Recaro seats with no side air bags
-No cruise control

Those are the main differences that I can think of right now, there might be a few other ones here and there but that's the majority of it.
supposedly the rsx has aluminum hood and front fenders. Thats what is says on acura's website. Dont know how they can advertise that when in reality they are not.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
compdoc777 said:
That what I would say the Brembos are lighter, but what's funny the hubs, brembo rotors, are heavier than the stock S. The brake pedals are heavier than stock S as well.

The front metal bumper guard on the S is probably a lot heavier than the ITR brace that fits on the front of it.

Chassis panels may be lighter as well.

Chassis panels are the same, the ITR only has a lighter hood.

JDM bumper supports in general are lighter (about 4 lbs) because they aren't 5mph rated...you could kick them in...they're super thin.

The ITR brakes are heavier, those calipers are huge...i believe the rotor is the same size if i remeber correctly.

4 piston brembo big brake caliper is way heavier then the Type-S caliper.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Importtuner said:
The ITR brakes are heavier, those calipers are huge...i believe the rotor is the same size if i remeber correctly.

4 piston brembo big brake caliper is way heavier then the Type-S caliper.
Just because they are bigger does not mean they are heavier. They are aluminum and I have always been told they are lighter.

·
2002 type S
392 Posts
Is really that heavy the sunroof???
or the A/C??

i recently removed and A/C system from a 89 mitsu, and I dont think weights more than 50lbs....

maybe 60lbs with the climate control but 100lbs?? really??

I just asking...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts