Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was taking some groceries out of the back of my car and the last few days, I've smelled an odor in the car that has a distinct engine fluid stench. It got stronger as I lowered my head down towards the spare tire.

After removing the spare cover, sub and spare tire, I was greeted with this.

Upon closer inspection, it's definitely used oil.

Now, memory fails me at this point as to whether or not I've actually transported used oil before in the back of my car but it really doesn't matter whether I have or not simply because the carpet cover, the black foam tire cover, the sub and the spare tire itself are all dry as a bone.

How in the crap did this oil appear here? Is there some sort of oil line that runs under the spare tire area that could be leaking it into the car?

I'm totally baffled by this. I just spent the last hour out there in the garage and an entire roll of paper towels (btw, that super absorbent quilted mumbo jumbo is a crock of crap) and I can't see any visible source of the oil. The padding or sound absorbent material is soaked and as I wiped it down, seems to be lightly disintegrating.

·
Eat Liberals
16,445 Posts
dood there is no way it got in there, unless look under the car, maybe you lost your pan and all the oil snuck in through a lil hole. but seriously, there arent any lines going from the engine towards the rear as far as oil is concerned. most likely oil was transported in the rear and it spilled in.

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
It looks like the oil came from the left, where the overflow line is for the gas tank.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I bought it new. I've had it for like.. 3 years now and as far as I can recall, I've never transported used oil in the back. Of course, I could be wrong but I'm wondering how it got down there through the top layer of carpet. There's no oil on it at all. No staining or anything.

It's been to the dealership one time to have the Vtec pressure solenoid replaced but that's it. Unless someone there thought it would be cute to pour old oil in my trunk :confused: But that was quite a while back and I would have smelled it by this point.

Eh, who knows. I've got the cover, tire, jack, etc out of the back, I spent over an hour last night cleaning it all up. It's pretty clean but the sound absorbing material started to disentegrate and is sort of mushy.

I'm leaving the spare behind my passenger seat for now. Hopefully it will air out or something.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
you have a 05-06

take it to acura to inspect for ....whatever lol

did you recently have anything done, such as underbody protectant applied to your car for the winter or something? it appears to have LEAKED in from the left side of you car

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This might be a stretch but are you sure it is oil? Alot of people including myself have had water leak into that area. When I discovered mine it was a few inches deep. Maybe that is water that has been sitting for months.

·
Retired OG
147,491,194 Posts
"that" assuming its oil, just doesnt get there on its own...lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.