Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
^^^given slave name
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i dont know if you could wire this up right but what about a DGI )Digital Gear Indicator so you could know what gear you are in. The only ones I could find though were for motorcycles. Anyone think that this could be wired up. They are like $90.

·
///elitist prick
48,951 Posts
that might help some, but i think the problem is more about not knowing how to shift rather than not know which gear the "mis-shifter" is in. pulling the stick to the left when going from 5th to 4th and ending up in 2nd seems to be the main cause of blown engines. don't pull to the left!! :shooting: mis-shifters!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
When u down shift from 5th to 4th there is more of a straight down motion, then a pull to the left. Its hard to explain, but if u pull the shiftknob to the the left then u will put it in 2nd. It just takes time, try to get used to where the gears are located while your parked. (oh yea dont forget to put in the clutch):spin:

·
Go Seminoles!
3,106 Posts
My RSX was the first manual transmission I ever drove, so I basically learned off of it. I must say that I have done the from 5th to 2nd gear once or twice, but for the most part I have done it correctly. RSXster is right, when he says it's hard to explain, because it is. It's like pulling down and just slightly pushing it to the left. Although, I can see how this could cause problems to some people.

~Luke

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Uhm your shifter always returns to neutral.

Go to neutral and then fourth is straight down.

Very simple.

Perhaps if people just doubled clutched on every violent downshift they'd avoid blowing their engines.

Then again if they knew how to drive stick this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think this 5 to 2 issue also have something to do with the way you hold the shifter too. if you are grabbing the shifter with your entire hand. (like you are making a thumb up) It is more likely to mis-shift because you are pulling more to the left. A proper way to hold it is to put your palm on top of the shifter and shift that way. This way, you have a better coordination with the shifter and I ALWAYS know what gear I'm going into. Try for the difference guys!:thumbsup:

·
old member
963 Posts
i hold the stick with just my thumb, index, and middle finger on the side, not on top...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you want a dial that tells you what gear you're in? man, are you in special ed? is your computer set on the setting that shows words like at 30 font?

come on, you should just have a clue what gear you're in cuz of your speed and rpms....then when you shift, it goes to neutral so u dont' need to pull at all. just let it go back to original position.

double clutching....go search because we talk about this TOOOO MUCH...i still can't do it when i downshift cuz i'm slow and it jerks...and really, i can't downshift worht crap, the engine doesnt really slow me down at all, i just downshift at certain pts but use my brakes to slow it down and stop it....damnit, i don't know how you people get your engine to slow your car soo nicely...hehe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.