Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you northerners with an rsx protect the underside any specific way? or do you just leave it alone? as far as i know, salt will be used on the roads along with chemicals and i'd like to know if something should be done to the car. anyone with a high mileage rsx used during brutal winters having rust problems?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im probably missing something, but i wash my car at least once a week during winter.Sometimes twice a week if the roads are really salty. Make sure you wash the undercarriage , and kick off the snow/ice in your wheel wells when you get home before it turns to ice. Also, i wax my car before tfirst snowfall every year and spring. These steps are pretty obvious, but the best way to protect you car is getting a winter beater. I hate winter so much its nothing but bad news for cars!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
for newer cars rust isnt a huge problem as they make them better and are aware of such potential problems and build them to prevent the=is from occuring, 10+ years ago youd have to be careful..but like was said above..basic care is always a good idea to be safe..wax b4 winter, you dont have to do a full detail but dont let salt etc sit on the car for more than1-1 1/2 weeks etc and you should be fine..i live in NY and have had my car for 3 yrs and havent noticed any difference in my paints finish or the wheel well/undercarriage

·
02 blue type-s
312 Posts
Wash the shit outta the ledge under the rear wheelwells as the design of modern cars is exactly the same as 10plus years ago, it just takes them over 10 years to rust out. I very highly doubt "modern" cars are any better than 90's rusted hondas-it just takes a while for them to rust. My wifes 1997 CRV just started to bust out with rust this year. Weve only owned it for 3 years so the PM that should have been done to protect it surely was not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i should add, there is a small mark that has worn to the metal near the front left mudflap (whatever it's called, where it sits against the body). i'll have to touch that up. the idea of that existing where i can't see it is what concerns me the most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts