Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello out there. New to the boards, and newish to EP3s. I'm a Honda Platinum rated journeyman tech in Canada working at one of the biggest Honda dealers in the area, but we don't see many EP3s. That said, I'm a Honda tech and not really big into modding Hondas. I have a JDM Evo and a diesel truck for that, my only experience with Honda modding is checking out the projects the other guys at the shop have, and my stock car.

I currently run a 1987 Honda CRX on a local dirt oval track and am looking to expand the race team next season with another car. A 2002 EP3 write-off is up for sale cheap (well, cheap for here, lets not worry about how much I'm paying for it) and I plan to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Damage is minor, just some cosmetic stuff. Chances are the car may end up tube-framed anyway, so not too worried about that. Onto my situation:

The class I run in has rules that allow fuel injection or carburetion (I love how Google Chrome tells me I spelled that wrong). Fuel injected cars are given a weight penalty of 1.3 lbs per CC, while carb cars get 1.0 lbs per CC. Engines are fairly open except for some stuff about flat top pistons and stock (for the engine) stroke. Knife edging and such is allowed.

The car comes with a running but higher mileage K20A3 (which will be refreshed as necessary). I also have access to a K20A2 through a sponsor, which would also need refreshing.

I am considering switching the A3 to carb and getting the benefits of lower weight, which as I understand is not exactly something commonly done. I know it would involve some custom parts and tuning, and I am willing to bet I'd lose some HP/TQ by having to eliminate the computer control and fuel injection, but would gain simplicity (in wiring and engine bay) and likely better handling/acceleration because of lighter weight.

With the A2 swap, I don't really know what I'd need or want aside from Kpro. The A2 has better power out of the box, but in this situation actually results in a worse power to weight ratio, assuming both engines and kept stock (They won't, in either case a cold air intake and race header would be installed at the bare minimum).

It seems kind of dumb considering the A2 swap is probably easier, but budget also comes into play here. An MSD distributorless setup with a custom intake manifold and Holley 350 CFM carb would be more of a PITA, but probably not overly expensive. The A2 could be pricey and equally complicated during the car building phase.

What I'm looking for is advise on how you guys - who know how to build these engines for performance - would build this sort of stuff. Keep in mind this car will be a stripped out shell with a full cage and does not need to be street legal. Most of the time it will be running in the upper rpm range of either engine (I can adjust my gearing and such to keep in the top 3000 or so rpm of each engine). Cooling will be handled by a full size two row aluminum rad with fans.

Any HELPFUL input would be appreciated. Don't waste both our time telling me a carb on a K series is stupid. I know that, but rules sometimes make the stupid options worthwhile. Don't tell me to do the A2 swap without a good reason why or without supplying a good list of mods to build a decent race motor.

There is always option three. Option three is leave the A3 and do mods to it in fuel injected mode, but oddly that seems to be the worst choice of the three...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Assuming you have the budget to support it, I think the obvious configuration would be to carb that a2. The only benefit I see to running the a3 is that replacement engines are cheap and plentiful. But who wants to swap engines all the time? The a3 simply isnt a racing engine... not even close. Have you considered a dual or quad carb setup? You might actually make more power over FI if you got everything tuned right. Delorto, weber, or mikuni side draft carbs? I converted my old rx7 to a holley 600cfm with mech. secondaries and found the holley to be kindof a PIA and wished I would have went side draft. With the intake ports on a k motor being pointed at the front of the car, this makes the most sense to me. It would also be easier to fab up a decent high flow intake manifold that will actually fit under the hood with this setup. Ram air! If you must run the a3 I say still carb it, the less harsh weight penalty would obviously make a huge difference.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
dumping the injection might cause some issues with spark......I guess you could install some points........:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts