Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cold air or just short ram?

some say that it only kicks in around 5k rpm

so its really not worth it....and it uses more gas....

what do you guys think?

cuz i know a guy selling me a AEM short ram for only 50bucks...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
short rams are worthless unless in the winter time. They get heat soaked very quickly. CAI is the way to go but you have a slight chance of hydrolocking your engine up. I would say that a CAI is the best way to go. I plan on getting one very soon.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
ICE BOX baby !! ICE ICE BABY

·
Registered
235 Posts
not for auto tho. cold air's most likely the way to go, this coming from research and not first-hand experience. i almost got an sri for about the same price, but decided to hold out for cold air. hopefully, it'll be worth it.

also, supposedly intakes should get u slightly better gas mileage if u drive the same as u did before. something about improved efficiency and breathing. i dunno myself

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i heard tho...as long as you dont stomp ur gas...really hard....

drive low RPMS...

is it worth it to add a full exhaust system on base models?

without headers that is...

btw, do you guys have trouble drivin the rsx?

cuz i find that...there's so much BLIND SPOTS...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Are CAI not too good for winter??
or really cold weather??
what are some concerns?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I like the icebox because it's quieter and has better throttle response. It's still far better than stock, too. Doesn't beat a CAI, but there are a couple draw-backs to the CAIs. I agree that hydrolocking is not likely, I've only heard 2 stories of people hydrolocking their RSX in the two years that i've been a member here, one of them was able to blow the water out of the spark plug holes, the other one messed up for good, though. I wouldn't worry about hydrolocking, point being. But I like airbox designs better for some reason.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Black_dc5 I am interested in your CAI as long as you have the washer bottle and all other necessary parts that came in the original box.

Jdm_rsx, you would have to outbid me!! HAHA let it begin!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've heard the AEM V2 performs well without the fear of hydrolocking. I have also heard that the AEM V2 doesn't have as much heat soak as the SRI. Any thoughts?

·
I support Death Panels
8,112 Posts
Short rams

Pros
- NOT worthless. A good one is worth about 9 horsepower at the wheels, and that's the most conservative dyno test I've seen.

- Much easier to install. No cutting, no leaky aftermarket water bottles

- Easier to clean the filter. No crawling on the ground or pulling back the fender liner

- Filter stays cleaner. CAIs are closer to the ground, down by the dirt and the puddles and the sand. There is far less junk flying around under your hood

- No hydrolock. True, it's not a common occurence, but when you're talking about something that can potentially destroy your $5,000 motor, it's not a joke either. It's also not as rare as some people kid themselves into thinking. I know of two blown motors in my area, and neither "drove through a lake" or whatever. All it takes is a deep road puddle or a flooded street or parking lot you can't avoid. Ultimately what matters most is whether the mere possibility bothers you or not.

Cons
Less power

CAI
Pros
More power, apparently about twice as much as an SRI on our cars.

Cons
See above, and the "more power" is about 9 whp. Quite respectable, but it's about the same as turning off your a / c.

Note:
"Heat soak" as used referring to intakes is a misnomer. Real "heat soak" is something mostly endurance race cars experience, and it is a condition where an engine or turbocharger has absorbed so much heat, or is cooling so slowly, that increased rpm generates only more heat, not more horsepower. Some people seem to be assuming that the intake somehow passes on heat that it absorbed to the air passing through it, which it can't because the air is moving through the tube far to quickly to be heated (at least in a short ram). The difference in temps between underhood and "cold air" intakes comes solely from where the filter is located.

"Cold air" means less than 20 degrees colder, and less than 2 h.p.
It takes a ten degree difference in temperature to produce one (flywheel) h.p., and a CAI making 9 more whp than an SRI is NOT providing intake air that is 90 degrees cooler. A test in SCC indicated less than a 10-20 degree difference in intake temps at best, although it was the same test that showed that CAIs make double the horsepower. It is likely that the length or shape of intake tube provides most of the benefit.

On the other hand, they may provide a better "cold air" benefit when you first take off after sitting in traffic idling, where underhood temps rise and the CAI sits outside at ambient temp. Once you're moving, your underhood temp is not much more than ambient because of the air flow from the front of the car.

:spin:

·
Registered
278 Posts
i've had my Injen SRI for a year now... I felt a huge difference. For sure your getting more power... In the summer (lots of heat) it still qorked perfectly... the heat sheild is excellent. And in the winter.... DAMN... its awsome!!!

·
ricerboy
377 Posts
okay.. what jsut a minute... 9 WHEEL HP? Do you have a dyno to support this claim? 18 for a CAI??? I won't beleive it until I see some real numbers.

I've never heard of an intake producing that much power...are you sure the dynos aren't for I/H/E? That sounds much more beleivable.

Go CAI... I live in Canada and I drove with my CAI all year round, NEVER had a single problem. Admitadly, the filter is a bitch to clean, but honestly, you don't NEED to clean the filter more often about ~15000 miles (unless you are HARDCORE about performance). Every third time you change your oil just go to a mech and ask to do it right there.

If you're totally stock right now, a CAI is the single best engine mod you can do. Nice gains for low $$$. BUT if you plan on going bigger later on, plan it out... cuz your CAI won't fit on a turbo (hee hee).

·
I support Death Panels
8,112 Posts
Iskra said:
okay.. what jsut a minute... 9 WHEEL HP? Do you have a dyno to support this claim? 18 for a CAI??? I won't beleive it until I see some real numbers.

I've never heard of an intake producing that much power...are you sure the dynos aren't for I/H/E? That sounds much more beleivable.

Go CAI... I live in Canada and I drove with my CAI all year round, NEVER had a single problem. Admitadly, the filter is a bitch to clean, but honestly, you don't NEED to clean the filter more often about ~15000 miles (unless you are HARDCORE about performance). Every third time you change your oil just go to a mech and ask to do it right there.

If you're totally stock right now, a CAI is the single best engine mod you can do. Nice gains for low $$$. BUT if you plan on going bigger later on, plan it out... cuz your CAI won't fit on a turbo (hee hee).
The dynos were in a huge "RSX Intake Shootout" article in SCC or Honda Tuning about a year ago; don't remember which. The Injen SRI had the best gains for a short-ram with 9 whp, and AEM had the best gain for a CAI, at 19 or 20 whp, with the DC Sports CAI right behind at about 18. No other bolt-ons were used. Hondata participated to make sure the ecus were properly reset.

9-10 h.p. is not that unusual for an intake, although I agree the 18-20 sounds like a lot. Remember that most of these gains are concentrated at the extreme upper end of the rpm band, so some of it just stems from greatly increased flow from the cloth-style filter (the mag article also tested flow for each filter, and measured intake temps). And Injen actually claims 18 whp for its SRI, based on a dyno in some other mag, and some dynos that were posted here on ClubRSX actually supported that, but I think the general consensus is that it is necessary to carefully handle the ecu when switching parts and dynoing the RSX, and that not doing so produced some inflated numbers.

I consider the "Intake Shootout" numbers the most reliable source of info for RSX intakes, as it seemed to be the most thorough, unbiased, and carefully controlled.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts