Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Well from my knowledge of latin prefix's it sounds like poly has a number of different urathane's where as urathane is just one. I'm gonna guess that urathane is not as strong, but may be lighter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if u're talking about bushings there is 3 types: rubber, polyurethane (some people call it urethane for short), and Graphite. Rubber is what 99% stock cars carry. Polyurethane bushings are stiffer than rubber bushings but cost more and Graphite are almost hard as a rock and cost even more. The downside of having stiffer bushings is that it tends to transmit more vibrations and noise into the cabin of the car.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Urethanes (not urathane) and Polyurethanes are the same thing...trust me...I work with them all day. Matter of a fact im mixing some polyols right now. :)

FYI when you combine liquid Isocyanates and Alcohols (or Polyol) you get a polyurethane. :)

·
28,750 Posts
xspsi said:
if u're talking about bushings there is 3 types: rubber, polyurethane (some people call it urethane for short), and Graphite. Rubber is what 99% stock cars carry. Polyurethane bushings are stiffer than rubber bushings but cost more and Graphite are almost hard as a rock and cost even more. The downside of having stiffer bushings is that it tends to transmit more vibrations and noise into the cabin of the car.
He's talking about front lips (body kits).

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Good read, but i'm a bio major so the only know uread in the form of urine. U may be right though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well in terms of body kits, urethane is better than fiberglass right? If so what are the different characteristics, i hear fiberglass is not flexible?

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
yea, fiberglass is not flexible. I have a front lip and made sure it was made out of urethatne. It is very flexible. I heared that it's most important to have the urethane on the front lip because that's what get's the most banged. I hope i can find some c-west matching sideskirts in urethane, but i think they are only made in fiberglass

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
LeaD_FooT said:
bwahaha! Urea is what is in your piss! :laughing:
Yes but urea linkages are present in polyurethanes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
and carbon fiber is made out of a well known textile (acrylic) "burnt" (I don't know the english word) on a anareobic environment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts