Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to brake depot to get my rear brake pads replaced. I bought the part from acura, but I paid brake depot to install it for me. Anyways my car will be 3 years old this august, and in the manual it says to change brake fluid every 3 years. Well they replaced the fluid for me with no charge. I asked and said, the manual says to use only honda fluids. They put their stuff, but I forgot what its called. They said it will be fine if even though its not a honda fluid. Well, what do you guys think? Will it mess up my car in the future? It says to replace it with honda fluid if you use another temporary brand, but I don't want to go back and have it done. Guys give me some advice if its ok to use different brands of brake fluid.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Macruz19 said:
They said it will be fine if even though its not a honda fluid. Well, what do you guys think? Will it mess up my car in the future?
of course they said it would be fine because you are doing business with them. if someone sells you something, they're not going to say that it sucks.

from past bad experience, i only use honda fluids. i used prestone antifreeze from pep boys in my honda civic once. in a few months, i ended up paying hundreds of dollars in repairs because the prestone ate through the radiator bottom and developed a leak.

if i was in your position, i'd switch to genuine honda fluids.

·
Musclecar Man
55 Posts
Where Do You Buy Your Honda Fluids?

IntegraTypeR_uel said:
of course they said it would be fine because you are doing business with them. if someone sells you something, they're not going to say that it sucks.

from past bad experience, i only use honda fluids. i used prestone antifreeze from pep boys in my honda civic once. in a few months, i ended up paying hundreds of dollars in repairs because the prestone ate through the radiator bottom and developed a leak.

This may be a dumb question, but where do you pick up all your Honda fluids? Anti-freeze, transmission, etc. Are there any places you can mail order them cheap? Or do you have to always go to a Honda/Acura dealer?

BTW, I read another thread on CRSX that felt Prestone was fine to use in a RSX. This was some new type of any make, any color variety though. I assume you used the old lime green type?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Musclecar Man said:
This may be a dumb question, but where do you pick up all your Honda fluids? Anti-freeze, transmission, etc. Are there any places you can mail order them cheap? Or do you have to always go to a Honda/Acura dealer?

BTW, I read another thread on CRSX that felt Prestone was fine to use in a RSX. This was some new type of any make, any color variety though. I assume you used the old lime green type?
you are up... very very early... or very very late:sleep:

·
RSXOTIC
708 Posts
i am intrested in well.............do most repair shops use honda fluids?

what if i had a transmission flush done what would they put in if it wasnt a honda dealer?

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
Honda fluids can be bought from Honda dealerships, they'll sell it to you.

- For my radiator, I only use Honda antifreeze. It's pretty cheap and Honda's seem prone to problems with other antifreezes.
- In the tranny I'm still using Honda MTF because I was nervous about going to Redline after some people had problems, some people had improvements too, but since my tranny was okay for shifting, I stuck with what worked.
- I use Mobil1 engine oil and my idle feels smoother. I costs more, but I prefer it.

- In my brake and clutch I'm now using Elf 5.1 and it feels much much better, a lot smoother on the downshift for the clutch. The brake feel a little more responsive, but that's likely just because the other fluid was old. I haven't flogged it on the track to test it's higher boiling point :p

My idea with fluids:
If you are going with a quality brand that has a well established product, you should be fine. Most Honda fluids are rebottled something-or-other store brands.
Just don't go for cheap crap.

·
2005 Type S
1,860 Posts
IntegraTypeR_uel said:

Wow thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to use Honda fluids from now on. Except for engine oil and tranny fluid.

·
140 lb-ft of fury
1,553 Posts
My uncle, a mechanic, told me that Honda power steering systems MUST use Honda power steering fluid. Anything else is quite unacceptable. Can anyone else verify this?

·
Long Live RSX
473 Posts
So far I've bought the Honda coolant and power steering fluids. My brake and transmission fluids are up for change and I will most likely stick these Honda fluids.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
well then tell em to not top off your fluids then.

·
Car = Stock back in 2004
1,630 Posts
u can use any brake fluid.. im running motul rbf 600 and its fine... and stoptech recommends the vavoline synpower brake fluid.. plus the honda one isn't that great as is

1 - 20 of 25 Posts