Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yut ughhh!!!
18,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, some of you are gonna automatically think that there are already diy's on this, but nooooooo :run:

this thread is pretty much just a show-off thread that doesn't help at all, and this one's best attempt to show (with a picture) where to hardwire the valentine doesn't even show where the connection is but, rather, an arrow that points in the direction of where it would be. :shakehead :thumbsdow

SO... my main question is:

WHICH WIRE DO I TAP INTO TO POWER MY VALENTINE 1? i've heard cigarette lighter wire and fuse box... but when i look at those areas, there isn't anything obvious to connect to... much less where to connect the ground!!!

valentine owners: pictures of the actual spots where you connected the wires would help IMMENSELY :pray:

·
onecrazyfoo4u
904 Posts
You just want to hardwire it so it's on whenever the ignition is on right? If it's a 2 wire hookup, just like all my other radar detectors, 1 goes to accessory power, 1 goes to ground. Ground can be any bolt or nut that touches the frame or body....just sand off the paint before securing the bolt. I use a bolt under the steering column somewhere for all my grounds.

For power just use a voltmeter and poke around in the fuse box and find a fuse that has 12+v. with the key on and 0 volts with key off. You can use the stereo fuse, ignition fuse, fuel pump fuse, etc. They're all on with the key on only.

·
onecrazyfoo4u
904 Posts
one wire goes to accessory power, in other words it goes to power that is only on when the car is either running, or the ignition key is in the accessory position (if you have your radio playing without starting the car).

fuel pump, stereo, ignition all have power in both of those cases (and no power when the car is off, which is what you want), so that's where you want the power line of the radar detector to go to.

·
Registered
637 Posts
the thing tho is in the kit that came w/the valentine i have a tap-in rather than a connector. it seems like i'm supposed to identify a wire to share electricity with and crimp onto it
If that's the case, tap into the power wire for the 12V accessory socket, since you'd be plugging it in there anyway if you weren't hardwiring it. There are two wires coming from the back of the 12V socket, and the wiring diagram in the service manual (downloadable from the DIY section) will tell you which one to tap. (Hint: it's the yellow/green one.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.