Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im near finish with completing the valve adjustment, I wont be starting my car until tommorrow but Im a little scared. The valve screws needed alot of adjustment sometimes an entire turn and all of them needed adjustment.

I double triple checked that each cylinder was TDC, per instructions http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=654652&highlight=valve+adjustment

I followed the diagram and used reference points to make sure I was getting TDC. Is it possible I did something wrong, because it needed alot of adjustment?

·
I wish I had more money
780 Posts
You'll never know until you start it up. I would start the car up now and troubleshoot in case something is wrong

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
I don't know if I'd be willing to gamble. Are you sure you used the correct feeler gauges?

As long as there is some gap there you probably won't hurt anything, but I'd want to be sure too, even if it seems to run fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if I'd be willing to gamble. Are you sure you used the correct feeler gauges?

As long as there is some gap there you probably won't hurt anything, but I'd want to be sure too, even if it seems to run fine.
Well all the valve gaps were extremely out of spec when I put them in TDC they were all too tight to squeeze in the feeler gauge. Some of them tremendously 2 maybe 3 full valve screw turns in order to get the right gap in.

·
healthiest
447 Posts
Jesus, did it sound like it was gonna explode before you did the adjustment? Thats way way way outta spec.

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
what feeler gauges did you use? 100% sure they were correct? mine were off by about half a turn on average at 120k miles when i did mine. but i'm sure it varies some

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Jesus, did it sound like it was gonna explode before you did the adjustment? Thats way way way outta spec.
Worked as it should since Ive owned it 1+yr, no faulty or suspecting sounds maybe slightly louder than average but not to the level where its obvious

what feeler gauges did you use? 100% sure they were correct? mine were off by about half a turn on average at 120k miles when i did mine. but i'm sure it varies some
craftsman .229 for intake .305 for exhaust

·
healthiest
447 Posts
Hummm is it a type-S. Seems a little to much lash. I set mine to .008 for intake and .010 exhaust (in inches). which is like 20mm and 25mm respectively.

·
VibrantFinish PowderCoat
466 Posts
when i did mine usually the lash was to open. start it up now and then tinker with it if you have to. nothing to worry about one start if theyr off wont do anything bad to the car especially if they were already off when driving the car for awhile

·
healthiest
447 Posts
Yeah thats just what I was thinking. Double check to make sure you are reading your feeler gauges in either inches or mm. Its .008 intake and .010 exhaust for inches, and .203 mm intake and .254mm exhaust.

·
healthiest
447 Posts
What motor is that for? z1? K24? Anyway, yeah i mean, sounds right if you did it like that.

Most importantly, how much chatter was it making before you did the valve adjustment. IF you had valves out 3-4 turns it would have sounded pretty damn horrendous.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fudge, just realizing that cylinder #1 might be closest to the passenger side/timing chain, but this diagram from the Diy is saying otherwise. Am I reading it wrong?

·
I f**ked Spaz's sister
855 Posts
yes, cylinder 1 is passenger side, 4 is driver side...

but it doesnt really matter because all valves are the same, intake and exhaust respectivly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts