Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Olivia Munn = :drool:
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just recently got new tires. Falken ziex 912, 215/50/17 on my stock wheels. After i got it installed, everything was fine, until i got on the freeway. Once i hit about 70 the steering wheel starts to vibrate and it feels like its going to jerk to one side. After like 2 days, i went to get an alignment cuz i thought that was the issue but it did not fix it. Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
Did you get it balanced? The alignment is mainly whether or not you're driving straight and if your steering wheel is straight. The rim/tire balancing is what keeps everything from vibrating. If you havent gotten it balanced, when you go for balancing, ask for "sticky weights" instead of the ones that hammer on. They're 10x more secure. :thumbsup:

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
yea, go get it balanced.

i just got some falken 912s on works though and my steering wheel vibrates past 60mph. ive gone in to 2 diff places (total of 3 times) for a wheel balance (also got an alignment today cuz i needed on anyways). so far, it still shakes. but im gonna go back in to discount tire next week and have them do a road force balance. if that doesnt help, then i seriously have no idea lol.

oh and a quick question, do your 912s all face in the same direction (rotation-wise)?

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking that also, but my bro took it to his work to get it mounted/balanced, and he said they balanced, but i feel they either half assed it or the weight is off. Would that be the only solutions or could there be another factor to the vibrations?

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, go get it balanced.

i just got some falken 912s on works though and my steering wheel vibrates past 60mph. ive gone in to 2 diff places (total of 3 times) for a wheel balance (also got an alignment today cuz i needed on anyways). so far, it still shakes. but im gonna go back in to discount tire next week and have them do a road force balance. if that doesnt help, then i seriously have no idea lol.

oh and a quick question, do your 912s all face in the same direction (rotation-wise)
?
is there a rotation logo on the tires? i couldnt find it when i was looking.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
is there a rotation logo on the tires? i couldnt find it when i was looking.
no, i was just wondering though. they are marked "outside" and "inside". so for mine, the left side is going one way and the right side is going the other way. i wasnt sure if that was normal or not, since my old 512s were directional

oh and from what i understand, after talking to many people (even the wheel/tire shops) is that its most likely the wheel balancing.

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
If it has one (i think it sound since the tread 100% uniform) it should be on the sidewall. You should show your brother the vibrations, and get them to balance it again regardless of what he says hahaha.

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah,, i remember 512s being directional. Also, im not sure which way their going but i know its all "outside"

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
What do you mean? Do they all say "outside" when you look at it from the outside of your car? It's either that, or theres an arrow that says "rotation" in it.

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, could it be the fact that its "50" rather than the stock "45"?

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean? Do they all say "outside" when you look at it from the outside of your car? It's either that, or theres an arrow that says "rotation" in it.
yeah they all say "outside" when you look at it. There are no directional arrows on these tires.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
also, could it be the fact that its "50" rather than the stock "45"?
i doubt it. it just sounds like they didnt balance it well. you know, i really dont get how places dont do a good balance. doesnt the machine tell them when its balanced? or do they have leeway on how balanced it could be

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
the 50 is fine, it just means it's 5% "taller" than the stock tires, so the tire itself fills in a little bit more of the wheel gap, it shouldnt have to do anything with the vibrations. Wait, i kind of assumed you were on stock wheels because of your signature picture... are you on stock rims?

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i doubt it. it just sounds like they didnt balance it well. you know, i really dont get how places dont do a good balance. doesnt the machine tell them when its balanced? or do they have leeway on how balanced it could be
:dontknow:

but yeah, most likely imma take it back and have them redo it.

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
Most machines are pretty accurate, the thing is, some people dont care if they get it perfect or not (i know i sure got all my wheels perfect when i used to mount and balance tires). Also, some places use weights that hammer onto the rim (on the 05-06 rims, you can only put these kind of weights on in the inside because the outside doesnt have a lip to get it on), which is why i said earlier that you should opt for "sticky weights" which just stick onto the rim (this is how it comes stock). Oh, another bad thing about the weights that hammer on is that they can fly off easily due to not hammering them on hard enough or whatever. I've had weights fly off on me :(

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
Those machines (even the cheaper ones) should at least give you enough "balance" up to 80mph, if you're starting to feel vibrations at 60-70mph, then it was a poor job (if it was even done).

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
Most machines are pretty accurate, the thing is, some people dont care if they get it perfect or not (i know i sure got all my wheels perfect when i used to mount and balance tires). Also, some places use weights that hammer onto the rim (on the 05-06 rims, you can only put these kind of weights on in the inside because the outside doesnt have a lip to get it on), which is why i said earlier that you should opt for "sticky weights" which just stick onto the rim (this is how it comes stock). Oh, another bad thing about the weights that hammer on is that they can fly off easily due to not hammering them on hard enough or whatever. I've had weights fly off on me :(
damn, that sucks. well for sure discount tire did a much better job balancing my tires than just tires. but for some reason theyre still not balanced so maybe the road force balancing will help me. what are your thoughts on that? i'm gonna go tomorrow morning for it.

freakin, i went to just tires twice for a balancing and i had them do it again (within a week) and it got even worse the second time. those bastards lol. i looked at the weights and for sure they took off some/all of the first balance weights and put on new ones, but they were in a completely different area. i was thinking wtf? cuz that would mean that it was more unbalanced one of the two times they did it.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
Those machines (even the cheaper ones) should at least give you enough "balance" up to 80mph, if you're starting to feel vibrations at 60-70mph, then it was a poor job (if it was even done).
i know mine were done every time cuz i see different weights in diff spots every time and it feels different every time. i just dont know if they did it right... damnit lol

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
damn, that sucks. well for sure discount tire did a much better job balancing my tires than just tires. but for some reason theyre still not balanced so maybe the road force balancing will help me. what are your thoughts on that? i'm gonna go tomorrow morning for it.

freakin, i went to just tires twice for a balancing and i had them do it again (within a week) and it got even worse the second time. those bastards lol. i looked at the weights and for sure they took off some/all of the first balance weights and put on new ones, but they were in a completely different area. i was thinking wtf? cuz that would mean that it was more unbalanced one of the two times they did it.
Oh no no, if they did it right then this is the route they'd take.

- Put your wheel on the machine
- See that it's not balanced
- Take off ALL the weights (the less weights on a wheel, the better and the more reliable)
- Re-balance

I've never heard of road force balancing, what is that?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts