Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a short video I made on the cutting process for those that are planning to install the markers themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbF_zXRgYA

Easier than I've anticipated. Approximately 25 minutes per fender using Dremel EZ-409 EZ Lock 1.5" Thin Cut cut-off wheel using the template made by lombard0. Only 1 disc was used to cut both fenders.

·
from 2004
3,690 Posts
Here's a short video I made on the cutting process for those that are planning to install the markers themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbF_zXRgYA

Easier than I've anticipated. Approximately 25 minutes per fender using Dremel EZ-409 EZ Lock 1.5" Thin Cut cut-off wheel using the template made by lombard0. Only 1 disc was used to cut both fenders.
Awesome! Always wanted to do this. With MI weather and school, I'll probably have to wait til May. Anyway, thank you for the video! :bow:

BTW, do you have a video for the wiring too? I'm not sure how to "run" the wires to the headlights and "tap" into the turn signals.

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wiring is easy, especially if you have an 02-04. You just need to tap into the wires coming out of your blinkers via T-taps (actually, you just need to tap into the GRN/YEL wire on the passenger-side turn signal and GRN/RED wire on the driver-side turn signal. The black wire you can ground onto the frame). I've already wired the passenger-side side marker (today during my lunch break, lol) but still need to wire the driver side because the way the 05-06 head lights are set up is a BITCH to get to the wires. Here's a pic of where I ran the wires from the side marker in the fender and out towards the head light:

It literally took 25 mins to cut each fender. You can use a smaller cut-off wheel for precision cutting, but make sure it's reinforced fiberglass.

·
from 2004
3,690 Posts
Wiring is easy, especially if you have an 02-04. You just need to tap into the wires coming out of your blinkers via T-taps (actually, you just need to tap into the GRN/YEL wire on the passenger-side turn signal and GRN/RED wire on the driver-side turn signal. The black wire you can ground onto the frame). I've already wired the passenger-side side marker (today during my lunch break, lol) but still need to wire the driver side because the way the 05-06 head lights are set up is a BITCH to get to the wires. Here's a pic of where I ran the wires from the side marker in the fender and out towards the head light:

It literally took 25 mins to cut each fender. You can use a smaller cut-off wheel for precision cutting, but make sure it's reinforced fiberglass.
Thanks for the pic! So I assume the black tube/wire is coming directly from the side marker itself and the yellow wires go all the way to the headlight? Another stupid question, where can you buy t-taps (Radioshack, Wal-Mart)? Also, would the side markers from PasswordJDM be easier to install because they come with "Wiring Harness (which I assume is what PasswordJDM makes for the USDM RSX)"? If PasswordJDM isn't the best place to get them, where would you recommend? Thanks again! :)

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the pic! So I assume the black tube/wire is coming directly from the side marker itself and the yellow wires go all the way to the headlight? Another stupid question, where can you buy t-taps (Radioshack, Wal-Mart)? Also, would the side markers from PasswordJDM be easier to install because they come with "Wiring Harness (which I assume is what PasswordJDM makes for the USDM RSX)"? If PasswordJDM isn't the best place to get them, where would you recommend? Thanks again! :)
Well, the yellow wire is from a custom plug I made to connect to the side marker plug without cutting it lol - but the idea's the same. Just pretend the gray plugs aren't there and the yellow wires are spliced to the GRN/YEL and BLK wire of the side marker. You can buy the t-taps almost anywhere; RadioShack, AutoZone, Wal-Mart, etc. where electronic components are sold:

Be sure to get one that's designed for 16-14 awg wire size. You can get the markers from PJDM with their own custom made harness. I personally got mine from ICB Motorsport. You can also get them from KamiSpeed too. Both these places sell them with OEM wiring harness:

You basically just peel apart the protective wire insulating loom from your turn signal and attach the T-Tap to the GRN/YEL wire (on the passenger-side) and GRN/RED wire (on the driver-side),

then connect the GRN/YEL wire from your side markers to the t-tap with a male quick disconnect, recommend 1/4" fully insulated ones for 16-14 awg wires, like this:

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey bro. Do you have a DIY install on how to do every thing to pit in the sidemarkers?
As in snapping the side marker into the hole? It's pretty simple, you can either start by squeezing the "pinch tab" and inserting the end with the tab first then push the side with the key notch for a clean snap, or you can insert the key notch side first and using a small flathead screwdriver, maneuver the pinch tab into its corresponding notch. It took me several tries 'cuz the hole I cut out was too small.

I also notice that in order to install the side markers flush to your fender without scraping too much of the plastic on the markers themselves, you need to sand off 4 tiny tabs on gray plastic housing; 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom part of the plastic. You'll see if you look at your side markers.

I wrote a quick DIY guide. Not sure if it will answer your question in detail though, lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Where are the measurements for where the sidemarker should be at? Also on a side note where do all of you guys get your sidemarkers? I can't seem to find them on this site or other places like ebay etc.

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Template? That is not my question. My question is the exact location of where to cut the hole. I do not see that information anywhere and I think this is very important information to imitate the JDM style sidemarkers. Anyone know the precise measurements? ie: 4.5 inches from fender liner. 5.5 inches from bottom. Thanks to whoever gets the answer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts