Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which is better to get ... Anyone here have some experience with these? I know truthfully and honestly that if thieves want ur car they will take it no matter what u have ... I just want something that will give me some piece of mind when I leave it somewhere ... I have a viper 5704 2 way alarm already with proximity sensor n some hidden kill switches..(also planning to add a tilt sensor and backup battery)..but I want something that's gonna help me if my car gets actually stolen ( god forbid)...I'm leaning towards the early warning system..but I heard some reviews that the early warning system works good but takes a while for it to send an email or call u .the viper one seems to have some good reviews too but there signal weakens in certain areas where as the lojack one doesnt.. It's sad to see that all ur hard earned money and sacrifices u make ur car they way it is get taken away in a manner of minutes ... My friend got his beefed up civic stolen and damn I gotta tell u I almost cried with him... Anyways any reviews about these two systems? Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
lojack is proven to work in the real world, you will probably have better luck checking caraudio.com or other car audio and security sites for comparisons as you will have a much wider source of people to draw on.

·
Registered
637 Posts
LoJack is only useful if your local police force has the equipment to track your car. If not, it's pretty much useless.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Doesn't all police cruisers have a tracking device that can track lojack or only a few of them have them?
No, the police force must purchase the tracking equipment from Lo-Jack, it does not broadcast a signal that can be picked up by any standard police equipment, such as 2-way FM radios, sirens, or shotguns.

As I said, the effectiveness of Lo-Jack's service is entirely dependent upon your local police force having the capability to track the car, unless Lo-Jack has invented some kind of GPS tracking system that doesn't require an external antenna, that somehow no one else has heard of. I asked a friend of mine whether our local police force (his employer) had it, and he answered that "no department in this area has it, that I am aware of."

In short, I would do some research before you buy. Alternatively, you could get a second line on your mobile plan for $10/mo or whatever, activate an iPhone on that line, and hide it somewhere in your car with a hardwired charger. If your car is stolen, the Find my iPhone app will lead you right to it! :laughing:

·
Hurm
751 Posts
Doesn't all police cruisers have a tracking device that can track lojack or only a few of them have them?
no, in fact depending on your area there may only be a few. police cruisers that can track lojack have a certain antenna arrangement. Four antennas making a square, about 12 inches apart. this is in addition to their standard radio and other antennas.

Lojack is designed for one thing, recovering the vehicle. If you live in a fairly large city there is a good chance it will be effective. The Early Warning system is a good one. they also use methods other then GPS.

The Viper systems are nice and accurate but they are more for personal tracking. Great for kids small fleets or a shady lady lol

You get more bang for your buck with the viper setup, you can get Alarm, Remote Start, with Smart Start, back up battery, tilt sensor, and prox sensor(i hate proxs everything else with a properly adjusted shock sensor are more then enough) for prob about $600 bucks if you can install it yourself or closer to $900-$1000 if you need the installation done professionally. Also consider window automation. you can have windows go up on lock and the ability to vent the windows for about $100.

The Lojack system will cost you about $1000 for an early warning with the warranty and everything, which you want because if the battery in lojack ever dies you will need a new system. But if your car goes missing and you want it back and it gets called in immediately. it does work.

The viper system will have a lot more features you will get more use out of. The lojack has one feature and you never want to have to use it.

btw I am a Alarm/remote start installer of about 10 years and was a lojack tech for 4 1/2 years.

·
Hurm
751 Posts
also if all you care about is tracking you can just the viper smart start GPS and install just that (no alarm or remote start attached) and you can all the gps tracking features. you would not have the lock/unlock, remote start and alarm alerts. but with the premium service plan you can use an "invisible fence" feature that will notify you if the car is moved from a location at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man!!!! That's the information I was looking for .. So I'm guessing now ima lean towards the viper GPS.. One question though so the viper GPS is like an app on ur phone right? It works on any smart phone? ... I already have the 2 way viper alarm so the locking and unlocking and basic stuff is covered...ill just purchase the smart start GPS .. Any idea on how much it would cost? With installation?

·
Hurm
751 Posts

·
Hurm
751 Posts
yeah that is the pirce of the VSM 250 that should include installation. you can get it cheaper then that on ebay if you are gonna install it yourself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh Na bro I have a friend that works in that stuff so he can install it .. I live in southern Cali dude I have all the bad tint laws and illegal cats converters stuff... Yea most likely ima purchase that GPS .. I just wanted something that would help me track my car as quickly as possible if it somehow gets stolen... My car is a daily driver and that's why I worry about tht stuff but I never leave my car far from me or out of my vision for long.... Any chance u would know how long or complicated the installation is

·
Hurm
751 Posts
yeah the smart start is really easy. it just needs power and ground and plugs into the bitwriter/data port on the alarm. the only prob is that you need to logon to directechs to activate it. if your friend has a directechs account then i would buy it off ebay to save some money and let him do it

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you were to get the whole viper alarm with 2 way remote etc etc, which one would you recommend? I know there a different versions. Also if you were on playin the remote starter then you'll have to bypass the immobilizer and would that kind of defeat the purpose?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts