Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ya'll,
so recently i took my car into the dealer because my oil levels kept dropping really fast everytime i went to get an oil change and i wasnt leaking and they didnt think my valves were leaking oil either. so they checked and they said my vtec solenoid malfunctioned and that it will cost 485 to replace it. i did a search and found some useful information but my question is why does the vtec solenoid malfunction (im stock)? is it with time (im only at 55k miles)? or something else....or is the dealer simply blaming the oil disappearance on the vtec solenoid and just being too lazy to check the valves (as in could the vtec solenoid be responsible for such large amount of oil loss)? i used to be modded (simple bolt ons) but ive been stock for 2 years now, so that doesnt seem to be related.

im just really frustrated that i have to fork over 500 dollars for this repair, and hope that the vtec solenoid doesnt go out every 50k miles and that i have to spend money to replace it again. thanks for reading :p

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,225 Posts
You either leak oil or burn it. If the VTEC solenoid is faulty, it's a $150 part for the whole assembly. It's a 20 minute job to unscrew the old assembly and install the new one. I'd be looking somewhere else.

·
American HP!!
25,610 Posts
You either leak oil or burn it. If the VTEC solenoid is faulty, it's a $150 part for the whole assembly. It's a 20 minute job to unscrew the old assembly and install the new one. I'd be looking somewhere else.
:iamwiths:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
burniung

well, a little too late, dealer is ripping me off. but my question is, can the vtec solenoid be responsible for "burning" or "leaking" of the oil? i mean, what does it specifically do (turn on/off vtec) that would consume oil?

·
9,225 Posts
The only way the solenoid will cause oil to disappear is if the gasket/filter that mates the assembly to the head is leaking. I think that part is worth about 5 bucks. More likely that the valve cover gasket is leaking.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Your dealership is bullshitting you. The VTEC solenoid is a $98 part and a 20-minute install. It's three bolts, that's all. It's a brick sized assembly that oil rushes through, and when pressure gets high enough (at high RPMS) it triggers VTEC.

And no way in hell can it be responsible for losing that much oil. Like someone said, if the valve cover gasket is leaking it's an easy, cheap fix (either the gasket or the whole assembly will cost you less than $100 dollars).

Your problem must lie elsewhere, most likely the common oil burning problem people have. Whatever you do give your dealership the middle finger

·
9,225 Posts
I'd like to see the reason from the dealer as to how mechanically this particular part is causing your oil loss and how replacing it will fix the problem. If this is legit (doubtful), this would be valuable info to the club.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Vtec solenoid will cause your engine to use tons of oil if it is faulty! I changed mine and my car doesn't use any oil and before I was adding oil every couple weeks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
so i guess the dealer is lying to me? great. :mad:
How about instead of posting on an anonymous forum and getting your e-hard rage on against your dealer..

You simply ask them how this part could be causing your oil consumption. And you can reference your knowledge of the system clarifying that you are not convinced this part is the issue. The dealer is made up of people with brains - it's ok to talk with them! Especially when they are charging you $500 to do it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Currently, I also have this same issue.. last week I had to add up oil in my engine and yesterday I needed to add more oil coz it was below the recommended level right on the dipstick (between those two holes) I already changed the valve cover gasket last year, so far there are no leaks underneath so do u think my car is burning oil? or do I need to change the solenoid and do it myself? just want more inputs

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bump on this thread..

I too recently had my valve cover gasket changed and my car continues to burn oil while in vtec. If I don't go into vtec however, I don't seem to be burning any oil :dontknow: could the solenoid really be the problem??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts