Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone out there tell me what the difference between VTECH and iVTECH is? My buddy's got a Prelude with VTECH. It kicks in about 5800rpm and just goes. Is there more technology involved with a IVTECH engine? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SUPERCHARGED JETTA said:
Can someone out there tell me what the difference between VTECH and iVTECH is? My buddy's got a Prelude with VTECH. It kicks in about 5800rpm and just goes. Is there more technology involved with a IVTECH engine? Thanks!
Preludes with built-in cordless phones!
Couldn't resist...

Anyway, I haven't driven in a car with VTEC.. just I-VTEC... is the "boost" feeling about the same between the two? Is one a bit harsher than the other?

· Speedy
1,171 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheSilverBullet said:
all i-vtec's are not the same. the type-s's i-vtec is different than the base rsx and civic si and crv.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=39456&highlight=ivtec
Well yeah.. I realize that all i-vtec's arent the same. I almost got an Integra-Type R before I got the RSX-S (and if I found a good deal on a stock one today, would probably get it). Is there much of a difference between those as far as how they feel/sound when V-TEC/I-VTEC kicks in?

· for me to poop on!
720 Posts
Here is my $.02 explaination:

In VTEC when the engine reaches a preset RPM level higher profile cams lobes engage and allow a longer and deeper valve movement. This allows more air/gas to be burned per revolution, hence more power. iVTEC combines the concept of VTC with VTEC. VTC allows the timing of the intake and exhaust valves to constantly be adjusted to maximize torque across a large RPM range.

Check out Autozine Technical School for a more detailed explaination.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info... does anyone have any dynos of a stock type S? I'd really like to see the power band, especially around 5k to redline...

· for me to poop on!
720 Posts
SUPERCHARGED JETTA said:
Thanks for the info... does anyone have any dynos of a stock type S? I'd really like to see the power band, especially around 5k to redline...
They are everywhere. They have 'em in the clubrsx site, some online magazines, and all over these boards. Most people get between 163-174 whp depending on conditions, dynojet, etc.

· Registered
326 Posts
Vtec= LIft and duration of the valves at a set RPM.
The car drives on a lower(emission//econimy) cam profile at lower rmps and when Vtec is engaged it switch to a highperformance Cam profile making the valves open more and for longer.
it is simply a regular cam has 1 lobe per valve. the use all time
the vtec has 2. the middle lobe is used by 2 valves when vtec kicks in

The i in vtec Adjust the cam timing the advance and retard. think of it as a cam pulley like on the prelude to get 15/-15 timing you have to buy camshaftpulleys and set them on a dyno to get the most out of the engine right. well on the i-vtec its 50/-50 and its controll by CPU so its adjust constant while driving. It is more of a emission Issue than performance but in America where the emission on imported cars are so strick Honda and othe companies just got away with it again/ the BMW M3 had i-vtec before RSX just call different and the mechanincs are somewhat different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.