Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season open final qualifying at Austrailia. Not like I didn't expect it, but guess who is back on top, again. Schumacher yet again is sitting on the pole .245 seconds ahead of the next fastest racer, ...duh duh duh, Barricello.

The boring part is that these are their old Ferraris from last season. Later on this season they're supposed to bring in the 2003 model with a lower COG and a few other things.

The only fun part of watching F1 anymore is listening to the engines and seeing who scraps for the last podium spot, but I'll be by the tube every chance I get :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a good race for once, oh how qualifying didn't turn out how the race went. I hope the season is like this last race.

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
All that talk at the end of last year on what their going to do to slow the Ferrari's down, but no action. Michael would have won that race easily if he didn't have the extra stop. Barricello (sp?) is a great racer, but the #2 car seem to shaft him quite a bit.

Mclaren looks to be back in it after a decent finish to last season. They could have a good battle with Williams. (segway) The problem with Williams is that they have two #1 drivers and should treat Juan like so. It's odd that both Juan and Ralf usually have completely opposite weekends, where one does good the other does bad. I don't get it.

I hope Michelin made some decent quality tires this year :rolleyes:

:wavey:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You routing for anyone in particular? They all seem like good drivers to me, but something in me wants Ferrari to come second to anther team. BAR maybe? The last team to stick with the Honda engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The problem w/ Montoya is that he doesn't know his role... F1 is about teams. He has yet to display a team attitude. More than once has he taken out his own teamate. That being said, I like Montoya, and he's definatley a force and will be... Personally, I'm a BMW-Williams guy myself, so don't take it the wrong way :) I think this season has some surprises in store for us all, but in the end "Will Ferrari dominate?" Yes. BAR... would be a nice change but i think it's a loooooong shot =P BMW! ;)

Schumacher is the best driver to hit F1 since Ayrton Senna. He's got the right car and the skeelz to go with it. I think he'll overcome this hump and prove to still be a dominate force despite Australia's performance.

Got my tickets for Indy...Anyone else?

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
CFar said:
You routing for anyone in particular? They all seem like good drivers to me, but something in me wants Ferrari to come second to anther team. BAR maybe? The last team to stick with the Honda engine.
I'd love to see Jacques Villeneuve do well this year, but unfortunately I don't really think he/they have a chance.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think there will only really be 3 teams playing again this year. I don't dislike Ferrari, but their domination ruins the point of racing. I don't blame them for being fast, but it's just not as fun to watch/follow. Even the camera guys now don't just follow the leader, they follow the chase - which is usually a tight 2 or 3 car battle a few spots back.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MrStylz said:
Yes. BAR... would be a nice change but i think it's a loooooong shot =P BMW! ;)

Got my tickets for Indy...Anyone else?
Youre telling me, I like to be on the side of the underdog.

How much were the tickets?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ya, it would be nice to see villanueve do good this year. He could easily win and do much better with a different team, but he continues to stay. You gotta respect a guy that stays loyal to a team even though they aren't doing great. I've followed him since his CART days and I just wanna see him do good again...we all know he has it in him, he just needs the car/team to do it.

I believe the tickets were around 75 or 80 bucks for race day and saturday was around 20 at the gate. It's gonna be a good time again I'm sure. I'm lookin foward to seein how things pan out by that time.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From looking at the seating charts it looks like that first turn would let you see a lot of the race, is it the best seat?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am jumping into this a bit late....I have been routing for Ferrari when they were going full seasons without a win or even good finish.Barricello started last year the same way.Maybe he is testing new components?

Favorite underdog...The Jordan team.There cars are beautiful and I have seen a few programs on Eddie Jordan he seems like a guy who is in it for the love of the sport.To bad he isn't using Honda engines anymore:(

Got my tickets for June 13,14,15 for the Canadian Grand prix anyone else going?

·
Registered
245 Posts
CFar said:
From looking at the seating charts it looks like that first turn would let you see a lot of the race, is it the best seat?
Ya, definitely...but they are hard to get. You can see the entire back stretch almost and all of the turns there. We are actually sitting there this year (Stand H if I remember right). Someone won tickets last year, so we were in the paddock seats which sucked but was still worth every (free) penny. Anyway, when we were in the stands on saturday watching the other races/qual/practice, that was by far the best place to sit.

There are a ton of really nice places along the fences to sit/stand and watch though, but not really recommended for sunday b/c of the huge crowd. They have some decent mounds along the back straight that give a good view too.

The way they work the seating is that if you had a ticket the year before, you can "upgrade" to a better location. So basically, if you were there for 3 years in a row, you'll have the best seats. Your first year, you may not be able to get great seats, but the next year you'll have better odds. First come first serve based on "senoirity" is basically what it comes down to. If you want tickets, it shouldn't be a problem getting them, but it *may* be tough to get great ones the first year. Still early on, so you could get some good seats too, I just couldn't tell ya for sure.

You just have to love the crowd at these events too...people fly in from all their respective countries...and they are crazy! I'm gettin pumped up just talking about it, I can't wait to hear those engines screaming at 18,000 rpm!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
First of all, it's "rooting," not "routing." Routing means an ass whoopin. Anyway, Villeneuve will never amount to anything again in F1. His BAR is a slug. And don't be fooled into thinking he's loyal to anyone. He stays at BAR cause no other top team will take an over the hill driver. He's past his prime, and younger, faster, cheaper drivers are to be had. Expect to see him go back to CART. As for Schuie, I personally think he's a prick. Ever since he tried that 11th hour pick move on Villeneuve back when Jacque won his only world championship with Williams, I've thought he lacks the character of a real champion. As far as him being the best driver currently in F1 (or ever), I say bull shit to that too. The real reason he wins is he consistently has the best car. Put ANYONE in his Ferrari, with the team focused on that person as number one, and that person is world champion, and Schuie is not. If he's so great, put him in an Arrows and lets see how fast he is. And save me the statistics crap. If Senna was alive, Schiue would not be the winningest driver ever and he would not have 5 world championships. Senna's death facilitated Schuies success. As far as driving talent, my nod goes to Montoya. Look at his qualifying efforts last season. As for who I'd like to see as the next dominator, I like Montoya, but I also happen to like the wee DaMatta. If Toyota get's up to speed, and Christiano gets comfy, expect him and Juan Pablo to be the next Senna/Prost. Raikonen is fast too, but have you heard this kid talk? Is he even awake? He's a puss, and not Championship material. Schuie won't win another World Championship, Reubins and David will never win one at all, and JP and Christiano will carry the show in the future. Watch and see.

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
Interesting.
Villeneuve - could be good (again) but we'll never know with BAR.
M. Schumacher - Sure he's got the best car, but the car is far from the end all. Reubins is a fantastic driver with the 2nd best car, yet doesn't do close to as well. You could play a lot of "what ifs" but Michael is one of the best.
Montoya - has a lot of potential, but isn't there yet. He makes a lot of mistakes when being hunted down from behind. Experience should change this, but spining out in 1st place with perfect tires last weekend cost him the race.
DaMatta - Maybe. Cart to F1 can be very different. We'll see, hopefully he can do well.
McLaren has a quality team. I'm thinking they might spice things up a bit this year. I don't see 1st place, but solid contenders in many different races.

Can't wait for next race. If the Ferrari's don't dominate, it could be an incredibly exciting season.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Silver Mule said:
First of all, it's "rooting," not "routing."
Whatever:rolleyes:

I agree Schumacher is in one of the best cars but he helped the engineers create that car, it wasn't just handed to him.

Villeneuve could win again.Not likely in a BAR.He seems to have lost the drive to succeed and is comfortable in the top 10(if he is lucky)

I like Montoya's aggression it makes for some good racing,unfortunately it get's him in trouble.

I still think Ralf Schumacher has potential.

I think red will make it back on the box this weekend

vive la Ferrari:)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
not your Type said:

M. Schumacher - Sure he's got the best car, but the car is far from the end all. Reubins is a fantastic driver with the 2nd best car, yet doesn't do close to as well. You could play a lot of "what ifs" but Michael is one of the best.

Can you say "team orders?" That, and the fact that Ferrari has specifically built it's entire program around Schumacher (the car itself, the team, everything to Mikies specs) is the reason Barichello is not as dominant. He's stuck with another man's car and another man's team. Think back to when Eddie Irvine was at Ferrari and Schuie broke his leg. Eddie INSTANTLY became the dominant driver in F1. Had Schuie not already absorbed so many points early on, Eddie probably would have been world champ. Why was he an also ran before Mikies broken leg, and so dominant after? Because with Mikie out, Eddie became number one at Ferrari. And if you are number one at Ferrari, you are number one in F1. The last name of Schumacher is irrelevant. For the last several years, it has been Scuderia Ferrari that DECIDED who was going to be champ, not Schuie's talent. I know that's a lot of speculation and "what if's," as you say. But Reubins never has had chance and never will, as long as he is at Ferrari as number two under Schuie. I'm not saying Schuie isn't a great driver. He is. But his greatness is primarilly due to his ride. I say he has many equals in F1 right now. And probably some better. But you simply haven't seen them recently because the TEAM and CAR of Ferrari has simply out classed everyone else. But I truely feel that the dominance is over. At least I really, really, really hope so. Australia was the best F1 race I have seen since the cars got skinny and the tires got grooves.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hopefully all the new rule changes will even out the sport a bit.

I agree with you Silver Mule,there are allot of talented drivers who never get to shine because of the limited budgets.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Silver Mule said:
Australia was the best F1 race I have seen since the cars got skinny and the tires got grooves.
That's the only thing I really agree totally agree with you on. And I'm sure my girlfriend understands trying to get to sleep while I'm pinned on the television througout the entire race :)

Though I do think Schumacher is still the best driver regardless. I don't say that because I want him to win, I don't, but he has experience none of the other drivers have at the front. It's beyond car control and into the psychology of what it is to be a winner. He has the best team without a doubt, but driving in the front for so long teaches important things. As for knowing what it's like in the back, he's been there too. Overall, he has the best all around experience in the sport.

I think seeing Montoyas qualifying last season, he has awesome car control, but I think he lacks the experience to maintain that performance all day. He is rarely ever alone in a race. As long as Michael is in the sport, with the support of Ferrari, dare I say he'll have control until he steps down? And with the new car coming out later this season, they'll pick up the pace again.

What I want to see though are races throughout the season that look like Austrailia. Keep us guessing until the end.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.