Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Master Mechanic/Tuner
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walbro 255lph INSTALL...stock fpr

I decided to post pics for you guys thinking about upgrading your fuel pump. Have the helms manual ready as i didnt go through all the steps of removal, i just went through the actual installation itself.
Like i said for more detail use the rsx service manual or refer to wdsonny's post on the install http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...lbro+fuel+pump
I followed his post thoroughly but the only thing i did different was i didnt dremel ANYTHING, i only made three cuts and that was done using a razor blade. Also i re-routed the fuel line coming from the actual pump because of seal issues. I think sonny used a different pump, the one not sold on this site, but it was still a walbro. This method i used is similar to the one that was used on hardcorersxs car which was done by kickinit.

Me (palmerblock), wdsonny, kickinit, nor hardcorersxs is not responsible if you mess up your car

The fitting laying next to the pump assemby, cut that off which i already did as you can see in the pic, also re-use the stock filter, if its too dirty buy a new one from your local acura dealer, dont use the one that comes with the new pump, it just doesnt fit right in the housing. Use zip ties accordingly like in the picture. Also after you put the filter back on, put the lock washer back on the back of the pump in addition to using the zip ties. The lock washer goes on the back side of the pump which is on the right side of the picture and cannot be seen at this angle, but you will know what im talking about when you have yours in your hand. Refer to wdsonny's post, the link is above This is the first cut i made

Here it is at another angle, as you can see that top piece is cut off, you will see what for later. The main reason was because i couldnt get a good seal with it. Use zip ties accordingly.

The hose that is missing from that nipple needs to be removed as it will not be used, you'll see why in later pics. Notice the position of the fuel pump assembly in the picture versus yours before you go to remove it. I used a razor blade to remove it cuz it was basically locked on there. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT YOURSELF OR WIRES.

Here is the hose removed

Get a long fuel line and attach it here on the new pump and clamp it down, do not cut yet, you will do that later once you put everything together

·
Master Mechanic/Tuner
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Look at what im holding, look right next to my pinky finger, cut a hole there exactly like that, you will see why in later pics. This is the second cut i made

put the pump assemly in, put the tabs slits back in there same stock location, they will bend inwards since this pump is longer than the stock one, dont worry its ok. Also look at this pic. Look next to where the hose comes out on the upper left side of the pic. Later on in the installation when you go to put the top cover back on, you will see that it hits on the right side of the assembly towards the front, which also happens to be the top portion of this picture, next to the hose, and no, dont get me wrong, the hose is not the problem. You will need to cut a slit on the top portion of the cover that covers that area that hits in order for it to fit properly. SORRY I DIDNT TAKE A PICTUE BEFORE I PUT THE PUMP BACK IN, BUT YOU WILL SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT, ITS VERY EASY. IF YOU GOTTEN THIS FAR, YOU SHOUDLN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU GET TO THIS STEP WHICH IS NOT PICTURED. The reason why it is, is because the pump sits closer to the walls of the housing since it is longer. On the top cover, it comes down, and that is where you will need to cut. On the stock pump it didnt come this close to where the top cover comes down, thats why it fitted perfectly. Also this is the third and final cut i made

now you see why i cut that slit in the bottom housing

LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS PIC. now it is time to cut the fuel line after you route it around to that nipple that you cut the stock line off of. Once you test fit it, cut it, attach it and use a clamp for piece of mind. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the clamp as you dont want to crack the plastic the hose slides onto. Just tighten it enough to where it holds firm

Here is another pic of what im talkin about with the routing procedure, hose, and the clamp. ALSO, look at where those wires are coming out, that is where i made my third cut so the top cover could sit correctly as mentioned above

Here is your finshed product

Lastly, when your putting this crap back in your tank, be careful of the float. Here is how i put it in since i modified the stock fuel line and it runs on the outside of the pump assembly
When you first pulled this assembly out of the tank, you will notice that the assembly rotates to a straight position to make removal easy, this will not be the case when you put it back in because of the modified fuel line and it will prevent it from getting straight again. You will have to turn the pump all kind on funky ways to get it in, LOL, but it is easy, dont fear, it took me a total of one minute to get this sucker in because of the different approach i had to take to get it in and and because i was gong slow. FYI, once this sucker is in it, sits like a "L", not straight, it only gets straight when you removed it for ease of removal, and as you can see, it returns to its "L" shape once removed.
First get the float in, then start sitting the rest in. Now do the rest slow and it will slide in like butter. You will find you dont have complete movement of the whole pump assembly since the line runs on the outside and the line hits that U-bar. look at the pics above to see what im talkin bout. all you have to do is wiggle, manuver and push slowly and gently and the pump will slide in, for the rest refer to wdsonny's post, the link is above

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,414 Posts
Yeah, I used this for my walbro install -- I can't imagine doing it without it. Holy crap mega helps. The part about running new fuel line saved me a day of waiting as I wouldn't have discovered the worthlessness of the oem line until it was too late as the install took forever. I happen to have a dremel tool as well and the sanding drum is king for most of the operations except where I used some wire nips to snip off small plastic pieces.

·
ThE FiRst 05 TuRbO
645 Posts
????? Fpr ?????

ok now post pics of how to setup an aem fpr on a rsx, i know how to on a 92-95 civic.... but i guees the stock fpr is in the fuel tank???? need help

·
Registered
16,670 Posts

·
spicy
4,933 Posts
I found daniels thread to be the most useful...
I did not cut the housing like he did using a razor i found it a bit difficult and rather dangerous so I took the dremel to it. install was very straight forward, and not very difficult at all other than finding a freaking place that had fuel line in stock.

The only thing I was semi concerned about post install is my dumbass not washing off the housing after i dremeled a million pieces of plastic everywhere.

·
glory to the hypnotoad
6,414 Posts
By the way --- I just installed a walbro in my friends rsx the same way I installed mine -- with the new fuel line as palmerblock suggests, and we did the whole install and test with less than 1/8th of a tank of gas in the tank. For those who say you cannot run below 1/4th a tank of gas... you're doing something wrong.

Oh, and once again, using the dremel with the sanding drum for the passage for the fuel line and clearance of the top piece that covers the pump made it nice and smooth -- plus you don't risk cracking the plastic, which is very easy to crack when using snips or a razor.

Wayne

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
doesnt work

http://www.customdc5.com/tech/walbro (down right now but has 99.6% up time)
Well.. the pics are there lol, but the damn thing won't let me access root directories anymore; I think it's some new security thing or something like that... but if they are needed I can totally link them... maybe I'll do that just in case Daniel's links die again.

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
I decided to post pics for you guys thinking about upgrading your fuel pump. Have the helms manual ready as i didnt go through all the steps of removal, i just went through the actual installation itself.
Like i said for more detail use the rsx service manual or refer to wdsonny's post on the install http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...lbro+fuel+pump
I followed his post thoroughly but the only thing i did different was i didnt dremel ANYTHING, i only made three cuts and that was done using a razor blade. Also i re-routed the fuel line coming from the actual pump because of seal issues. I think sonny used a different pump, the one not sold on this site, but it was still a walbro. This method i used is similar to the one that was used on hardcorersxs car which was done by kickinit.

Me (palmerblock), wdsonny, kickinit, nor hardcorersxs is not responsible if you mess up your car

The fitting laying next to the pump assemby, cut that off which i already did as you can see in the pic, also re-use the stock filter, if its too dirty buy a new one from your local acura dealer, dont use the one that comes with the new pump, it just doesnt fit right in the housing. Use zip ties accordingly like in the picture. Also after you put the filter back on, put the lock washer back on the back of the pump in addition to using the zip ties. The lock washer goes on the back side of the pump which is on the right side of the picture and cannot be seen at this angle, but you will know what im talking about when you have yours in your hand. Refer to wdsonny's post, the link is above This is the first cut i made

Here it is at another angle, as you can see that top piece is cut off, you will see what for later. The main reason was because i couldnt get a good seal with it. Use zip ties accordingly.

The hose that is missing from that nipple needs to be removed as it will not be used, you'll see why in later pics. Notice the position of the fuel pump assembly in the picture versus yours before you go to remove it. I used a razor blade to remove it cuz it was basically locked on there. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT YOURSELF OR WIRES.

Here is the hose removed

Get a long fuel line and attach it here on the new pump and clamp it down, do not cut yet, you will do that later once you put everything together
First one hosted on my site.

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
Look at what im holding, look right next to my pinky finger, cut a hole there exactly like that, you will see why in later pics. This is the second cut i made

put the pump assemly in, put the tabs slits back in there same stock location, they will bend inwards since this pump is longer than the stock one, dont worry its ok. Also look at this pic. Look next to where the hose comes out on the upper left side of the pic. Later on in the installation when you go to put the top cover back on, you will see that it hits on the right side of the assembly towards the front, which also happens to be the top portion of this picture, next to the hose, and no, dont get me wrong, the hose is not the problem. You will need to cut a slit on the top portion of the cover that covers that area that hits in order for it to fit properly. SORRY I DIDNT TAKE A PICTUE BEFORE I PUT THE PUMP BACK IN, BUT YOU WILL SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT, ITS VERY EASY. IF YOU GOTTEN THIS FAR, YOU SHOUDLN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN YOU GET TO THIS STEP WHICH IS NOT PICTURED. The reason why it is, is because the pump sits closer to the walls of the housing since it is longer. On the top cover, it comes down, and that is where you will need to cut. On the stock pump it didnt come this close to where the top cover comes down, thats why it fitted perfectly. Also this is the third and final cut i made

now you see why i cut that slit in the bottom housing

LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS PIC. now it is time to cut the fuel line after you route it around to that nipple that you cut the stock line off of. Once you test fit it, cut it, attach it and use a clamp for piece of mind. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the clamp as you dont want to crack the plastic the hose slides onto. Just tighten it enough to where it holds firm

Here is another pic of what im talkin about with the routing procedure, hose, and the clamp. ALSO, look at where those wires are coming out, that is where i made my third cut so the top cover could sit correctly as mentioned above

Here is your finshed product

Lastly, when your putting this crap back in your tank, be careful of the float. Here is how i put it in since i modified the stock fuel line and it runs on the outside of the pump assembly
When you first pulled this assembly out of the tank, you will notice that the assembly rotates to a straight position to make removal easy, this will not be the case when you put it back in because of the modified fuel line and it will prevent it from getting straight again. You will have to turn the pump all kind on funky ways to get it in, LOL, but it is easy, dont fear, it took me a total of one minute to get this sucker in because of the different approach i had to take to get it in and and because i was gong slow. FYI, once this sucker is in it, sits like a "L", not straight, it only gets straight when you removed it for ease of removal, and as you can see, it returns to its "L" shape once removed.
First get the float in, then start sitting the rest in. Now do the rest slow and it will slide in like butter. You will find you dont have complete movement of the whole pump assembly since the line runs on the outside and the line hits that U-bar. look at the pics above to see what im talkin bout. all you have to do is wiggle, manuver and push slowly and gently and the pump will slide in, for the rest refer to wdsonny's post, the link is above
Second part hosted on my site.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.