Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 month old AEM CAI that I'd like to trade for a short ram intake. I'd like to trade w/someone in the area (Philly) so we could do a swap on a weekend. I'm far from mechanically inclined so whoever is willing to do the trade will have to do most of the work. :) Any takers? If not, I'll be going back to my stock air box and will be posting the AEM for sale.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Xplicit said:
who cares about hydrolocking? it's all about getting that extra 3 HP. just leave it on.
Wow, if you hydrolock your engine that 3hp wont matter. :spam: I live in an area that has quite a good amount of flooding and I have no worries about my AEM CAI. The main thing is that you don't drive through big puddles and you will be absolutly fine. Keep in mind you have to completely submerge the filter of your intake to hydrolock. If you are really worried about it, you could try something like the bypass valve. It really is up to you. If I was in your position and I was set on an SRI, I would buy the AEM V2 instead of a normal SRI. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
true, but the V2 on teh base only makes 5 hp accordign to AEM, if they're quoting taht low, just think how low it really is.

btw, haven't been able to find dyno's for these, so what's the hp gain for INjen and AEM CAI's?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent198 said:
Wow, if you hydrolock your engine that 3hp wont matter. :spam: I live in an area that has quite a good amount of flooding and I have no worries about my AEM CAI. The main thing is that you don't drive through big puddles and you will be absolutly fine. Keep in mind you have to completely submerge the filter of your intake to hydrolock. If you are really worried about it, you could try something like the bypass valve. It really is up to you. If I was in your position and I was set on an SRI, I would buy the AEM V2 instead of a normal SRI. Good luck!
No offense, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Here is a little story for all those "don't worry about hydro locking" owners. I was going to post this elsewhere, but it fits here just fine. Yesterday we had a day of rain and warm temps so there was quite a bit of water on the roads. I usually don't even care about my CAI (in fact, it never even crosses my mind). I took the main roads home and then dipped off onto one of my favorite back roads. That is when things began to get a little worse. The back road was twice as wet as the main roads (to be expected), but again there were not any puddles. Then I came to a spot in the road that had about 2 feet of flood water. Of course I didn't drive through, I just turned around and headed back the way that I came. All of a sudden my car started shaking violently and making some very strange noises. It literally felt like my car was shaking apart. This continued and got worse as I hit the gas pedal. I drove it like that for about 1 - 2 min. until I came to a light. At that point I put it in neutral and revved, things seemed perfectly fine. Again this AM when I got into the car and started it everything seemed fine. My question is if hydro lock is so "impossible to get unless submerged", what happened to my car? Is it possible to get partial hydro lock? Tell you what, that CAI is coming off my car immediately and I don't give a crap if I lose 100hp. Better than losing an entire engine.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Yeah, I have read that story before. As I said in my previous post, do what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No, you can't partially hydrolock, but only because of semantics. Hydrolock is the full-blown deal. You can certainly ingest lesser amounts of water that don't cause hydrolock, but can still damage the engine and cause the symptoms that you've described.

Very small amounts of water in the intake charge is actually good for the engine. A common method to clean out carbon deposits is to feed a small amount of water into a vacuum line.

Moderate amounts of water will cause the shaking that you've described and can possibly be damaging.

Large amounts of water will cause hydrolock and major damage.

It'd be a good idea to get a leakdown and compression check, just in case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a compression check and it reads "130 psi per cyl......good", not sure if that is considered normal for a base. Everything checked out a-ok.

·
Banned
6,418 Posts
Spent198 said:
dude, can you not feel my sarcasm running thru your veins? :thumbsdow

I was saying in respect to all those ricers out there geez. give me a kit kat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Xplicit said:
dude, can you not feel my sarcasm running thru your veins? :thumbsdow

I was saying in respect to all those ricers out there geez. give me a kit kat.

haha now thats funny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts