Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, bluntly put, money isn't really an issue, although I know it can get $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I haven't seen any discussions about big money big numbers all motor builds, so I'm gonna throw it out there.

I want to know if it's even feasble to build an all motor car that can get anywhere in the low12-high13 range for the 1/4.

Me personally, I don't like boost, never have and never will unless it's the TT setup in the new BMW N54 engine. But, I love everything about the RSX and won't give it up for ANY other car.

Since my newest 06 got stolen (have an 03 and the 06), I am about to buy another 06. My only issue with the S is POWER, and I can see myself putting $10-15k into the engine bay (not counting suspension, wheels, whatever) to make it move like I want it to.

Is it even feasble to build this while maintaining the power delivery smoothness and friendlier maintainence? I do not want to deal with FI, but I will start considering it if I find out I need $20k to do what a turbo could do for $6k, for example.

Not opposed to any ideas, such as the stroker kit, high revving K24/20 frank, whatever. Also, a great, no, EXCELLENT, builder will be doing the work, so I would need to find one. So far I'm leaning towards Evans if I can get a good plan together and they're willing to put in the wrench/formulating time to flesh out the details and make it happen.

I love the car so much I'd throw the $20-30k into making it RorAWD, but since I haven't seen it successfully done yet, it's a risk I don't want to take. Yes, some people will say that's stupid, but it's the only car that fits me and the wife 100%, nothing else does.

Again, money is not the issue unless I get to where it's just stupid compared to an FI setup. Thanks!

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,239 Posts
you don't need to build the motor to get into the low-mid 13 second range.

intake, high quality race header and exhaust, stage 2 cams and valve train, k-pro, good tune, sticky tires and good driving will get you there. under 13 seconds will probably mean motor work.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I went 13.90 on stock tires with a cai, rbc manifold, k-pro, and motor mounts of course. It really takes alot less than what people think to get these cars into the 13's. You can have the baddest engine on earth, if you cant drive, it wont be fast.

Reactions: jinusean

·
Bańned
12,108 Posts
Again, money is not the issue unless I get to where it's just stupid compared to an FI setup. Thanks!
youre better off going with any sort of fi setup for what youre thinking and im assuming you meant high 12s or low 13s becasue the range you stated is huge. like everyone else is going to tell you, if you have that much money to blow then work on a different platform.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Honestly for what your looking for, id just supercharge it. That will net high 12's - low 13's all day, without nitrous.

G

·
....I want to know if it's even feasble to build an all motor car that can get anywhere in the low12-high13 range for the 1/4....I can see myself putting $10-15k into the engine bay (not counting suspension, wheels, whatever) to make it move like I want it to....
If I was going to put $10-$15K into my engine, then that motherfucker better put me into the 11's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't like any other platform, period.

No other car gives me the comfort, practicality, style, range of driver size, interior layout, and overall feel as this one. NO other platform is an option without going for a 100% custom one-off car.

Also, I'm not a weekend Englishtown regular, and I don't want to be a hard driving street racer to get in that range. I specified a broad range to get broad ideas.

For example, a C6 Z06 can hit anywhere in the 13s without trying and anywhere in the 12s with some effort. It's only when you're driving like you're on a closed track with your concentration on the car that you hit the mid 11s it's capable of.

I do not like even the slightest hint of turbo lag, and I absolutely despise maintaining a turbo car. I would buy the BMW 135i or 335i, but again, I'd be buying it for the power only. The S is the platform I want to use. I even shifted thoughts to an S2K and a Lotus Exige and an STI/Evo, none of which satisfied me in the mentioned ways (comfort, practicality, style, range of driver size, etc etc etc).

I considered SC, and I am waiting for Redshift's twin screw to do that. But again, the maintainence of an all motor NO FI build is what I was going for. SC adds some minimal things, but it's still more that needs to be considered.

Some people just know what they like and don't care about the price tag to get it. That's my dream S for me.

So who's with me? Cuz I want to do this.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't like any other platform, period.

No other car gives me the comfort, practicality, style, range of driver size, interior layout, and overall feel as this one. NO other platform is an option without going for a 100% custom one-off car.

Also, I'm not a weekend Englishtown regular, and I don't want to be a hard driving street racer to get in that range. I specified a broad range to get broad ideas.

For example, a C6 Z06 can hit anywhere in the 13s without trying and anywhere in the 12s with some effort. It's only when you're driving like you're on a closed track with your concentration on the car that you hit the mid 11s it's capable of.

I do not like even the slightest hint of turbo lag, and I absolutely despise maintaining a turbo car. I would buy the BMW 135i or 335i, but again, I'd be buying it for the power only. The S is the platform I want to use. I even shifted thoughts to an S2K and a Lotus Exige and an STI/Evo, none of which satisfied me in the mentioned ways (comfort, practicality, style, range of driver size, etc etc etc).

I considered SC, and I am waiting for Redshift's twin screw to do that. But again, the maintainence of an all motor NO FI build is what I was going for. SC adds some minimal things, but it's still more that needs to be considered.

Some people just know what they like and don't care about the price tag to get it. That's my dream S for me.

So who's with me? Cuz I want to do this.
Generally speaking, to have a fast naturally aspirated engine, your going to have to be a "hard driving street racer". Its like Eric said, this is like a fantasy engine.

Not to mention your wife will be driving it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
i say just do I/RH/E, stage 2 cams,valve train,rbc mani,IMG,k pro,motor mounts, and LSD...supercharging is really the answer to your question though,so if you have not rode in a sc type-s I suggest you try to, because you may change your mind

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Generally speaking, to have a fast naturally aspirated engine, your going to have to be a "hard driving street racer". As you say. Its like Eric said, this is like a fantasy engine.

Not to mention your wife will be driving it.
HondaTom, what I meant by that is, I'm not going to sit on a strip trying to squeeze every 10th out of every run. It's a DD and I guarantee you it'll never see a strip. I won't know what it clocks, but I'll know if I like how it feels.

But, let's go back to me being one. Less "can't do"s, more "can do"s.

The power is for me, she thinks it's fast enough as it is. She gets 40MPG when she drives it, let's leave it at that.

So based on that, the fact that it needs to be a focused hard-driven car, high 12s period! If you guys have ideas, I'm listening. Of course everyone will say start with K-Pro I/H/E, but I know there needs to be more to it.

I'm thinking cams, suspension work, IMMs, Stoptech stage 2 (cuz yes, it's also important to me to stop better), and a very good tune. Tranny work, I know I want LSD, new FD and 6th gear (for MPG when I'm not letting it loose). It's gotta be clean, I'm not sacrificing any of the creature comforts, I want to pass inspection in NJ which means cat stays (visually) and emissions is a go (KPro).

I know I want a short shift and was leaning towards BC. If there's a better one (stronger, more reliable), I'll get it.

I don't just want the car to be fast, I want it to LAST, so quality, strength, and reliability are paramount to an extra couple 10ths.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i say just do I/RH/E, stage 2 cams,valve train,rbc mani,IMG,k pro,motor mounts, and LSD...supercharging is really the answer to your question though,so if you have not rode in a sc type-s I suggest you try to, because you may change your mind
SC I would consider, I did get a ride in one once and it was what I am looking for. Maintaining it isn't as simple or enjoyable, but it may be worth it. But, I am waiting for Redshift. :deadhorse

·
K24 > K20
4,605 Posts
supercharger man... thats the only way to have a nice streetable motor that wont wake the neighbors and still put down enough to give you traction problems in 3rd.

And as far as maintenance goes, i installed mine 2 months ago and haven't touched it since...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
SC I would consider, I did get a ride in one once and it was what I am looking for. Maintaining it isn't as simple or enjoyable, but it may be worth it. But, I am waiting for Redshift. :deadhorse
maintaining a sc for the rsx isnt as hard as what most people think ..I gave up on redshift a long time ago

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maintaining a sc for the rsx isnt as hard as what most people think ..I gave up on redshift a long time ago
hehehe, I know man, but I have faith in their product. I really think it could be great. I hope they get there.

I hear quite a few nightmare stories with JR, although I am open to positives. I'm a very positive person. =)

Rotrex requires losing my AC, so no way.

CT perhaps? Again, I am open to any suggestions although I really wanted an all motor build. Just NO TURBO! :D

1 - 20 of 102 Posts